• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Your Current Workout

Oldboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BPerm
Mon & Thurs - Workout A: DB press Flat Bench Press DB Fly's Cable Fly's Incline DB press Incline Fly's Decline Bench Press Decline DB press Decline Fly's Hammer Curls BB curls SB curls Abs-20 minutes Sprints-20 minutes (longest Day) Tues & Fri - Workout B: T bar Rows Military Press Single arm DB row Dead Lift Lat pull Downs DB Shrugs BB Shrugs DB Pullovers Close Grip pull downs Pull ups Weighted Chin Ups Dips Kickbacks Triceps Cable Push Downs Overhead DB Extensions 15 minutes cool down jog Wed & (optional) Sat - Workout C: Front Squats Leg Press Squats Hang and Cling Seated leg curls BB lunges Calf Raisers 40 minutes run (The only day that actually has Cardio)
Wow, that is some SERIOUS volume! Workouts A and B combine for nearly 30 different exercises and you do each twice a week? What kind of results are you getting with this routine?

Kris

Reaction score
Due to my work schedule and family time, I only have very specific times to work out. This isn't my preferred split, but it's what I'm currently able to do:

Monday through Thursday:
5:30 am

A mix of...

- 1 to 3 mile run

- 0 to 15 minutes on stadium stairs

- 6 intervals: Super-burpee/in-place uppercut sprints (30 sec/ 30 sec/ 30 sec/ 30 sec; 1 minute walking rest)

Friday
8 am

Lat pulls 5x7

Cable rows 5x7

Bent BB row 5x5

BB shrugs 5x6

Clean/jerk 1x10, 1x5, 4x3

Deadlift 1x10, 1x5, 4x3

Cable crunch, 5x15

Side db crunch 5x30/side

Saturday
8 am

Incline bb press 5x7

Decline bb press 5x10

Flat bb press 5x8

Front bb raise 5x8

Lateral db or cable raise 5x10

Bent lateral db or cable raise 5x10

Upper pec cable flex 5x10

Lower pec cable flex 5x10

Sac Kings abs

Sunday
8am

Cable-ball tricep extension 5x6

Skullies 5x8

Reverse bb curls 5x7

Cable or bar curls 5x10

Forearm spindle 5 wind ups/ unwinds

Hack squats 5x10

Front squats 2x10

Explosive squat/press 4x10

Sac Kings abs

That's it. My run days are at the HS track by my house. My lift days are in my garage.

Some guy at the track said I train like a convict.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Rocketeer
Sorry, Greg and Lauren Glassman beat you to it, but they added "and make sure it kicks your ass". It's called CrossFit, and it's my workout. Well, that and Aussie Rules Football with the Baltimore/DC Eagles.

I don't think Milhouse, Whacked or myself equate our work to crossfit, although there maybe some crossover.

Also, we don't pay for our workouts.

BPerm

Reaction score
Well for my workout on A day and B day I can break it up so I don't keep doing the same workouts on the same day or if I feel like I didn't have a great workout the time before I can cram in everything.

It usually takes about an hour and a half.
But since I work out by myself it goes a lot quicker then with a partner.

Well the results I get are pretty substantial because I never platou.
I work out solid for 10 weeks straight and take a break for 2 weeks with no physical activity besides jogging.

Every other 10 weeks I cycle Creatine (which can be bad for you if you are not properly hydrated). But I never stop with proper eating, protein shakes, weight gainers and essential Vitamins and Amino Acids.

It took me a long time to build the endurance up to go for that long and workout hard.
Because Generally speaking people shouldn't workout for more then an hour. Anymore then that and your energy reserves are depleted; you are no longer breaking down muscle.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
i just recently began working out usually Wednesdays and Fridays, with running every other day and Monday as a rest day. My friend is helping me out and teaching me correct form and what not, please tell me what you guys think of our usual work out
some things like bench press we always do, the others my friend chooses between them but we usually do 5-6 exercises a work out session, a lot of times we do 3 compound exercises with 2-3 auxiliary exercises

Always 5x5:
Bench Press
Squats
Dead lift
Shoulder Press
Rows
Shrugs
Dumbbell press
Pull ups/Chin ups
Lat pull down
Jondas(?) sit ups

there are maybe a few more but i cant think of any others off the top of my head
He's a great teacher, form and safety are always a priority with him so i know im in good hands
He also has me taking protein afterward and he wants me to start taking some right when i wake up in the mornings also
Does this sound all good? not that I doubt him but i just wanna make sure im on the right track, what might be good for him might not be good for me since im just starting out, I was iffy on the protein at first but it seems like a good idea

BPerm

Reaction score
Yeah drinking a protein shake when you wake up is fine. If you are looking to loose some weight then go on a run or jump rope before you drink the protein shake or eat anything.

If you are trying to bulk up then your biggest thing is just food intake, proper hydration, good amount of sleep and working out.

Just make sure your protein intake is at a high enough level so that you actually are getting enough.

you should intake about 1 gram of protein per lb you weigh to stay at the same weight.

Say you wanted to stay at 160. That means you should intake 160 g each day.
Or if you weighed 160 and you want to get to 180. You should be taking in 180g each day.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Yeah drinking a protein shake when you wake up is fine. If you are looking to loose some weight then go on a run or jump rope before you drink the protein shake or eat anything.

If you are trying to bulk up then your biggest thing is just food intake, proper hydration, good amount of sleep and working out.

Just make sure your protein intake is at a high enough level so that you actually are getting enough.

you should intake about 1 gram of protein per lb you weigh to stay at the same weight.

Say you wanted to stay at 160. That means you should intake 160 g each day.
Or if you weighed 160 and you want to get to 180. You should be taking in 180g each day.

ahhh i c
im 180 or so right now, i actually wanna get down to 160, so should i be taking in 160 g protein a day?
I run just about every other day at night with the exception of this week since i wanna get a little better from a slight cold, and ive been sleeping earlier as well so i think that's really helping too
ive also overhauled my diet, i do 5-6 small meals a day, at about 300-400 calories and its usually 3 meals of the day full of of protein, mostly from chicken and fish with a protein shake right when i wake up everyday as well as a post work out protein shake
would it be a good idea to take a protein shake after a run? i usually just eat some fruits or something to get some energy back into my body but would a protein shake do me good?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only been following this routine for a month, but it is working - I've lost 3 inches off my waist and put about an inch on my chest, and about a half-inch on my arms and quads. I haven't actually lost much weight (from about 195 to 185) but my proportions are changing.

I split body parts (sort of) as follows:

Monday: Legs: Deadlift, Squat, Machine leg curls, Hack Squats, seated calf raise. I also do power cleans if I have a spotter/trainer to make sure I'm doing them right (I realize that's not really a leg exercise)

Tuesday: Chest: Incline bench, dips, flat dumbbell bench, one armed cable fly, Machine fly

Wednesday: Back: Dumbell Rows, T-Bar rows, Wide grip / close grip alternating lat pulldowns, standing barbell or cable rows, hyperextensions. Sometimes I do pull-ups instead of lat pulldowns, but I am ashamed to say I can only do about 5 pull-ups, so I need a spotter

Thursday: Shoulders: Seated front military press (alternate sets behind and in front of head) Front raises, lateral raises, machine reverse fly.

Friday: Arms: Dips again, cable pushdowns, skullcrushers, barbell curls, preacher curls, 21's (that's an ez bar curl where you do 7 curls from the bottom to the halfway point, 7 from the halfway to the full curl point, and then 7 full curls.

Saturday and Sunday off, except I go to a boxing gym on some weekends. I also fence with a club on Wednesday nights when I can. I do abs every other day - mostly just bicycles and crunches. No cardio to speak of.

I only do one or two sets of each exercise BUT (except for dips) I do "declining weight" sets - I start with a weight I can only do 3 or 4 reps of, go to failure, pull off 20-25% of the weight, go to failure, pull off another 25%, then go to failure. It hurts. I also don't rest more than 30 seconds between any two sets.

I also changed my diet. The standard plan of limiting high-glycemic carbs and up the protein intake to about 200-250g per day. Nothing fancy. I eat whatever I want one day a week (usually saturday)

BPerm

Reaction score
No if you want to lose weight taking a protein shake after run every time wouldn't be the absolute best thing. It is always best to try and get in as many whole foods as possible before using your protein supplements.

Well trying to drop 20gs of protein lower then your body weight isn't necessarily the best idea. I'd say keep taking in around 180g to 200g. Increase protein and decreased carbs is key to any diet.

Just make sure you aren't taking in excess carbs or calories and it sounds like you should be fine.
300 to 400 calories each day? That is very low and you are sufficiently depriving your body of its proper nutrients. It is hard enough for you body to go off of 1200 calories a day.

Say you are 5'10" weighing 180 lbs (just a guess since I don't think any rather tall guy would want to drop that much weight. Most likely the opposite lol) Your BMR (basal metabolic rate - How many calories you burn each day on average.) should be right around 1800 - 1900. Which isn't taking into effect your increased metabolic rate because of your increased working out. So if you are truly only taking in 300 to 400 calories a day you are burning fat TOO quickly. Yes I know, I know, burning fat too quickly? "that is exactly what I want to do." Not unless you want to pay the price with side effects from losing so much weight (including fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, constipation and Gallstones). Even while taking in 1300-1400 calories you are still burning 500+ calories each day if you are staying active. Lots of Chicken, Lots of Fish, and Top Sirloin Stakes should do the trick... Dieting doesn't mean you have to eat crappy food; just not as much. But most likely it will be rather bland to your liking.

The biggest thing you can do is just listen to your body.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
haha noooo you misunderstood, i dont eat ONLY 300-400 calories a day id say that's about maybe 2 or 3 meals of my day that are 300-400 calories, i usually do very light breakfast, lunch and dinner type meals and in between i snack with things like granola bars, lots of fruit, string cheese, yogurt and other things. Im very well aware that eating only 300-400 calories is one of the worst things one can do to try and lose weight, but i appreciate your concern
blush.gif
lmao
I try my best to watch my diet now, i only splurge once or twice a week on a meal or two, so i think as long as i keep that up ill be good
and ill just keep eating fruits after a run, but ill take a protein shake every morning still
thanks for the great advice tho its very much appreciated
fing02[1].gif

just one more question tho...
how much protein should i be taking in my shake? my friend told me to do 2 scoops, which is about 48 grams of protein and 240 calories if im not mistaken (optimum nutrition whey protein) but thats after we work out, should i just do one scoop for my shake when i wake up?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I practice Bikram Yoga everyday and swim for an hour 3 times a week. I watch what I eat and I've maintained my waistline
smile.gif

BPerm

Reaction score
Haha I was going to question how you still had the energy to type on the forum with only 300-400 calories in you...
tounge.gif

In the morning start off with one scoop in milk(two in water if you are lactose intolerant). Which makes it not taste half bad.

The shake you take after your workout should indeed contain 2 scoops.

All my advice has never applied to me btw. I have never been on a diet but I have helped friends shed an abundance of pounds. The only diet I was ever one was a weigh gaining one I made up that consisted of me in taking 4000-5000 calories each day. 20lbs in 2 months was the result.

But first and foremost if you want to lose weight then dedicate yourself 100%. Learn to enjoy working out; don't think of it as a chore or something you "have" to do. In a week or two you will see some changes. Just like gaining muscle, losing weight takes time and dedication.

Seems like your friend know what they're talking about. Listen to them and in no time you will have to buy new clothes that are smaller sizes.

Good luck.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Haha I was going to question how you still had the energy to type on the forum with only 300-400 calories in you...
tounge.gif

In the morning start off with one scoop in milk(two in water if you are lactose intolerant). Which makes it not taste half bad.

The shake you take after your workout should indeed contain 2 scoops.

All my advice has never applied to me btw. I have never been on a diet but I have helped friends shed an abundance of pounds. The only diet I was ever one was a weigh gaining one I made up that consisted of me in taking 4000-5000 calories each day. 20lbs in 2 months was the result.

But first and foremost if you want to lose weight then dedicate yourself 100%. Learn to enjoy working out; don't think of it as a chore or something you "have" to do. In a week or two you will see some changes. Just like gaining muscle, losing weight takes time and dedication.

Seems like your friend know what they're talking about. Listen to them and in no time you will have to buy new clothes that are smaller sizes.

Good luck.

hahaha yea idk how celebs on those kinda diets function id pass out the first day if i did that kinda extreme dieting
tounge.gif

thats what i did in the morning for a day, i did 1 scoop with milk, it taste great lol but my friend disapproved, he told me that when you do that, or have any kind of dairy product prior to/with protein intake, it will line your stomach slowing down the absorption of protein, any thoughts on this?
as much as i like it with milk i just listened to him and so now i do 1.5 scoops with water in the morning
as for post workout, me and my friend do use 2 scoops of protein, but im gonna buy some dextrose/maltodextrin soon so well add that in, i just read about the effects that simple/complex carbs had when added to the shake, very interesting stuff
smile.gif

lucky you for having to go on a "weight gaining" diet haha we seem to have opposite problems, i gain weight without trying
frown.gif

and no doubt attitude towards working out has a big part in the success of a routine, I love hitting the gym with my friend and running on my off days, my work out is one of my favorite parts of my daily schedule, and yea i already see some changes its been about 3 weeks since i started, my jeans feel very loose so its nice to see/feel the effects my workout is having and im sure ill see more results if i keep at it
Thanks for the great advice btw, im glad to have this forum and be able to talk to knowledgeable people like yourself Bperm, and yea my friend knows a great deal so im very thankful to have him helping/teaching me aswell
fing02[1].gif

aleeboy

Reaction score
I workout three times per week and select from the following list of exercises:

Upper:
- DB Shoulder Press (seated/standing)
- BB Bench Press (flat/incline)
- DB Bench Press (flat/incline)
- DB Bent over rows
- Machine rows
- Chin-ups
- Pull-ups
- Lateral Raises
- Reverse Flies
- EZ BB curl
- Hammer Culs (DB/Cable)
- Bicep Curls (DB/BB/Cable)
- Skull Crushers
- Dips (BW and Weighted w/ DB between legs)
- Seated Shoulder Cleans

Lower:
- Squats
- Deadlifts
- Good mornings
- Jump Squats
- King Dead-Lifts

Will be introducing harmstring curls and leg presses for variety tonight. I try to mix it up with these exercises. I also try to work heavy on compounded pushing exercises than I hit my biceps hard and do something like Dead lifts. If I do Pulling exercises on my upper body, I would hit the tris hard and do squats.

I've been getting good results, but my size is stabilising. Strength is up significantly after two months of prep work with only chin-ups, pull-ups and dips - they do work.

Andrew

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads