• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acura NSX

jakejake

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an Acura NSX as a leisure car. Right now I have a Subaru Impreza wagon as my every day car, but I guess it's fun to have a nicer car to drive on weekends. I'm looking to spend somewhere between 20K-40K so maybe a used NSX? What do you guys think? How expensive is it to maintain it? What would you get for that price range?
04.acura.nsx.500.jpg

captainmo

Reaction score
Maintenance - parts are probably on the expensive side, but you're getting Honda quality, so there shouldn't be any issues besides regular maintenance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainmo
Maintenance - parts are probably on the expensive side, but you're getting Honda quality, so there shouldn't be any issues besides regular maintenance.
+1

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside of excessive tire wear, and a few small issues here and there, you're looking at one of the most reliable exotics ever made.

taktikz

Reaction score
This is an excellent choice.... My father had one of these in 96. Everyone that came across the car ended up loving it....

Beta

Reaction score
clutches are money, but beyond that, its a great car for what it is. not a speed demon but definitely cool!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Outside of excessive tire wear, and a few small issues here and there, you're looking at one of the most reliable exotics ever made.

Yeah, I've heard that complaint from a number of people. None of them seemed the sort who were hard on the throttle.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Yeah, I've heard that complaint from a number of people. None of them seemed the sort who were hard on the throttle.
I can't quite remember, but I believe it was because of the camber setting of the rear-wheels. They're still very nice cars, I'm especially fond ofthe targa models.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are used to modern sports cars, you should definitely test drive one.

The NSX ergonomics remained relatively unchanged throughout the years from when the car was first introduced.

The first thing you will notice when you step into the car is the school bus sized steering wheel.

NSX prices have remained high. I would not buying anything older than a 2002, since the facelifted cars look more modern and have updated interiors with better wheels. In addition, any decent NSX is going to cost you at least 35K, starting for 1991s, with 2002+s with low mileage coming in at 40-50K. That's a negligible price difference, in my opinion, for getting a car at least 11 years newer.

The S2000 is a better car in nearly every way, so you should consider one as a fun car, considering you could get a year or two old S2000 for less than a seventeen year old NSX! Unfortunately, it is just not as sexy as the NSX.

One thing that people do not mention too often -- DO NOT buy an NSX unless you have a very well qualified independent Acura mechanic within reasonable driving distance. I am blessed to have a sixty year old retired Honda Master Tech in my area who runs a small shop and specializes in older Hondas such as the NSX. These cars are basically unplanned maintenance free -- but the timing belt and other major services (at an increased interval over regular Acuras) should only be performed by someone that really knows what they are doing -- as the timing belt job in an NSX is far more difficult than in an Integra. The mechanics at your local Acura dealership are far too young to have ever worked on the NSX when it was a current car and you stand a good chance of having your car messed up.

For 40K I would purchase a 2006 M3 Competition Package with 5K miles on it, with existing new car warranty and existing full maintenance package.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you're looking for.

The early NSXs are desirable because the steering is completely manual for really unmatched road feel, and hence the larger steering wheel, which I found acceptable in size. They were also probably the rawest versions, compared to later versions which softened and blinged up the car for wider appeal. But for a mid-engined sports car with great feel and suspension tuning, you can't really beat an NSX. You can approach it these days for a lot more $$$ (eg. Porsche Cayman), but I don't think you can exceed it.

There are drawbacks such as the alignment that ate up soft tires, but always remember that the higher performance a car, the more expensive its maintenance will be. Having access to a good, experienced Honda mechanic is very desirable, as many things on an 15-year old, limited-production car can go wrong.

For me, an M3 is like an apple to the NSX's orange. The M3 is a sedan made sporty, while the NSX is a real sports car. The S2000 may not be a good substitute because it's a convertible, and many track schools do not allow convertibles without extensive safety modifications. Again, it depends on why you're getting the car.

--Andre

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my list of $40k cars to buy, NSX would be far higher than the M3

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The NSX is a nice car but around $40K I'd save my pennies and get a pre-owned Cayman S. You can find some in the mid 40's if you look hard enough and it's a much newer car with great dynamics and a warranty.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first generation of the NSX has been developed with Senna. That should be enough to qualify, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads