• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doc Marten Boots In Style Anymore?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea man, last winter in Europe I walked 2-5+ miles like every single day for 2 weeks, primarily in my Docs and never had my feet hurt once. for comfort they really are unsurpassed, once broken in (boots mainly)

compared to Redwing GTs (similar style)...I find Docs to be far more comfortable. redwings are comfortable too, but they are a much heavier boot and Docs are actually surprisingly lightweight which make them better for walking long distances/time in

pitboss12

Reaction score
I've got a love/hate relationship with my Docs. I have a pair of old MIE Docs from when I was in highschool. I've almost donated them away 3 times but I've always pulled them out of the bag. They've been sitting in the closet for almost 10 years. I wore them for a few weeks last winter and then put them away. I want to get rid of them because Redwings are pretty much the boots I wear now but I can't bring myself to do it.

On Friday I saw a pair of MIE 3 hole Docs for $10.99 at a thrift. I almost picked them up but then I remembered my issues with my boots.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I really like how the RafxDoc for next spring 2009 are looking. They're the black ones w/red contrast stitching around the sole (instead of yellow)

the last also seems a bit sleeker which helps the appearance tremendously. they're not as bulbous

**edit, actually the last is the same, just the photo angle I saw made them look sleeker. so still bulbous like the regular Doc gibsons

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish they'd bring back the dark green suede 3-hole shoes and the loafer doc's.

I remember the first day I wore my doc shoes to school back in '85 - everyone looked at me with pity and asked what was wrong with my feet that I needed special orthopedic shoes!
musicboohoo[1].gif

Still, back then in Australia, we didn't have much of a selection - always a good test of just how 'English' a skinhead really was ..... did he have a rellie in the UK who would mail docs down to Oz.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I wish they'd bring back the dark green suede 3-hole shoes and the loafer doc's.

there are some new tassel loafers on their way this season. and i think they're going to be offered in suede as well as reg. leather.

and docs are always in style.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiral
What do people think about the new 'Made in Monochrome' docs up at oki-ni? I'm seriously considering the black ones.
http://www.oki-ni.com/invt/drm0001blk

I have absolutely zero problems with these. They look outstanding. I used to have pair of the 3 eyelet ones with yellow stitching, and have fond memories of them. The insoles were a different, pleasant experience. I worked as a bartender and even with the 8-hour shifts on my feet, they never felt uncomfortable. The stitching quickly got dirty though, and I could never bring it back up to a noticeable yellow.

The red stitching on the Raf x Dr. M look good, I have to say.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
there are some new tassel loafers on their way this season. and i think they're going to be offered in suede as well as reg. leather. and docs are always in style.
cool, my wife wore the oxblood tassel loafer Docs for a few years til just recently cuz the tassles broke off (hopefully the new ones arent so flimsy). They're modeled after the Loake "Brighton" loafer, just with the DM sole I'm wearing the light grey wingtip Docs today and whenever I decide to wear em, it reminds me how fuckin comfortable they are

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
I've got a love/hate relationship with my Docs. I have a pair of old MIE Docs from when I was in highschool.

I'm the same way. I think over the past 10 years I've bought/sold/rebought/sold/rebought Docs/Grinders/Gripfast so many times I've def wasted some decent coin when all said/done.

I just bought new pair of the cherry red 3 eyelet MIE shoe cuz for some reason my current oxblood 3 eyelets from the 90s seem to fit smaller in length (the shoe hasnt shrunk but has my foot grown???). either that or i need to clip my toenail so it doesnt jab into the front of the shoe everytime I walk
blush.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have the monochrome black shoes and boots, a pair of 14 hole oxblood boots from 1992, steel-toed 10 hole black boots from 1990 all in heavy rotation still.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I just bought new pair of the cherry red 3 eyelet MIE shoe cuz for some reason my current oxblood 3 eyelets from the 90s seem to fit smaller in length (the shoe hasnt shrunk but has my foot grown???). either that or i need to clip my toenail so it doesnt jab into the front of the shoe everytime I walk
blush.gif

Your arch might have fallen a tad. Causing the foot to lengthen just a bit. One of the effects of aging.
frown.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ang_kangkong
Your arch might have fallen a tad. Causing the foot to lengthen just a bit. One of the effects of aging.
frown.gif

that would make sense. god knows there's been plenty of aging since...

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
cool, my wife wore the oxblood tassel loafer Docs for a few years til just recently cuz the tassles broke off (hopefully the new ones arent so flimsy). They're modeled after the Loake "Brighton" loafer, just with the DM sole

I'm wearing the light grey wingtip Docs today and whenever I decide to wear em, it reminds me how fuckin comfortable they are

Oddly enough, I'm wearing the grey long wings too. For some reason they seem even more comfortable than any of the other MIC docs i own. they do seem to have a different insole but i have another pair of red ones and they don't seem as nice.

my cherry MIEs are still the faves though. and I'll be in on the tassels as soon as I find 'em.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
and I'll be in on the tassels as soon as I find 'em.

if/when you find them post it on here....i know my lady would love another pair

kookydooky

Reaction score
Do the made in china ones still say 'Made in England' refering to the brand being from england or will it actually say made in china somewhere on them because I have no Idea which are the ones I got.

I got my ebay ones and GS is right they do feel a bit smaller, im normallly a sz6uk and my toe just touches the tip with the DMs I got and im not sure if they would end up hurting if I wear them for the whole day.

Its odd though because I tried them on at the shops for size and they felt quite perfect, then again I didnt walk around properly in them and bending the toes because I wasnt actually buying them (I didnt want to crease the shoes), Maybe they feel smaller cos the ones I got were already worn in lol but they do feel quite fine when stationary. I also bought them off a girl and I dont know if they have seperate girl/guy sizing for them or if they go nder the same mens UK size since they are unisex

How tall are you bbacquiran?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads