• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visit to Yale for Admissions: Need Clothing Advice

Pylon

Reaction score
As I prepare to apply for graduate school for Fall 2009, I'm planning a tour of one of my top choice programs at Yale in November. They have three or four tour dates for the program, where prospective students may come, meet with an admissions person, sit in on a class or two, tour the campus, and hopefully make enough of an impression that your application squeaks into the less than 10% accepted.

I have a mediocre GPA from a private Franciscan college, so I am trying to be and appear absolutely outstanding in every other area - GRE scores, work experience since undergrad, personal statement, recommendation letters, etc. I really feel it will also be important to look and be impressive during this tour visit.

I've also been planning on updating my personal style, so I'm not married to anything in particular. My existing worksuits and clothing are nothing spectacular, though not shabby. I am, however, skinny and tall. Any ideas for what to wear? I don't want to look like I'm overdressed (french cuffs, dripping with gold, etc.), poorly dressed or underdressed. Any Yalies here with particular advice? I'd like to put a few hundred dollars into getting something together for this particular day. Any insight would be appreciated.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dripping with gold might make it a more interesting look given that I suspect the majority of these people will be in very conservative clothing.

Think Sammy Davis Jr.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blazer, tie, nice pants.
Shine your shoes.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I think you'd look out of place (in a bad way) if you wore a suit. Wear a nice dark blue blazer, some crisp khakis with no break and some nice brown shoes. Make sure you have a nice leather/briefcase/messenger bag too

cvac

Reaction score
I don't mean to be discouraging, but these "tour programs" for graduate/professional schools usually don't lead to acceptance if you are not otherwise a "shoe in". I wouldn't get worked up about the whole tour thing if I were you.

The blazer with khakis, a buttondown, brown dress shoes and no tie sounds good though.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Dripping with gold might make it a more interesting look given that I suspect the majority of these people will be in very conservative clothing.

I would do the dripping with gold as a way to say 'I can pay my own way and much, much more!'.

"Yale could use an international airport!"

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Wouldn't you want to be make a distinctive appearance at these things?

Distinctive appearance is one thing, being confused for someone who works there...

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A gun, Yale is actually a scary place in many parts. However, there are some nifty independent restaurants.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
I don't mean to be discouraging, but these "tour programs" for graduate/professional schools usually don't lead to acceptance if you are not otherwise a "shoe in". I wouldn't get worked up about the whole tour thing if I were you. The blazer with khakis, a buttondown, brown dress shoes and no tie sounds good though.
That is usually true but you never know who you will meet. When I went to a Hofstra Law open house a few years ago I introduced myself to the dean who gave me his card and told me to email him when I applied. I don't know if that's what got me in but it couldn't have hurt. The impression you make can be very important and don't hesitate to introduce yourself to people while selling yourself gently.

englanderjk

Reaction score
+1...solid advice

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
That is usually true but you never know who you will meet. When I went to a Hofstra Law open house a few years ago I introduced myself to the dean who gave me his card and told me to email him when I applied. I don't know if that's what got me in but it couldn't have hurt.

The impression you make can be very important and don't hesitate to introduce yourself to people while selling yourself gently.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
I would do the dripping with gold as a way to say 'I can pay my own way and much, much more!'.

"Yale could use an international airport!"

Originally Posted by Teger
Distinctive appearance is one thing, being confused for someone who works there...

I don't think a Sammy Davis Jr.-esque look is going to get you confused with someone who works at Yale.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
A gun, Yale is actually a scary place in many parts. However, there are some nifty independent restaurants.

Yale is not. New Haven certainly is.

Look, this is easy. Khaki chinos, nice brown shoes, plain shirt, navy blazer, repp tie. You'll fit right in, and put no one off.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Stop by J. Press and pick up some gratuitously skull-and-bones emblazoned clothing.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
Stop by J. Press and pick up some gratuitously skull-and-bones emblazoned clothing.
Dumbest thing you could possibly do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads