• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap, stylish shoes for a college student.

dopamine

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a relatively cheap black pair of stylish shoes for a college student. I wouldn't be above spending $300 on an incredible pair, but would love to keep it under $150. I have a specific look that I like, but unfortunately, it's been quite rare to find. For an example, please look at this picture: http://www.mensvogue.com/images/arts...sl01_kooks.jpg and reference the shoes that Hugh Harris, the one with the guitar, is wearing. In short, I'm looking for a pair of sensible dress shoes that look slim and refined, with a rounded toe (but not overly round). Definitely no square toes. Can anyone provide help? I've found a pair of Steve Maddens on eBay that match the look I'm going for at $51 shipped, but the leather looks dull and inexpensive, unfortunately. For reference, my shoe size should be about 8.5, I believe. I'm hoping that the experience of the members here can help me out. I'm new to styleforum, but have been on honestforum for a while, if anyone here frequents that site.

Thanks,
Kevin

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Steve Madden. Their sneaker designs are fine, but their leathers are less that satisfactory.

Get something that will last.

tradernick

Reaction score
I've recently had my eyes opened to the difference between brands like Steve Madden/Kenneth Cole/J & M etc. (many of which I have purchased in the past), and real quality. I can assure you that once you buy a decent pair, you will be unlikely to go back. If you have the discipline to take care of them, they will last way longer and you can have the pleasure of owning a quality shoe.

I assume you're not looking for an everyday wearer. I strongly urge you to spend some time each day just scanning the FS threads. You will see great deals going by, although you have to jump on them when you see them.

For $150 you can get a $300 - $400 pair of shoes on here if you're patient and diligent. I mean in either in almost new shape or new.

Also, please check this link

I bought a pair of Santonis from eBay and I am extremely happy with them, $250 - $300 shoes for $80 - $100 and you can hardly tell they've been worn.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mens-ALLEN-EDMOND...QQcmdZViewItem

Please note - I have absolutely nothing to do with this seller. She is the one I bought my Santonis from, that is all. She's a slow shipper, by the way, but she has nice shoes at great prices. These shoes are head and shoulders above the Steve Maddens. And at these prices, you can buy a pair for everyday use as well!

Search the rest of her shoes and other Santonis if you don't like these ones.

Good Luck

dopamine

Reaction score
Thanks for you replies thus far! I've been slowly building up a good warddrobe for a while - I've purchased some nice jeans, t-shirts, a john varvatos suit, some classic ties, and some dress shirts, but have yet to invest in a decent pair of dress shoes. I understand which brands are high quality - I'd love to buy a pair of John Lobbs, but can't afford them, obviously, so I'll have to make do. I'm an undergraduate student in the Wharton School of Business, so I figure an investment in a sensible pair of dress shoes would make sense.

On a slightly related note, I'm also looking for a good place to get reasonably priced ($50 or less) white dress shirts that are slim-fitting, and a tie that looks similar to this: http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse...sp?id=11458228. I'm a big fan of BoO skinny ties, but they're a bit out of my price range for ties.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a COS (H&M high-end) anywhere nearby?

Eagle

Reaction score
Just a thought but, for the amount you are looking to spend, have you considered Allen Edmonds as a possibility. They are great shoes, they offer a few streamlined models similar to the pair you referenced and, if you go through the factory store system and can find a pair of seconds in your size, they are nicely within your price range. The factory store will take telephone orders and will search their data base for the shoes you are interested in. The phone number for the AE Factory store in Port Washington, WI, is: 262-2847158.

Tcameron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eagle
Just a thought but, for the amount you are looking to spend, have you considered Allen Edmonds as a possibility. They are great shoes, they offer a few streamlined models similar to the pair you referenced and, if you go through the factory store system and can find a pair of seconds in your size, they are nicely within your price range. The factory store will take telephone orders and will search their data base for the shoes you are interested in. The phone number for the AE Factory store in Port Washington, WI, is: 262-2847158.

They also have a presence on ebay - I'd certainly check them out.

cvac

Reaction score
For the price of the LEs, you could probably get something a lot better from the AE factory store. Call them and ask what styles are on closeout in your size. They can ship anywhere. Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank at the Factory 201 East Seven Hills Road Port Washington, Wisconsin 53074 USA Phone: 262-284-7158 I also recently bought a pair of black "Sloane" captoes made by Cheaney in England for $180 shipped from Tuttle that are goodyear welted, full grain leather and every bit as well made as the four pairs of AEs I have. The shoes aren't on their website anymore, but you can call them to see if they have any left in your size. 800 854 3437 \t Here is a thread where I wrote about my impressions with the Cheaneys: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=78852 One more thing: good dress shoes aren't sized the same as sneakers and running shoes. I wear a 9 in Brooks and New Balance running shoes but take an 8.5 in AE and most other dress shoes.

dopamine

Reaction score
Thanks again for your replies. So far, the AE shoes that I've seen have been a bit on the bulky side, but perhaps I just haven't looked hard enough. I'll try looking some more. Also, I've never heard of COS, but we have two H&M's near here and King of Prussia Mall (I'm in Philadelphia). Thanks again, and I'll be sure to look at what you've suggested.

P.S. Is there a thread detailing different leathers and how to distinguish quality from low quality? I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology you've mentioned, eg. full-grain, welted.

Thanks,
Kevin

KentDog

Reaction score
Where do you plan on wearing these shoes? A night out on the town for dinner and drinks, house parties, bars? Or to work?

I would recommend Florsheim Comfortech Jesse Style in Black: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7422213/c/72.html. I own this pair and they are extremely comfortable and make great casual shoes for the average college student or recent college grad for around the $100 range.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
Thanks again for your replies. So far, the AE shoes that I've seen have been a bit on the bulky side, but perhaps I just haven't looked hard enough. I'll try looking some more. Also, I've never heard of COS, but we have two H&M's near here and King of Prussia Mall (I'm in Philadelphia). Thanks again, and I'll be sure to look at what you've suggested. P.S. Is there a thread detailing different leathers and how to distinguish quality from low quality? I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology you've mentioned, eg. full-grain, welted. Thanks, Kevin
Full grain leather is leather that does not have a corrected grain finish. Here's a thread with a good explanation: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...orrected+grain Welted means the sole is stitched on, rather than glued on. Do a search and you should find plenty of info. I'd advise against the Florsheims above. They are made of corrected grain leather with glued-on rubber soles. Also, they're ugly.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys, no offense, but no one has really linked him to sleek shoes, which is clearly what he wants. I don't know how obsessed with quality you are, but I went to Zara this weekend and they have some sleek shapes for a low price. Can't guarantee their quality or comfort as I do not own any. I would probably bet that they would not be that comfy, but you should try them on for yourself.

dmband8985

Reaction score
try Aldo....very euro in style...slim and smart looking. nothing is too expensive, plus they almost always have some sale or another...i got a pair of dark brown boots, similar to the other guy sitting down in that picture, for like $50.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmband8985
try Aldo....very euro in style...slim and smart looking. nothing is too expensive, plus they almost always have some sale or another...i got a pair of dark brown boots, similar to the other guy sitting down in that picture, for like $50.

I have to vote against Aldo (personally, please take no offense). Aldo shoes are generally the least comfortable I have ever worn, and their designs are generally overly stylized and lame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics