• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1818 Suits

maufic

Reaction score
Hello,

I just notices that Brooks Brothers is having a sale on there 1818 suits. 2 suits for $999. From lurking around this forum its become obvious that Brooks Brothers sells quality merchandise, but my question is whether this sale is something special or is it common to find such a sale from Brooks Brothers. Should I be rushing out and buying a couple of these or will another similiar sale come along soon?

Also, what about the quality of the 1818 suits. Are the jackets fully or half canvassed? I'm assuming there not fully fused.

Thanks for the help from a newbie,

Maurizio

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a vintgage glen plaid 1818 that I really love. Soft shoulder, trim jacket, straight trousers with a subtle pleat. Someone at my work recently said it looked like I was wearing bespoke.

I don't know if the newer ones are as good but I would say 500 bucks for one is a good price.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can go to a store, try a bunch on, figure out what's your best size and what fabrics you like, and have good tailors fix the sleeves and pants for you, all for that cost, I think it's a great deal.

If you are ordering the suits sight unsween, and guessing at your best size, and taking them to an alterations tailor and paying $50 to have them finished, then I think it's not a good deal at all.

I have a newer Regent suit that I love. It's not the best-made thing in my closet, but it is well made and the way it fits, it looks great on me.

To answer your other question, I don't remember seeing a sale like this in the last few years.

maufic

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be graduating this fall and I just found out that as a student I can buy a Hickey Freeman suit (Madison Model) for $795. This is roughly a 40% dsicount from there usual price on there website. Now my question is: Do HF Madison suits usually go for $1395 as described on there website? Is $795 a good deal or can an HF Madison suit normally be found for $795 elsewhere?

It is my understanding that the HF Madison compares to a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece and is probably much better than an 1818. So which one should I go for? Assuming I like the cut and fit of both, what is everyones opinion. If the HF Madison is a really good deal should I go all out and get 2.

Thanks for the help,

Maurizio

dcdapper

Reaction score
The 1818 is a quality, half-canvas suit. The current sale is a good one, especially if you need two suits. This is very unusual for BB at this time of the year. Typically, BB might have one or two "Friends and Family" 25 percent off sales until Christmas. Usually, on Dec. 26, BB has a big sale. Before noon most things are 55 percent off. But, I seem to remember, that the sale on suits is 40 percent off for most of them. Sales must be hurting to have a 2 for 1 sale this early.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
Hello,

I will be graduating this fall and I just found out that as a student I can buy a Hickey Freeman suit (Madison Model) for $795. This is roughly a 40% dsicount from there usual price on there website. Now my question is: Do HF Madison suits usually go for $1395 as described on there website? Is $795 a good deal or can an HF Madison suit normally be found for $795 elsewhere?

It is my understanding that the HF Madison compares to a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece and is probably much better than an 1818. So which one should I go for? Assuming I like the cut and fit of both, what is everyones opinion. If the HF Madison is a really good deal should I go all out and get 2.

Thanks for the help,

Maurizio

I think Nordstroms has a trunk sale once a year where you can get a MTM HF suit for around that price. It is not typical to see a HF suit at that price, unless you happen to go to some annual sale.

style from the heartland

Reaction score
Anyone interested in combining efforts on the 2 for $999 BB's suits? I don't know the best way to accomplish but would be interested in considering if suitable trust arrangement could be reached for fund transfer.

From my perspective, 1 for $500 + half shipping is much better than 2 for $999 + shipping.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
half canvassed iirc

Can someone define half canvased? I know there was a thread on this not long ago that showed great pictures of how exactly half and full canvased suits are made. A link to that would help a lot.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by style from the heartland
Anyone interested in combining efforts on the 2 for $999 BB's suits? I don't know the best way to accomplish but would be interested in considering if suitable trust arrangement could be reached for fund transfer.

From my perspective, 1 for $500 + half shipping is much better than 2 for $999 + shipping.

Is there anything keeping you from buying two and sending one back for a refund?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by style from the heartland

Shipping is currently complimentary on their website.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
Hello,

Thanks for the help,

Maurizio

The 1818 suits have a much more modern cut to my eye than the HF Madison, which I think would better suit a person your age - unless the Madison fits your body type better. HF has a cut called the Barrett (I think) that is their attempt to go after the younger crowd, but I was told they're going to stop making it after next year. I found one on the sale rack at Off 5th that I picked up for about $300 and it fits like a glove. You can find HF suits cheaper than $795, but it's going to be hit or miss as far as the fabric / buttons / vents / pleats over ordering one or picking from a store with a large inventory. Saks off 5th, NM Last Call, Nord Rack, etc.. all carry them, but you have to know what line you're buying to make sure you're getting a decent deal. There are threads around here about HF Mainline vs HF Ltd. vs HF Hand Tailored etc. Some of their suits are fused and not canvased, so you have to know what you're looking at.

Originally Posted by Ataturk
Is there anything keeping you from buying two and sending one back for a refund?

Yeah, they will then only refund the diff between the single suit price and the $999.

maufic

Reaction score
I think I will probably pick up a couple of the BB suits on line. I'm a 46R but I was wondering if this is the size I should get. I'm 5'11" about 210. I have about a 6 or 7 inch drop. I'm generally thought of as big boned (if that really does exist). Currently I fit a 46R Calvin Klein suit really well, but I'm not sure how the cut of a Calvin Klein suit compares to BB suits

I'm considering a Regent or Fitzgerald (or one of each). I'm a little confused on the cut of each of these. From discussions I've read online it seems that the Fitzgerald is the is the slimmest of the two but when I look at the sizing chart on BB's website the Regent has a 7" drop and the Fitzgerald has a 6". I assumed from this and what is written about each suit on the site that the Regent is the trimmer of the two but I'm not sure, can someone clear this up for me?

Also, the Fitzgerald is said to have higher armholes, sorry for my ignorance, but what affect does this have on the look and fit of the suit? I have a wide back, will the higher arm holes affect the fit of the suit?

So, if I'm normally a 46R (Calvin Klein) how would I fit 46R Regent or Fitzgerald? I realize the best way to find out is to go down to BB and try them on, but I live in Toronto and we don't have a BB here so I'm trying my best to figure it out online. Any, help is very appreciated.

One last question, I assume that each suit will have enough material to be let out a bit. For example, the pants will have 1.5-2 inches to be let out if necessary?

Thanks,
Maurizio

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads