• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial things to do in Austin, TX

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by swiego
Thanks everyone for the great advice as well as the vegetarian tips. (I am one.)

Since you are vegetarian I'll second the advice of Mother's and Mr. Natural. A number of different Asian places I think are supposed to be known for their vegetarian dishes also. I can't think of any off the top of my head though. Maybe Kent will weigh in on that.

mike

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
Since you are vegetarian I'll second the advice of Mother's and Mr. Natural. A number of different Asian places I think are supposed to be known for their vegetarian dishes also. I can't think of any off the top of my head though. Maybe Kent will weigh in on that.

Asian vegetarian? Christ, how could I forget Veggie Heaven on Guadalupe? Gotta try the Protein 2000. Great dish.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
For window shopping, stop in at Capra & Cavelli http://www.capracavelli.com/golf/proto/capracavelli/ & the Texas Clothier http://www.texasclothier.com/

I have found the people at both stores friendly and always ready to talk about men's style. Now do I agree with them.......that's another story
smile.gif

Go find some live music and bar-b-que......maybe look to get some boots made. Austin is a great place!

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a Barney's outlet in San Marcos as well, I think. Decent selection - probably worth the drive down there to check it out.

garmis

Reaction score
http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2009/...as/#more-13042 Went into STAG yesterday and I have to say I was quite impressed. Great collection of new/vintage workwear with tons of RRL. Too much of some label "Life After Denim", however, the quality of which did not seem up to snuff with much of the rest of the store's stock.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things to do sartorially in Austin? Shop for westernwear. I never heard it called a "Canadian tuxedo" before I found SF, but it could have just as well been called the ATX tuxedo. In other words, this is a denim and boots sort of town. Traditionally, if you saw a well dressed gent in Austin, it only meant he travelled a bit.

And, if you're going to talk about BBQ, (not quite sure why, when the question was about clothes) you have to talk about Kreutz's in Lockhart (THE place that put Lockhart on the bar-b-cue map) and Louie Muller's in Taylor. Also, Sam's on E. 12th, and a few other places. Don't even mention Rudy's or creamed corn if the topic is barbecue. It just makes you look ignorant.
facepalm.gif
Seriously.

thebunk

Reaction score
Hey folks. Heading to Austin and SanAntonio in two weeks. I am flying into Austin and staying at the Hilton Downtown on 4th street and driving to San Antonio the next day. Looking for places to shop for Mens wear, specifically looking for a selection of Aldens but open to both casual and formal shops. Also looking for BBQ and tex Mex suggestions in either city as well (or on the way to San Antonio). Cheers!

Woodman

Reaction score
What you've heard about BBQ is absolutely right!
Take the brief jaunt off I35 to Lockhart for either Smitty's or Kreuz.
It's an amazing experience!
For clothes, check out the Last Call in Austin at Brodie Oaks, or the (far smaller) Last Call at the San Marcos outlet mall.
A far better bet--my friends at the Loro Piana outlet at the San Marcos outlet mall, right by Last Call.
Some great clothes and wonderful folks.
The Tex-mex list long, but check out the Texas Monthly website for a start.

thebunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Any other clothing shop options?

Guero

Reaction score
If you're looking for menswear, Capra & Cavelli on 35th between Lamar and Mopac is your best bet, and even stocks boots from Ron Rider. There's another shop called Keepers, which I think has a small location in the Hilton, but is not as good as C&C. A smaller place off Lamar near campus does a fair amount of MTM programs, including Hamilton shirts. I highly recommend them. I don't recall the name of the shope off-hand. On the more casual side, definitely check out Stag on South Congress. It's as nice a streetwear/denim/casual men's store as I've seen in a long time, and I travel pretty frequently all over the country. Check out local bootmaker Helm, sold at Stag, for some interesting artisan-made boots. As others have said, the San Marcos outlet has NM, Saks, Zegna, Loro Piana, Ferragamo (including Tramezzas from time-to-time), etc., etc., but the quality is middling at best.

Smitty's in Lockhart is great for BBQ, but if you drive 15 minutes farther on 183 S. to Luling, the BBQ at Luling City Market trumps everything in Lockhart. Eschew the Tex-Mex in Austin (except for Guero's [naturally] or any place on South 1st Street) and go to Curra's on Oltorf for Mex-Mex. Best Tex-Mex in San Antonio? Mi Tierra or Rosario's.

Enjoy your trip. You're about to discover a real gem in fly-over country.

dks202

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk
Hey folks. Heading to Austin and SanAntonio in two weeks. I am flying into Austin and staying at the Hilton Downtown on 4th street and driving to San Antonio the next day. Looking for places to shop for Mens wear, specifically looking for a selection of Aldens but open to both casual and formal shops. Also looking for BBQ and tex Mex suggestions in either city as well (or on the way to San Antonio). Cheers!

The only place in San Antonio that sells Alden is Satel's Men's store on Broadway. The usual suspects are here too; Nordstrom, Neiman, Brooks Bros, etc. all at La Cantera Mall.

Try Augie's BBQ near the zoo, http://www.augiesbs.com/

also Taco Taco on Hildebrand Ave, the best tacos in America says Bon Apetit Magazine. It's a tiny place but it's worth the wait.

Los Agaves on Blanco is pretty good too.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Prett slim pickings. There's a fancy new outdoor mall called the Domain with a Neiman, Ralph Lauren, Coop, etc.. Nothing too great - the Neiman has a fairly limited men's selection. As far as locally owned stores carrying good tailored clothes, very little. There are some very large outlet malls, one in San Marcos, one north in Round Rock - hit or miss. There's a Last Call in town, as well. The two best streetwear stores closed recently, so there is a dearth of options right now. One neat, unique sartorial thing to do in Austin, get handmade, bespoke boots, but it's prohibitively expensive.

Austin is still a flip flops and jeans town. Eat some Mexican food and BBQ, drink some beer, and forget about clothes for a few days. The weather is great right now.

Yea i was there a couple weeks ago. Craving some Magnolia Cafe, Kirbey Lane, Home Slice etc right now.... Will be there for the lonestar roundup this year hopefully.

bantone

Reaction score
Sartorial wise I've been dealing with Ross Bennett in regards to suiting. A lot of Gladson, Loro Piana, and Huddersfield fabrics by him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads