• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wear a cold war era trenchcoat?

dj-jd

Reaction score
I'm 28 years old, and I've never worn a trenchcoat. I have one from 1964, that was used by West German Luftwaffe. This thing is dark blue, made out of wool, double breasted (aren't they all?), and a little long on the sleeves. I'm thinking about having it tailored, and wearing it. Am I out of my mind?

Thanks.
J

Quatsch

Reaction score
Not really to the point, but one day last spring I saw a young guy (definitely trying to stand out as much possible) wearing a WWII Wehrmacht overcoat. In the streets of Trier, Germany. I was apalled, and so was everyone else I saw. Which was, of course, what he was going for.

As long as its markedly different from WWII stuff (and you're not in Germany), I don't think it would be such a problem, especially if you're in America. People wear old RAF coats all the time, don't they?

dj-jd

Reaction score
Thanks... that post will help me narrow down what I'm asking a bit. I don't know it's style. It may be a big WW2 looking. It's heavy, and wool. I want to wear the coat with style. Ie. I want to wear it over my tweed jacket and tie when I'm out in the weather. I don't know if men still wear heavy trenchcoats or not.
Thanks.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
I'm 28 years old, and I've never worn a trenchcoat. I have one from 1964, that was used by West German Luftwaffe. This thing is dark blue, made out of wool, double breasted (aren't they all?), and a little long on the sleeves. I'm thinking about having it tailored, and wearing it. Am I out of my mind?

Thanks.
J

Lrn2Cloak/RobertGeller.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Where's Augusto with that rad DB coat of his?

I have a navy bridge coat (like a long peacoat) that I am waiting for the chance to wear.

I say if it's not too weird then wear it. Post pics.

dj-jd

Reaction score
It's not any stranger than a cat wearing a leather bomber jacket.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my youth I had a long gray wool DB overcoat from East Germany. It was a fantastic winter coat. It was something like a size 34, so I outgrew it part way through college.

dj-jd

Reaction score
Alright gents, a pic. It's wool, pretty heavy. What do you think about it? What about the eppulate buttons on the shoulders?

dj-jd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Nice. Does it have a storm button under the lapel?
There's a plastic button under the right side lapel only.

swiego

Reaction score
To be honest it does not look terribly different from modern wool overcoats I see at stores all the time.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW: It's not a trenchcoat, it's a double-breasted overcoat.
teacha.gif

dj-jd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
BTW: It's not a trenchcoat, it's a double-breasted overcoat.
teacha.gif

Thank you. How, and on what occasion, does one wear the double breasted overcoat?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
Not really to the point, but one day last spring I saw a young guy (definitely trying to stand out as much possible) wearing a WWII Wehrmacht overcoat. In the streets of Trier, Germany. I was apalled, and so was everyone else I saw. Which was, of course, what he was going for.

Why would one be apalled?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads