• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean Cardi quality?

izlat

Reaction score
I'm thinking this looks good for general office wear (and is very cost-effective) - any experience with LL Bean's quality? I've never owned anything from the brand, and really don't want something that would pill easily, lose its shape, or won't survive a wash

thanks

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean is about the only general menswear catalog I ever order from albeit not often. Their quality, for this pricepoint has been excellent.

I have a red, heavy cotton/sweatshirt material zip up that I have had since 1994 and it's just now showing some wear on the cuffs. I also have one of the barn coats... it's maybe 18 years old... and other than faded it's indistructible... I was bigger then so it's too big but perfect in cold late autumn weather or winter when clearing brush, bonfires, etc.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Pretty much everything L.L. Bean makes is excellent. It will survive multiple washes without any problems. Also, all their products are guaranteed, so if the sweater starts to pill badly 3 years from now, they will take it back and refund/exchange it.

Keep in mind L.L. Bean fits are on the baggy side, so you may want to consider sizing down 1 if slim fit is your thing.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Pretty much everything L.L. Bean makes is excellent. It will survive multiple washes without any problems. Also, all their products are guaranteed, so if the sweater starts to pill badly 3 years from now, they will take it back and refund/exchange it.

Keep in mind L.L. Bean fits are on the baggy side, so you may want to consider sizing down 1 if slim fit is your thing.

True- and not particularly long.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bean's sweaters are among its better offerings, I think. The trou are often a little rough around the edges, construction-wise. And stuff is cut pretty full in general. But the sweaters tend to have a nice heft to them, and are usually pretty solid. I bought one just last weekend.

As mentioned, the return policy can't be beat.

izlat

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses!

I guess now I am starting to wonder if the $150 cashmere cardigan (otherwise pretty similar to the original link for the merino) is a good buy - if quality is so good, and considering the return policy, etc. I'm pretty sure it's not top cashmere but with this return policy I am feeling lucky...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads