• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homeless guy in my carport - a question of etiquette

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
In California I expect that would be assault. The police might not be amused. And then the problem would be motivated to come back...
Just use one of those Hobo signs I showed you...

Wow, glad I don't live in California. I prefer to be able to protect myself and my property.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Wow, glad I don't live in California. I prefer to be able to protect myself and my property.
You can. You just got to have a good reason to do so and, generally, simple trespass is not enough to justify the use of force.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^
Not sure what the point of putting that link... that's not what anybody is talking about here. And, the savage, senseless killing of the homeless for no reason other than to satisfy some sick fetish (which, essentially, is what that link talks about) is certainly something new.

There's a big difference between ensuring that a homeless man doesn't set up camp in your carport and setting him on fire... just because.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^There's a big difference between ensuring that a homeless man doesn't set up camp in your carport and setting him on fire... just because. There have been LOTS of killings of homeless people by sick individuals who do it because it's the easiest way to satisfy some sort of sick killing fetish without getting caught. That's not what anybody is talking about here. Not sure what the point of putting the link on this thread is, though... it's apples and oranges...
You edited yourself before I could answer you. Originally, you asked if Orsini had voted Let It Slide. I don't know, but I did. Based on your pre-edited post, I'd be more afraid of you than the homeless guy.​

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
You edited yourself before I could answer you. Originally, you asked if Orsini had voted Let It Slide. I don't know, but I did. Based on your pre-edited post, I'd be more afraid of you than the homeless guy.​
Oh, please could we be a little more melodramatic? You're acting like my original post was saying, "yee haa! let's burn us some homeless folk!" It wasn't, obviously. I edited my original post only because it wasn't clear in highlighting two points: 1) It's ridiculous and patronizing to post a link describing the savage and senseless murder of a homeless man on this thread, as though it has some correlation. 2) Voting "let it slide indefinitely" needs to be explained/justified, because I can't see AT ALL how you think it is a good idea. I certainly do NOT think violence is needed or justified, but letting a strange man who doesn't follow your requests or the commands of the police just keep sleeping in your carport seems a bit strange and inviting danger or problems for you and your family. Finally, if you think we are all such "savages" for advocating that some action (civil, adult, mature) be taken... then perhaps you should send the OP your address, so he can give it to the homeless man and set up camp at YOUR house.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Not sure what the point of putting that link... that's not what anybody is talking about here. And, the savage, senseless killing of the homeless for no reason other than to satisfy some sick fetish (which, essentially, is what that link talks about) is certainly something new. There's a big difference between ensuring that a homeless man doesn't set up camp in your carport and setting him on fire... just because.
Sounds like you've talked yourself into it... Got you all worked up, huh? Good. I'm a troll these days. When I get good enough, I intend to invade some forum and, over time, chase away the old guard and bend it to my will...

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember. However, I believe I indicated very clearly that that the fellow had to go, somehow.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Voting "let it slide indefinitely" needs to be explained/justified, because I can't see AT ALL how you think it is a good idea.
No.
No it does not have to be explained. It's my carport (whatever the hell that is) and I'll let whomever I want sleep there without explaining to you why. But let me give you a hint. Maybe Orsini and I ('cause we're in our 60s) have lived a varied life and maybe some of that time was spent in trespass. Sorry. And ******** in a coffee can is better than ******** on yourself. You're quite young, arent you?​

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No.
No it does not have to be explained. It's my carport (whatever the hell that is) and I'll let whomever I want sleep there without explaining to you why. But let me give you a hint. Maybe Orsini and I ('cause we're in our 60s) have lived a varied life and maybe some of that time was spent in trespass. Sorry. And ******** in a coffee can is better than ******** on yourself. You're quite young, arent you?​

Actually, it is NOT your carport, you are not the original poster. So yes, your answer does need to be explained given the current legal realities of the world.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Sounds like you've talked yourself into it... Got you all worked up, huh? Good. I'm a troll these days. When I get good enough, I intend to invade some forum and, over time, chase away the old guard and bend it to my will...
What in the world are you and Egdon Heath going on about? I'm not worked up... I was simply asking how you made the connection between an OP asking about advice about a homeless man in his garage and a link to an article about wanton/senseless murder? I'm saying there is no connection between the two and the subtle patronizing between you and Egdon Heath and the rest of us on this thread is bewildering. As to Egdon Heath, yes, I'm fairly young (~30). Nevertheless, I can tell you that there will not be a day in my life when I'm going to think it's a safe or fine thing for myself or my family to have some unknown stranger who ignores the police, watches/studies my daily schedule, etc. to sleep in my carport. The nature of debate/discussion revolves around questioning the other side. I was simply questioning the both of you, because I don't understand your viewpoint. Coming back with "I don't have to explain anything to you young'uns because you don't know anything" doesn't exactly thrill me much.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
]I can tell you that there will not be a day in my life when I'm going to think it's a safe or fine thing for myself or my family to have some unknown stranger who ignores the police, watches/studies my daily schedule, etc. to sleep in my carport.

+100

To the OP: If the cops can't help, then I suggest you wake up early one morning and surprise the guy. Do something to make him leave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads