• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fish Oil, how much??

brazboy

Reaction score
How much fish oil should I take daily? I'm taking GNC Fish Oil 1000mg, 2 capsules a day. That gives me 360mg of EPA and 240mg of DHA daily. I've read in this forum that many people take up to 4000mg, 5000mg of fish oil a day, but that sounded an awful lot to me.

So, how much do you guys take? What's the "RDA" (since there's no official one)?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't really even need to take it daily (it's stored in fat cells). Just get enough.

14 caps a day is a lot. That's over 130 calories of fish oil...Just eat the dang fish.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take 1000mg with every meal. Don't get the GNC stuff, there are only two readily available brands that are pure enough to not contains mercury or PCBs. Carlson's and Costco. Carlson's is more expensive and better imo but the Costco stuff is also legit.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You don't really even need to take it daily (it's stored in fat cells). Just get enough.

14 caps a day is a lot. That's over 130 calories of fish oil...Just eat the dang fish.

+1. Especially the last part.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
we do eat fish regularly but like anything in life, sometimes we eat or dont eat due to convenience, schedule/time to shop groceries, money. i take the fish oil at work because it is there readily available for us. me taking the fish oil does not automatically imply that im not eating fish.
I'm not saying you're not eating fish. I'm just wondering why you're taking so much fish oil. I thought my salmon was a little dry last night...
smile.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ But you realize that 13 caps a day or 130 calories (at least) mean an extra 13lbs a year you probably don't need, right?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
ok no problem

yes i take relatively too much fish oil compared to others, but that was on the advice of one of the PhDs who work with the product here. not that their advice is the end all advice, but she is a very sensible person and i trust her advice.

130 cal/day extra...

well, whats another cup of water into the ocean.

im already eating tons of ice cream as it is already.

Rand B

Reaction score
Brazboy,

Ideal general therapeutic dose: 2-5 grams/day. Nordic Naturals brand produces the highest quality products.

However, I would suggest obtaining your supplemental Omega-3 ***** acids from "Neptune" type Krill oil. The naturally occurring antioxidant content (Astaxanthin, Vitamin E, etc.) will marsupial rancidity, to which fish oil is particularly susceptible. (Fish oil consumption is known to drain Tocopherol stores in attempt to preserve the inherently unstable long-chain PUFA's.)

Additionally, the EPA/DHA contained is phospholipid (vs. triglyceride in fish) bound, resembling the structure of Omega-3's provided by animal brain tissue during our evolutionary past.

2 g/d would confer benefits similar--if not superior to--5 or more grams of fish oil, without the downsides.

R.B.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1, just eat the damn fish. For most people 2 times salmon a week is enough.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I wouldn't go more than 1500 mg. Make sure you're getting the right ratio of DHA to EPA, usually 2:3 is good for americans because you get so much DHA through the other foods you eat, and not enough EPA.

edit: changed 1000 mg to 1500 mg. There's evidence that shows benefits up to 1.3 g but not much of a difference after that.

brazboy

Reaction score
2:3 is the usual ratio. Like I said, 120mg to 180mg (most 1000mg Fish Oils have that amount).

I think I'll stick to the 2000mg daily. I eat fish every other day anyway, so that's probably fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads