• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones Lowndes

Star

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am thinking of picking up my first pair of double Monk strap shoes for going out socially and the Crockett and Jones Lowndes has caught my eye.

Was wondering if

i)anyone has this shoe and can comment
ii) is this a well built shoe (last for a long time)
iii) are there other alternatives I should consider
iv) how do they compare to Loake size wise as I wear a 9.5 on the McQueens ( I will probably get them online on pl**.com)

This is not a cheap shoe so want to make the correct choice and appreciate wise minds.

CrockettAndJonesMonkLowndesBlack2.jpg

Thanks

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All I can say is that the best monk I have seen is either this or the Paul Stuart job with the Lowndes in front a tad.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
All I can say is that the best monk I have seen is either this or the Paul Stuart job with the Lowndes in front a tad.

^I agree.

My only pair of C&J is the Westbourne, on the same 348 last as the Lowndes. While the fit is great on my feet, I'm still concerned the Lowndes might fit differently because it's a double monk.

I recently tried the AE Mora double monk in my usual size and there was way too much volume across the vamp, even with the strap tightened all the way down. It might be a case that that particular AE last is not suitable for my feet, or it could be due to the fact that the shoe is not a laceup. That's why I'd prefer to be able to try these on in person before ordering through P. Lal...

Perhaps other members here who own both the Lowndes and other C&J bals/oxfords on the 348 could comment on relative fit.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the 348 and have 3 pairs on that last, no double monks through and I'd be afraid of ordering without trying it on before as it look less adjustable than a laced shoe.
Of course you can flip them here or on eBay if they don't fit
wink.gif

sfo423

Reaction score
The lowndes will fit a bit looser in width than any other laced 348s. Nothing an insole can't fix.

Great shoe though.

wq1999

Reaction score
I have a Polo double monk made by C&J. Mine are not on the 348, but they are fantastic shoes - stylish, durable and easily among my most comfortable shoes. I would by those without hesitation.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"pl**" is the best resource, he himself sells loake and can tell the difference in sizing, if any.

Ixelles

Reaction score
I have a number of 348's, including Drummond x 2, Hallam, Tetbury and 2 Lowndes (Calf & Suede). All are size 9 1/2, including the calf Lowndes. The exception is the suede Lowndes, which I bought in a 9D fitting, based on some excellent advice from the store owner (www.sirmax.nl). The suede one has loosened up (was a little tight initially) and feels great even after a whole day's walking.

I personally find the double monk more comfortable than a single.

On its durability, I've had the Lowndes in calf since Nov 2007 and it is still in great shape after at least 40 outings.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Not to thread Hijack, but is it better to Order from Pl@l or Pediwe@r? Pedi matchs Pl@l prices less 5%?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this shoe
bounce2.gif
...and one of these days I will get them!!

Regards.

jsherman02

Reaction score
I have this shoe coming from T&A. If it wasn't for FED-EX f***ing it up with signature required, I would have had them already.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been craving a pair of black Lowndes recently after rediscovering this pic on thesartorialist. I think black shoes and khakis are usually cringeworthy, but this works. I would pair mine with jeans and charcoal trousers me thinks.

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
I have a pair of Mertons in calf, and a Monk Strap Boot called the Bagshot C&J made for Barneys both on the 348 last. I WILL be 'stepping' up for a pair of Lowndes!

GREAT looking shoe!!!! GO FOR IT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads