• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tell me if this would be overtraining

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Really? You got evidence on that? If so, why don't you produce it?

I bet Governator will get sacked if it was known he was repeatedly taking illegal substances to win sporting events. Look at Slick Willy and his marijuana and Lewinsky gate scandal. How can a man like that a state with an economy that can rival other nations.

What exactly did you do for one hour? Unless you are really training balls to the walls, I don't see how you can claim to be totally drained.

A good chest workout would involve doing heavy flat bench or flat dumb presses. They should be so heavy that your male boobies would be so engorged with blood that Pam Anderson would be envious. You would then follow up with flys and incline bench. You are talking about 5 good sets of exercise.

There should be plenty of supersets, drop sets, pre- exhaust and rest pause techniques. If you just do standard 6 reps of 3 sets, then my friend, you cannot claim to be totally exhausted.

After a good chest workout, your triceps would be blasted and you can only do biceps.

So tell me: Have you been doing that? If not, can you say you feel totally drained? You guys should really workout. Then you would know what is real exhaustion and you will have new found respect for Jay.

You're an idiot:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in676684.shtml

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
As a Crossfitter since 2003, I am well aware of the pros and cons of the program. Greg Glassman (founder of CF) has a bad back from his days as a gymnast. He doesn't do Crossfit. Bill Belichek is out of shape too, yet has been the best coach in the NFL since 2000. I wouldn't hold Greg Glassman's physical shape against CF.

Pros:
As a 44 year old, I appreciate the brief, intense workouts. With 3 kids, I don't have time to spend 1-2 hours each day working out. CF keeps me in good all-around shape with a minimal investment

The athletic workouts (o-lifts, sprints, rowing) keep me fairly flexible without a separate stretching program.

The shorter workouts seem to have excellent carryover to longer cardio events. I haven't run over 4 miles in 20 years, yet finished in the top third of a 15K race this summer using only CF for conditioning.

Considering how infrequently the heavy lifts come up in the WOD, the poundages lifted are pretty good. I do heavy DL maybe 10 times a year, yet I can DL 2X my BW at any time. 2X bodyweight DL is no great feat (yet I see very few guys who can do it), but those who DL more than that are working at it a lot more and usually can't run worth a crap.

Looking like you're in shape often has little to do with actually being in shape. Dan John says that the most important muscles are those you need a mirror to see (back, butt, hips). Most people spend 90% of their time pumping up their pecs and biceps. I see way too many peacocks strutting around the gym who look very imposing yet can't squat or DL nearly what I can.

Cons
The cult mentality. Jesus, it drives me nuts! The (CF) forum squashes any serious questions about the effectiveness of CF.

I don't find that it necessarily builds "bodybuilding" type muscle. Now, to be honest, I have never been able to put on much mass in my chest or arms. I'm not blessed in those areas which is what 99% of most guys want. CF rarely does heavy bench presses and never curls. They do a decent amount of dips (usually ring dips) and does an incredible amount of pull-ups, but my chest or biceps haven't seen much difference. Of course, my chest and biceps didn't see much difference when I did regular type workouts either. Since most guys want to look like bodybuilders, I would say that CF is not the best way to get there.

CF is a yuppie sport. Look at the pictures of the CF certifications. They look like a Republican convention. 99% white and many over the age of 35. These are people who don't think twice of paying $1000 to go to a CF certification for 2 days or paying $150 a month to workout at a CF affiliate. EDIT: what I mean by this is that I think one of the weaknesses of CF is that it's such a homogeneous group and doesn't look for/easily accept other ways of doing things. It's talk radio mentality: you hang out with a group of people who believe exactly what you believe, so you find it hard to believe that there is a whole world out there with different beliefs.

Nice. I'm still working my way up to 2x on deads.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
thanks for ruining my thread guys
musicboohoo[1].gif

Sorry, kid.

Here's some video to keep you warm.

Hannah Johnson box squatting 225, squatting 400 in a comp and taking off her squat suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

P.S. beasty, you can leave the room until the presentation is over.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
That last vid is hot.

I love it when she hits him then apologizes.

Click through to youtube - she has a few vids up.

lefty

jc138

Reaction score
If I am an idiot. You ara a colossal one.
Arnie said it was not illegal. READ!

Dear idiot:

The claim was not that he took illegal substances, but that he took steroids, which enabled him to train harder.

You raised "illegal substances" as a strawman. Whether they were illegal or not has no relevance to this discussion of over training.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc138
Dear idiot:

The claim was not that he took illegal substances, but that he took steroids, which enabled him to train harder.

You raised "illegal substances" as a strawman. Whether they were illegal or not has no relevance to this discussion of over training.

Dear colossal idiot:

The point is steroids was used as MAINTENANCE!
Do you comprehend? MAINTENANCE! Doofus.

If you are so stupid as to believe taking steroids played a significant factor in his accomplishments as a multiple Mr Olympia, please use the same hand that wipes your ass (sans TP) to feed your mouth. Quite appropos seeing the **** that comes from your mouth.

Best regards

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. And Snoop smokes weed just for his "glaucoma" and it has had no influence on his music.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Dear colossal idiot:

The point is steroids was used as MAINTENANCE!
Do you comprehend? MAINTENANCE! Doofus.

If you are so stupid as to believe taking steroids played a significant factor in his accomplishments as a multiple Mr Olympia, please use the same hand that wipes your ass (sans TP) to feed your mouth. Quite appropos seeing the **** that comes from your mouth.

Best regards

LOL idiot.
frown.gif

emperor3d

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
i don't know how you can even compare a thing of beauty and perfection...

Michelangelos_David.jpg

to a hairless gorilla...

JayCutler6.jpg

You just won the debate. Congratulations.
*awards you infinite points*

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry to derail this thread, but i'm trying a new program:

Workout A

Front Squat 4 x 9
Romanian deadlift 4 x 9
Bulgarian squat 3 x 12
Close stance leg press 3 x 15
A1 Abs 4 x 15
A2 Calves 4 x 6-15

Workout B

Chin-ups 4 x 9
Close-grip barbell bench 4 x 8
A1 DB Bench press 3 x 10
A2 Seated row, V-handle or bar 4 x 9
Cable lateral raise 3 x 12
Military press barbell/dumbbell 4 x 9
Dumbbell curls 3x10

A1/A2 indicates a paired exercise.

schedule:
monday tuesday wednesday thursday friday saturday sunday
----A--------B----------Rest--------A-------Rest-----B-------Rest--

does this look better? overtraining?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That's a pretty loaded leg workout, are you doing relatively heavy or light weight? After the first couple, are you really able to put good effort into the last 2? Also, have you tried single leg presses? (one leg on the leg press isntead of two, put the heel high and go deep (<90 degrees) Great for the hamstrings and glutes, but very intense.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
That's a pretty loaded leg workout, are you doing relatively heavy or light weight? After the first couple, are you really able to put good effort into the last 2? Also, have you tried single leg presses? (one leg on the leg press isntead of two, put the heel high and go deep (<90 degrees) Great for the hamstrings and glutes, but very intense.

i think of the first 2 exercises as the heavy lifting ones, then the next two as "the finishers" so i do them at a lighter weight/ with higher reps.

i'm not very strong so i did 185 lbs for squats , 135 lbs for deadlifts.

i noticed that workout B has no specific exercise for triceps.. will the bench pressing will take care of them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads