• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Pick an Outfit - Friend's Wedding

KentDog

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the following outfit for a friend's wedding? A little bit of background information... we are all recent college grads, there will be about 200 people at the wedding, and the wedding will be taking place in Iowa in the middle of November (so I expect it to be getting cold):
This is my first pick. The shirt has some texture to it and is French cuff. I've got a nice pair of brushed silver and black cufflinks I plan to wear with it. Should I wear the sweater vest tucked or un-tucked?:
dsc01816sh9.jpg

Or should I ditch the French-cuff? Here's an alternative shirt with vertical texture pattern, and two alternative ties:
dsc01818zw9.jpg

I'm on the fence about the tie. The three ties pictured above are my first picks. However, I have the following to choose from:
dsc01810smcc9.jpg

KentDog

Reaction score
I should also note that I am not part of the wedding party, but will just be attending as a guest.

Additionally, if a white shirt is too plain, would another colored shirt look better?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a suit you could wear or at least a sportcoat?

KentDog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Do you have a suit you could wear or at least a sportcoat?
Yes, I have a couple of suits I could wear, but I almost feel like that would be overdoing it for this event. We all recently graduated from college with one another and are relatively low key. If I go with a sportcoat, should I ditch the sweatervest?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KentDog
we are all recent college grads, there will be about 200 people at the wedding, and the wedding will be taking place in Iowa in the middle of November.
You left out the most important element: Day or evening?

Originally Posted by KentDog
Yes, I have a couple of suits I could wear, but I almost feel like that would be overdoing it for this event. We all recently graduated from college with one another and are relatively low key. If I go with a sportcoat, should I ditch the sweatervest?
Don't even think about underdressing just because you're all recent grads. Demonstrate that you have class NOW, not that you hope to acquire some after your college loans are paid off. Please also remember that just because you and your buddies feel that the wedding is "low key" does not mean that the bride sees it that way.

If it is an evening wedding, thou shalt wear a suit. End of story. And thou shalt wear thy suit conservatively enough not to overshadow the groom. If it is a daytime event, however, thou may substitute a sport coat, but again, thou shalt not overshadow the groom. Thus, it is written.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definately wear a suit, and if you get there and feel terribly overdressed you can always take the jacket off.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
If it is an evening wedding, thou shalt wear a suit. End of story. And thou shalt wear thy suit conservatively enough not to overshadow the groom. If it is a daytime event, however, thou may substitute a sport coat, but again, thou shalt not overshadow the groom. Thus, it is written.

+1

Can I get that inscribed on blue sapphire stone tablets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads