• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
ah so 5ep probably isn't what i'm looking for since i'm mainly looking for some jeans for casual wear as opposed to a project...what about japanese denim? would that be something more along the lines of what i'm looking for or do those take alot of time to take care of and break in as well?
So I take it you're looking for something quick and easy? APC seems to be a fan favorite for quick fades but I'm not a fan of the denim itself. The new RRL is very nice and from the photos I've seen fades very well and "more easily" than it used to. You could also go the LVC route or better, deadstock selvage from Crate. Been wearing a pair for a month now and it's coming along nicely.

Originally Posted by onion
5ep is Japanese denim, the company just happens to be based in the US. If you want quick fading denim you should probably avoid pretty much all Japanese denim.
Can't say I agree with this because PG's right. I think it's a common misconception that Japanese brands must be fought tooth and nail on a daily basis. With a few exceptions (5EP and Sugarcane come to mind) I'd say the reverse is true. For starters, the Japanese brands we know usually contain far more starch than the average Nudie or hell, ANY Nudie that I've come across. Nudie also tends to soften up a lot more after the initial break in than any other jeans I've dealt with (r&b stays pretty soft throughout). Couple that with personal experience and evolution photos off here and sufu and I really don't think Nudies are as quick to fade as they're marketed or hyped to be. They're simply more of a no-nonsense no-frills jean that fits great from the get-go and ends up looking like what you wanted when you branched out to raw denim to begin with.

Back to the OP, as long as you stay away from brands that are notorious for keeping their indigo you should be fine. Or you could just ignore that and enjoy the ride.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
anybody can give an opinion about Ande Whall denim?
what's the cuts like, denim, pricing and where do you get a pair? thanks.

This has got to be a joke. The first person to answer any of the questions will find their balls stuffed down their esophagus courtesy of yours truly.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys...thinkin of jumping on some new Avg Joe's or maybe the LVC 501xx's on sale in the B&S section.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Quick Q. Storing my raws at night:
200810030013mk4.jpg
Good way? (Sorry, bad lighting on the photo, but you get the idea.)

heyheyhey

Reaction score
I had an idea that I could fold them at the honeycombs, and then at the whiskers, if you get what I mean, but I was thinking that might reset the creases.

agent86a

Reaction score
Ok, total newbie here--but I have read a bit before posting. Looking to buy a pair of raw denim. I know most people buy raw for the fades, but I actually really like the look of dark indigo denim. I would like something that will hold color a while and fade slowly. I'd also like to stay under $150 or so if possible.

I tried on Naked & Famous and almost bought a pair of weird guy dark indigo, but the 34" waist fit perfectly, and I wanted to size down to 33" in case it stretched a bit. The store didn't have the jean in that size.

I was all set to buy APC NS in 32" or 33" but then read that it fades really fast. Is this true even with minimal washing? I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

DocHunter

Reaction score
I want to soak my jeans tomorrow for the first time. What detergent should I throw into the tub with them?

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agent86a
Ok, total newbie here--but I have read a bit before posting. Looking to buy a pair of raw denim. I know most people buy raw for the fades, but I actually really like the look of dark indigo denim. I would like something that will hold color a while and fade slowly. I'd also like to stay under $150 or so if possible.

I tried on Naked & Famous and almost bought a pair of weird guy dark indigo, but the 34" waist fit perfectly, and I wanted to size down to 33" in case it stretched a bit. The store didn't have the jean in that size.

I was all set to buy APC NS in 32" or 33" but then read that it fades really fast. Is this true even with minimal washing? I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Try looking for resin coated stuff. It's supposed to make fading slowwwwwww.
APCs fade relatively fast.

Originally Posted by DocHunter
I want to soak my jeans tomorrow for the first time. What detergent should I throw into the tub with them?

None? If you're just soaking them, you don't need detergent, do you? Practically speaking, how would you get it out afterwards?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads