• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of days of decent wear. Mine are so comfy. I actually wore them when I took my dog for a walk today.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
I think I can help here...

For dress shoes I have:

9D AE Hale
9D AE Taunton (Borderline loose.)
9D AE Bel Air
9D AE Mora (Borderline loose.)
9D AE Soho
8.5 AE Soho (Borderline tight.)

I bought an 8 in the Red Wing GT and I'm very happy I did, as they fit perfectly in my opinion. (They required a bit of fighting to get into for the first week or so, but they're absolutely perfect now.)

I suggest sizing 1 down for the GT if you have a narrow or normally wide foot.

Thanks for the comments! My acual measured foot size and dress shoe size is US9D (AE Park Ave, AE Chester, Bass Weejuns, old USA made Cole Haan half brogues) and 8E or F for English shoes (depending on which they consider their medium width). I always go for a size 10 in sneakers (Nike, Gravis, etc). I do wear a size 9 in Converse Jack Purcells though...

Funny you mentionned the AE Mora; I finally had a chance to try on a pair on sale at Winners ($249 iirc) a couple of weeks ago. Wanted these for a while, but had to pass; they were a very poor fit for me. Best way I can describe it is there was too much volume. With the strap adjusted all the way down, they were still quite roomy in the vamp; I also tried the 8.5, but the length wasn't good.

Back to the Red Wing GT; while I do believe in breaking in a shoe, I don't subscribe to the idea that it should be tight to the point of being painful at first. I like my dress shoes to fit snug/just. With certain new shoes, that can mean foot fatigue after the first few full day wearings or merely cramped small toes.

I was under the impression most here recommended sizing down 1/2 from the usual dress shoe size...The only advantage I could get by sizing down 1 full size is that there'd be no mistaking if it's too small!

Anyone else care to chime in? Will probably get them from getoutside as suggested by another member: http://www.getoutsideshoes.com/product.php?id=1080

ryn

Reaction score
I went down 1/2 and the fit is good, I think one whole size down would be really tight and hard to put on. The break in is kicking ****** though, hopefully only a few days left until they mold to my feet.

cvac

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with receiving a pair with a badly cracked, dried out finish? I got a pair from shoebuy recently during one of their promotions and one of the boots has very cracked finish. It looks bad enough that I'm am going to return the boots in exchange for another pair. Just wondering if this was a common problem .....

JonB27

Reaction score
I didn't experience that, I got mine from a red wing store so I tried on several sizes and they were all in good shape.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
besides getoutside, bakershoe.com has them for $199 shipped. iron rangers are the same price there too.

ryan123

Reaction score
do these look good with slim jeans? So basically size down by 1?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryan123
do these look good with slim jeans? So basically size down by 1?
That's how I would do it if I bought a pair again, one size down from your true foot size. It depends on how slim the jeans are. I have two pair of jeans that are cut very closely to the APC New Standards, and I decided to sell the GTs, because my jeans were too slim for the chunk of the boot. The side view of me looked ridiculous with my jeans and those boots.

ryan123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
That's how I would do it if I bought a pair again, one size down from your true foot size. It depends on how slim the jeans are. I have two pair of jeans that are cut very closely to the APC New Standards, and I decided to sell the GTs, because my jeans were too slim for the chunk of the boot. The side view of me looked ridiculous with my jeans and those boots.

so something like the new cure wont work with these shoes?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received an e-mail from getoutside; my 9011 were shipped earlier today. Hope the fit will be good with the 8.5. They also mentionned that the price was increased today. I just checked and they're now $289CAD. Glad I decided to order them yesterday for $179!!!!!!!

Gavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
They also mentionned that the price was increased today. I just checked and they're now $289CAD.

Oh my ****. I'm so happy I got them last week!

chiral

Reaction score
I received an e-mail from getoutside; my 9011 were shipped earlier today. Hope the fit will be good with the 8.5. They also mentionned that the price was increased today. I just checked and they're now $289CAD. Glad I decided to order them yesterday for $179!!!!!!!

Thats what I get for hemming and hawing. ****.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression most here recommended sizing down 1/2 from the usual dress shoe size...The only advantage I could get by sizing down 1 full size is that there'd be no mistaking if it's too small!

Anyone else care to chime in? Will probably get them from getoutside as suggested by another member: http://www.getoutsideshoes.com/product.php?id=1080

I sized down 1/2, and I'm good. Others sized down 1.

Just go with your gut. If they are too big, do what Get Smart suggested, put an insole in. They will be 10x more comfortable this way.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I sized down 1/2, and I'm good. Others sized down 1.

Just go with your gut. If they are too big, do what Get Smart suggested, put an insole in. They will be 10x more comfortable this way.

+1 Yup, thought it safer that way too. I'll post comments on fit when I receive them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads