• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a retail job.

IDirector

Reaction score
So I've got no experience in Retail clothing.

Do I have a shot at getting into one of the major dept stores a Bachelors in Business?

I have a full time job, just want to do something on the weekends and get paid for it. I spend my money on clothes anyways, so why not do it at a discount.

2ndname

Reaction score
I don't see why not? You probably have more job experience then the people they usually hire. My first job was retail and that was when I was in high school.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
retail is ****, stay away from it. It's going to be hard to find any openings for weekends regardless, those are the first things for part time workers to take.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
retail is ****, stay away from it. It's going to be hard to find any openings for weekends regardless, those are the first things for part time workers to take.
Exceptions are if you're a stocker for a retail store. I can leave the store to walk around the mall without being discovered.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
stocking was a **** job too IIRC.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
When I worked for Banana Republic, they had us on radios and sales would always ask if we had x in x size in x color, not the same situation.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
When I worked for Banana Republic, they had us on radios and sales would always ask if we had x in x size in x color, not the same situation.
Haven't ever had em make me do that yet, that's where I'm stocking too.

IDirector

Reaction score
So anyone in Houston work at a major dept store wanna help a buddy out?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IDirector
So anyone in Houston work at a major dept store wanna help a buddy out?
What kind of position are you looking for? It should be easy game, you already have a college degree. I've been hired from on the spot interviews while wearing day to day casual clothing.

IDirector

Reaction score
I don't know. Just part time work. I blow all my money on clothes, why not work for them as well.

I have a 9-5 (6 to 4).

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IDirector
I don't know. Just part time work. I blow all my money on clothes, why not work for them as well.

I have a 9-5 (6 to 4).

Well if you're trying to get into one of those bullshit positions (cashier, sales associate, stocker, etc) then it should be no problem.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd be waaaaay overqualified to work as a sales associate with a BBA.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mom's neighbor actually did this for a while. He was an accountant or something like that I think, didn't really need the money, but enjoyed it for whatever reason.

My sister also worked at a department store after she graduated college while searching for a "real" job, but still stayed on couple nights a week for a while afterwards.

I think everyone should work a retail and a restaurant job at least once in their lives, if for no other reason than it would probably make society overall much more polite and considerate.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
I think everyone should work a retail and a restaurant job at least once in their lives, if for no other reason than it would probably make society overall much more polite and considerate.

+1. Looking back on it, it was actually a decent time working at The Gap with employees around my age, joking around and stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads