• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
That said, I would not recommend an MBA unless you are going to one of the top 10.
This is absolutely horrible advice, unless you plan on working in ibanking.
Originally Posted by Flambeur
A company that would encourage you to get a non-top10 MBA is not a company you want to be working for...
laugh.gif

That's weird. I have family on the west coast who are in top management at two different major studios. Two have MBAs, neither is from a top 10 school. I guess the largest studios in the world are "companies you wouldn't want to work for". I can see why someone tagged this thread with the word douche.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
That's weird. I have family on the west coast who are in top management at two different major studios. Two have MBAs, neither is from a top 10 school. I guess the largest studios in the world are "companies you wouldn't want to work for". I can see why someone tagged this thread with the word douche.

I see recognizing sarcasm is not one of your strong suits? Regardless, if you are the type that ends up in control of a major studio, it might have nothing to do with where you got your MBA.

This is absolutely horrible advice, unless you plan on working in ibanking.

You are entitled to your own opinion, as I am to mine.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's usually the pretentious douche bags in ibanking that would say something so ridiculous to the tune of "don't even get an MBA unless it's from a top school". That's completely and utterly ridiculous. There are tons of CEO's in this country who don't have MBAs from top 10 schools, as well as extremely successful people in every field of business.

beny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by don_andomo
That's funny . . . graduates of those "safeties" get jobs at Wall Street firms as ASSOCIATES, not ANALYSTS. You're just an analyst ***** (at a commercial bank!) pretending to be an HBS grad.

I graduated from HBS as part of a 3-degree-joint-degree program in which I was enrolled. Eventually dropped the third degree and went to work directly after my MBA. Since I had no work experience and was only 23, I was hired as a senior analyst - this is not uncommon at all of the BB banks. I don't know for what you're compensating... perhaps you couldn't land that big ibanking job? Either way, take it elsewhere; you're below me.

don_andomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
I graduated from HBS as part of a 3-degree-joint-degree program in which I was enrolled. Eventually dropped the third degree and went to work directly after my MBA. Since I had no work experience and was only 23, I was hired as a senior analyst - this is not uncommon at all of the BB banks. I don't know for what you're compensating... perhaps you couldn't land that big ibanking job? Either way, take it elsewhere; you're below me.

This is getting funnier and funnier. If you really did go to HBS, you'd know that there's no "3-degree-joint-degree program." Yes, HBS admits students while they're still in college, but they're required to work for two years after graduating and before enrolling at HBS. No one graduates HBS to become an investment banking analyst at an investment bank. That would be pathetic.

Good luck with your "ibanking" job, however long you'll last without deal flow and under your new commercial banking overlords. Maybe next year you'll apply to business schools, and perhaps some of the "safeties" would admit you. Until then, try not to stress out.

JohnRov

Reaction score
It's usually the pretentious douche bags in ibanking that would say something so ridiculous to the tune of "don't even get an MBA unless it's from a top school". That's completely and utterly ridiculous. There are tons of CEO's in this country who don't have MBAs from top 10 schools, as well as extremely successful people in every field of business.

Exactly. The majority of people getting their MBAs are already working. Many don't have the option to relocate so their choices are limited. You'll never get anywhere in the long run because of where you got your MBA. Performance matters. If you get a job because you went to Harvard, chances are you are working with many individuals who went to similar schools.

There are more reasons to get an MBA than just going into ibanking. Nobody cares that you went to a top 5 as opposed to a top 20 school if you are in marketing. If you want to do operations or IT, there are better schools than the top 5 in the overall rankings list. You need to match the school to your goals.

JohnRov

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
So how would one get into a prestigious school without having prestigious grades or a big extra curricular rap sheet? I want to go to a great school like ucla or usc and know I would bust ass there, but am afraid of not getting in since i never really tried or cared about getting good grades in college or HS. Now Im just a working bum...

Like I said before, they look at the whole person when admitting. They are trying to build a diverse class since you do a ton of group work and there is a lot of debate in class. Try to get opportunities at work where you can excel and lead. These are things you can bring out in your interview. It's not only what the school can offer you, but what you can offer the school.

Study for your GMATs. The study guides give you some good test-taking strategies that I would have been lost without. The longer you are out the less your undergrad grades are going to matter (I am pretty sure Tepper didn't even ask for my HS grades).

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnRov
Like I said before, they look at the whole person when admitting. They are trying to build a diverse class since you do a ton of group work and there is a lot of debate in class. Try to get opportunities at work where you can excel and lead. These are things you can bring out in your interview. It's not only what the school can offer you, but what you can offer the school. Study for your GMATs. The study guides give you some good test-taking strategies that I would have been lost without. The longer you are out the less your undergrad grades are going to matter (I am pretty sure Tepper didn't even ask for my HS grades).
Here's the undergrad class for the MBA class of 2010 at HBS.
class10graph.gif
In case you're wondering who some of these 49 older kids are (7+ years out of undergrad), here they are: http://www.hbs.edu/news/releases/lif...cefellows.html In case you're wondering, you better be an army officer, have a PhD or and MD, or maybe, just maybe an international student from a country that still has a draft (like Israel - 3+ years wasted in the army mandatory) Keep that in mind when you decide to work for 1 more year to get more experience to increase your chances... best of luck, --trajan

athletics

Reaction score
I am going to MBA school in two months. I made the decision to apply just 10 weeks ago when I found out my target school was accepting for Spring. 2009. I went from pipedream to studying for the GMAT over night. The application process was a lot of work when you squeeze it in to a 6 week period, especially considering I have been out of school for 7+ years, work a lot and just got married.

I found out this week that I have been accepted to the evening program at Georgia Tech, my undergrad is from there in engineering and I am very impressed with their program. I compared to all the local schools and we have a good handful. I am very excited about going to MBA school.

Also, my undergrad gpa was pretty bad. GMAT was good, considering my accelerated studying. I think the strength of my application was I have good work experience, manage a team, showed interest in the program and had a few guys I know from the program put in a good word for me. It helps to know people I guess.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by athletics
I am going to MBA school in two months. I made the decision to apply just 10 weeks ago when I found out my target school was accepting for Spring. 2009. I went from pipedream to studying for the GMAT over night. The application process was a lot of work when you squeeze it in to a 6 week period, especially considering I have been out of school for 7+ years, work a lot and just got married.

I found out this week that I have been accepted to the evening program at Georgia Tech, my undergrad is from there in engineering and I am very impressed with their program. I compared to all the local schools and we have a good handful. I am very excited about going to MBA school.

Also, my undergrad gpa was pretty bad. GMAT was good, considering my accelerated studying. I think the strength of my application was I have good work experience, manage a team, showed interest in the program and had a few guys I know from the program put in a good word for me. It helps to know people I guess.

Congrats - that's pretty much what I did two summers ago when I made the decision to apply, took the GMAT and applied all within 3-weeks.

It'll be a fun couple years for you!

athletics

Reaction score
They say the scores are only good for 5 years. I don't know if a school would see a score from 10 years ago because they see ALL scores, not just the most recent. I would think its not very likely the old score would show up.

Originally Posted by merkur
What happens if you did the GMAT 10 years ago and got a high score but didn't apply to business school and then do the GMAT again now but end up with a much lower score (say 100 points lower)? How would business schools look upon something like that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads