• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music, clothes...are they related?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wear mostly raf simons and some swedish stuff thrown in and listen to old new wave, industrial, punk, and synthpop so for me they are whether directly or indirectly.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are into a musical culture, then it would be, but if you are just like "hey i listen to so and so" then I don't see how...

When I was going to at the minimum 4 shows a month compared to now where it is more like a max of 1 show every 2 months, I obviously was dressed more /w the culture...

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Only way music influences my clothing choices is wearing a Muse or Strokes Tee.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
If you are into a musical culture, then it would be, but if you are just like "hey i listen to so and so" then I don't see how...

When I was going to at the minimum 4 shows a month compared to now where it is more like a max of 1 show every 2 months, I obviously was dressed more /w the culture...

Out of curiousity, what bands are you going to see? And how would you consider dressing with the culture?

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I'd imagine that the correlation for most people would be that music influences how you feel, and how you feel influences how you dress.

Or how you feel influences both how you dress and what you listen to.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Out of curiousity, what bands are you going to see? And how would you consider dressing with the culture?

I used to go to tons hardcore show in new jersey/philly/new york:
Seeing bands like:
Crime In Stereo
Righteous Jams
Blacklisted
Modern Life is War
Cold World
The Banner
Mental
The Wrong Side
Lion Of Judah
Champion
The Mongoloids
Pellinore
Guns Up!

every week was another good tour, good show
at one point you would see me in nike dunks /w camo shorts and a black band tee everyday

not so much anymore as I work fulltime, and dress more like my current lifestyle

Smells Like Poor

Reaction score
In Hardcore the in-group/out-group behavior really dictates how one should dress. If you're really into Hardcore, it's easy to get sucked into the in-group culture.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I used to go to tons hardcore show in new jersey/philly/new york:
Seeing bands like:
Crime In Stereo
Righteous Jams
Blacklisted
Modern Life is War
Cold World
The Banner
Mental
The Wrong Side
Lion Of Judah
Champion
The Mongoloids
Pellinore
Guns Up!

every week was another good tour, good show
at one point you would see me in nike dunks /w camo shorts and a black band tee everyday

not so much anymore as I work fulltime, and dress more like my current lifestyle

Nice. Yeah, I just moved to the Long Island area, so I've gone to a couple Crime in Stereo shows. They definitely put on a good show. Champion is good too. I can definitely comiserate with only being able to go to shows occasionally
musicboohoo[1].gif

I always find it interesting when scene kids grow up and how they still incorporate their subculture into their new roles as adults.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I'm not really sure what influences my clothing choices anymore. When I first joined SF, I drank the Kool-Aid without second thought. Now I'm starting to move away from the SF aesthetic a bit. I'm not sure what I'm moving towards, but I guess time will tell...

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I dressed according to what I listen to, then I would look like diarrhea. I think I'm too complex to let what I listen to dictate how I look. Music is only one aspect.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Now I'm starting to move away from the SF aesthetic a bit.

I'm in the sorta same boat (tho I dont think I ever adopted the SF aesthetic as much as some have), I def had a period where I broadened my horizons more thanks to SF, but I'm pretty much gone back to a lot of stuff I was into pre-SF...musical inclinations being a big overall part of why I choose what I wear

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
when I was younger and more impressionable....I rocked the indie uniform and loved it.

These days, my tastes in music have gone more mainstream/hip hop and my clothing have fallen more to boring, safe prep looks. A lot of it has to do with joining the real world...

but to answer your question: Oh yeah.

Kohan

Reaction score
I guess the mood you're in while putting yourself together will come through in your music selection just like it does in your wardrobe, which is as good a reason as any why they seem to vibe for me.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
My Adidas haven't had laces in them since the mid-80's.

gawkrodger

Reaction score
whilst music doesn't influence what I wear on a day-to-day basis, music scenes/cultures have had a definite impact on my personal dress sense. For example, my interest in trainers was partly sparked by hip-hop and sections of diy HC scene (and skateboaring).

I still wear band t-shirts (though a lot less than when I was younger). Hell, I'll wear the likes of my SSD, Rites of Spring and HHIG t-shirts until they're rags. Shame most band t-shirts are black. I dislike black t-shirts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads