• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Three pairs of slightly worn Allen Edmonds wingtips, pre-triple wing, one in black, one in oxblood, one in brown. Not quite thrift store prices, but for ebay, $80 shipped is a deal. Is this even the place for ebay bragging? I figure if I don't want to wear all of them, I can sell each one for profit.

I so those 3 pairs, but wasn't sure of the last they were on. Looked to be in real good shape. You got a steal if you ask me.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by walneal
first thrift find:

abd6f391.jpg

33466cd2.jpg

$ 20

freaking amazing!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Staples in a woven can still not be the end of the world. Straighten the staples then pull them out gently and carefully. Then knead the silk with your fingers. As infuriating as that is, staples are still better than the plastic thingies.

Alan - Yup, over time I've developed this strategy to remove staples, as so many thrifts do this around here. I removed them with no harm done at all
smile.gif

Walneal - holy ****! What a find! Beginner's luck...
tounge.gif

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After going to four thrifts Friday morning, I ended up with nothing but a copy of David Banner's "Cadillac on 22s" on 12". Which is a great record, but didn't make me feel better about striking out on the clothes front.

So today, I'm posting stuff on B&S that I couldn't leave behind in previous trips but that didn't fit me. Hopefully something good will come of it.

Dale_J

Reaction score
I got this camel hair topcoat and a cashmere 3/4 topcoat no pics...(both Alexandre England) with some staining on the liner, the camel hair coat is undamaged but they were throwing them away so I got them for free. Also picked up this camel hair jacket (Baskin) for $3.00 today.
Snapshot_20081004_7.jpg
Snapshot_20081004_8.jpg
Snapshot_20081004_4.jpg
Snapshot_20081004_6.jpg

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dale_J

Reaction score
Thank's for the article Meister. And thank's to all the people kind enough to donate their clothing and other item's they no longer need. Due to the economy, my ex-wife and a former 26y.o. girlfriend I've been in financial ruin. So I truly can appreciate the beautiful suit, tie ect. that I find thrifting. I may not make much money anymore but I sure dress well!
bigstar[1].gif

Dale_J

Reaction score
The cashmere topcoat is in great condition but the liner is stained on the bottem. Can't figure what it is, kinda rust colored but the fabric is undamaged. may be worth having the liner replaced if my dry cleaner can't do anything with it. I've yet to get pricing and there's only one tailor and some seamstress listed in the yellow pages here, very small town...

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
It was the funniest thing -- as I was going through the rack of suits at Goodwill this evening, I overheard a father helping his teenage son pick out a sportcoat (most likely his first). At one point the Dad held up a sad, shapeless blue blazer for his son to see, and exclaimed with hubris, "Cricketeer! That's a good brand! This probably cost a hundred dollars!!" I stifled a laugh (at least I hope I stifled it!) A few seconds later I spot the d'Avenza suit - not more than a foot away from where Dad and son are fawning over the ancient Cricketeer! I wanted to say, "Actually, guys, that Cricketeer was probably made well before your son was even born. Now this, sir, is a good brand..." as I thrust the d'Avenza up in the air as if it were a championship trophy or an Olympic gold medal. But I didn't, of course! They wouldn't have gotten it, anyway... (like the Washington Post commercial - if you don't get it, you don't get it!) so I quickly slipped the d'Avenza off the hanger and walked with purpose directly to the cash register with a satisfied smirk across my face. Cricketeer, indeed! Muaaaahhahahahahaaha!!!
Apparently the name of the store means nothing to you. Maybe you should try Dick's Sporting Goods.​

Dale_J

Reaction score
ArgusPics014-1.jpg
AE size 81/2 c I'm a 10 though...excellent condition $3.00 couldn't pass them up.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
Apparently the name of the store means nothing to you. Maybe you should try Dick's Sporting Goods.​

You'll lost a lot of money betting on affluent SF members not being dicks in a thrift store.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
What does the name Goodwill have to do with ignorant people?

Seems like you have some ill will towards people who don't share your hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads