• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I in trouble now?

dclloyd

Reaction score
So I've been good over the past year and managed to lose a total of 50 lbs. At 5'9" I'm now down to about what I think my ideal weight is at about 155.

The challenge is this: previously I was wearing a 44R suit and I didn't realize it at the time but I guess I had more than my fair share of selection when it came to suits and jackets. Finding good deals was easy!

So after a trip to my local Harry Rosen this weekend I've determined that I'm now a 38R, bordering on a 37R. What kills me was the complete lack of options in that size - it seemed like for every twenty 44's they had there was maybe one 38. On the sale rack it was even worse - there was a single 38 and it was a short ...

Is this typical? Am I going to have a problem now that I'm into a smaller size? Of course I never paid attention to the selection in any other size other than a 44 so I was surprised that my options have apparently changed so significantly ...

nostrings

Reaction score
Your problem is fairly typical. When I was a bit lighter, it was necessary to buy a size larger and do alterations from there. Sale racks are futile if you're looking for smaller sizes these days. Good Luck.

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Try being a 36.

Also, if you're 5'9", you're more likely a 38S than an R.

I could only imagine, I don't think I saw any 36's. Do you do MTM?

Tried on a 38S but found it was too short - I have fairly long arms (34 in a shirt) and a somewhat proportionately long torso so the 38R's seemed to be ok on the length. Of course it may differ by brand ...

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the great mysteries of the retail world. Why follow the typical supply ratios of 1 small: 2 medium: 3 large: 2 XL: 1 XXL (or the equivalent in chest sizes), when you know that demand for smalls is much greater than demand for XLs?

I've never understood this, as the evidence is there for all to see on the sale racks, but manufacturers follow the same formula year after year.

Real estate

Reaction score
DClloyd, I notice you are in Vancouver like me. It's near impossible to find something that fits me (36R) and even harder to find anything on the sale rack (I don't think I ever have!). I would think in Vancouver there would be more smaller sizes available because of the huge Asian population which tend to be wealthier, and physically built smaller, and flood the designer departments. I asked one of the sales associates why they don't order a larger amount of smaller sizes because of this. I'm sure their sales would double if they supplied their market with prodcuts that fit better.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Try being a 36.
Dude, try being a 34S.
Also, if you're 5'9", you're more likely a 38S than an R.
I thought the "short" was for men below 5'7"? Or does it change with different brands?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Real estate
DClloyd, I notice you are in Vancouver like me. It's near impossible to find something that fits me (36R) and even harder to find anything on the sale rack (I don't think I ever have!). I would think in Vancouver there would be more smaller sizes available because of the huge Asian population which tend to be wealthier, and physically built smaller, and flood the designer departments. I asked one of the sales associates why they don't order a larger amount of smaller sizes because of this. I'm sure their sales would double if they supplied their market with prodcuts that fit better.
Because we buy our clothes in Asia (partly b/c it is so bad here, so chicken/egg) or near Seattle I rarely buy anything from our stores, everything is oversized.

Real estate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Because we buy our clothes in Asia (partly b/c it is so bad here, so chicken/egg) or near Seattle
I rarely buy anything from our stores, everything is oversized.

What I'm trying to point out is that the high end stores are packed with asians, without us, Holt's would be empty, yet they tend to skew their sizes by having more larges available than the Smalls or mediums. I think they expanded the building so they could carry more clothing because their are too many of us, but they never changed how they distribute the sizes of their clothing. Asians buying clothes overseas or down south has nothing to do with the reason why Holt's (or other stores) carry 3 large sizes for every 1 small size....it may be why some of us have to go out of country to get our attire because nothing fits us properly in Vancouver

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Real estate

That's what I would have thought, with such a large Asian population a size like a 38 should be more average verus considered a small size! I suspect that both Harry Rosen and Holts do their buying from Toronto and don't take the regional differences into account.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Because we buy our clothes in Asia (partly b/c it is so bad here, so chicken/egg) or near Seattle
I rarely buy anything from our stores, everything is oversized.

Because they're made for oversized people (mostly fat, but I'm trying to be politically correct and all that).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads