• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newb looking for some nice black oxfords

zacha

Reaction score
So I've been having a sartorial awakening lately, and realized I need some basic black oxfords. For this purchase at least, I am drawn to traditional styling (cap toe, no broguing), and am hoping to spend less than $375, ideally less than $300. I found this thread very helpful; I share that poster's misgivings about the Park Avenue, and was very excited about the Loake Stowe (image), but it seems to only come in narrow sizes, and my feet are average to wide. What shoes would you recommend? (Preferably findable in Boston, though a trip to NYC next weekend isn't totally out of the question.)

zacha

Reaction score
PS: Forgot to share what today's shopping turned up: Not much, except the Cole Haan Liverpool, which is usually 450 but on sale for 360 today and tomorrow. I quite like it, except there's this little tab at the bottom of the lacing, basically a 1/8" semicircle above the throat, like this. (Anyone know what that's called, or what it's for?) I might have bought them on the spot, but the tab made them feel strangely more casual to me. Also, it felt a little tight, though perhaps I was trying to lace it too hard. Is it OK if the tongue of an oxford is visible, or should it tightened until "fully closed"? They said they could stretch them for me, but I am skeptical that's good for the shoe...

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider Grenson if you can find it in your price range. They have wider sizes available in their Masterpiece last, which can be had from Paul Stuart in NY. However, the shoe retails for some $600, and is hard to find on sale.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I couldn't fit into the PA's beacuse they're on a narrow last, but AE does have wider lasts. I just bought a Soho in D that fits fine. Check out their last guide ( http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001), then you can search by last type on the website. Hope that helps.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Depending on how wide your feet are, you may find yourself out of luck with oxfords (English usage). You may have to go to a blutcher cut (derby in English usage).

Personally, I wear AE in 13 3E width and only buy blutcher cuts. AE's are readily available on sale and ebay (from the manufacturer) for reasonable prices.

cvac

Reaction score
Did you try the Park Ave in a wider width? I'd suggest doing that, but if it doesn't work you'll have to look at something else.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=78852

Here is the thread I wrote up about the Cheaney Sloanes. They are only available in one width or "fitting" to my knowledge. Tuttle took them off the website so you'll have to call to see if they have any left.

Alden has a basic captoe available, you may want to look into those, though they may be slightly above your price range.

francoamerican

Reaction score
If you don't mind very stodgy looks, in return for very solid construction and the ability for factory resoles at a reasonable (~$100 I think) price, these can't be beat (if you aren't able to find a good sale):

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...t=100&rpro=907

They come in widths as well, and they're not park avenues so they're a bit different than what everybody else has - including no 360 welt - I don't care for the 360 welt.

JP

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Park Avenue. It's like the dictionary damn definition of an American oxford. Ignore the haters -- it's a great shoe AND you can find one on sale at your local mall.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sizes will be all over the map, so don't go on-line unless you know EXACTLY what you want.

In NYC, there is an Alden shop just a block from the 346 Brooks Brothers. They're pretty good about finding lasts and/or widths that work.

Haven't tried them, but there are a few Charles Tyrwhitt shops that have acceptably-styled shoes. They might come in different widths. No idea about quality-- there has been a rumor that they source from Loake.

francoamerican

Reaction score
Yes ordering from overseas without knowning exactly what you want will definately be risky (what size on what last etc)

Ordering from a US based online retailer isn't really a big deal because you can just send back what doesn't fit.

zacha

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies. Today's canvass of the rest of Boston was not terribly encouraging – I didn't like the AE shoes (the shape of the toe seemed off), which left the Brooks Bros./Peal ($488) and Johnston & Murphy ($375) as the top candidates in Boston retail shops. I'm thinking of upping my budget to $300-500, and I'd like to try on the Grensom, Loake, and Alden shoes. Buying online seems risky, unless perhaps there is a site with a generous return policy...? Online aside, does anyone have ideas where to find them in US stores? Grensom: I hear they're at Paul Stuart in NY. But I don't see them on his website. How likely do you think they are to have them in stock? (The specific models in this case would be the Salisbury and Dundee, and perhaps the Kent. The Dundee appears to be their wider oxford, but I might also be able to fit into the Salisbury. (My feet are only slightly wide.) Loake: Models I'm interested in are the Aldwych, Wells, and Elland. PS: The Bostonian in me is slightly depressed at having to go to NY for shoes
smile.gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacha
So I've been having a sartorial awakening lately, and realized I need some basic black oxfords. For this purchase at least, I am drawn to traditional styling (cap toe, no broguing), and am hoping to spend less than $375, ideally less than $300. I found this thread very helpful; I share that poster's misgivings about the Park Avenue, and was very excited about the Loake Stowe (image), but it seems to only come in narrow sizes, and my feet are average to wide. What shoes would you recommend? (Preferably findable in Boston, though a trip to NYC next weekend isn't totally out of the question.)
I say! I fancy this!

francoamerican

Reaction score
If you're uping the budget you're firmly in plal.com territory for crockett and jones handgrades. Research plal on here and I think you'll get confident in them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads