• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are leather trench coats back ???

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Nordstrom

Saw the other one @ Polo, and just yawned.
Then spotted the $3700 price tag for that and went

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They remind me of what the European aristocrats wore in the 30's wearing leather trench coats in their Bugatti roadsters.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
They remind me of European aristocrats in the 30's wearing leather trench coats in their Bugatti roadsters.
And Hermès would have made the coats. While the popularity of the motorcar really bit into their carriage and saddle business they rebounded by making motoring clothes, particularly leathers.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
They remind me of what the European aristocrats wore in the 30's wearing leather trench coats in their Bugatti roadsters.
You don't look that old...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When I see leather trench coats I am reminded of a guy that used to work in the office that wore one along with black pants, black shirt and irridescent blue tie. Every day of the damn week.
eh.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once considered a Zilli trench in chocolate brown. It was beautiful, the skin like butta and impeccably made. In the end I balked at the 15k tariff. A friend who was with me when the salesman disclosed the price blurted out, "Zilly, as in Silly!"

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very difficult look to pull off. But some of the brands brands that do the elegant, distressed stuff have some pretty beautiful in a last-man-on -earth way leather trenches.

Rick Owens and Poell come to mind.

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
Not a black leather trench fan. Too many people wind up looking like a school shooting suspect or Neo.
laugh.gif
Brown leather trenches, on the other hand, much easier to do. I have one I thrifted that I break out on occasion...really though, unless you live in an Arctic climate, you pretty much have to admit to yourself that it's attention-grabbing more than it's practical. If you can get past that, it's another nice overcoat to wear.

Eagle

Reaction score
While I am generally a fan of leather jackets, beginning with my AF issue A2 Flight Jacket, the image of a black leather Trench coat evokes an almost visceral dislike. Perhaps so many object to the garment because we have watched too many WWII movies, in which those nasty Gestapo agents were clad in black leather Trenches!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very few people will look good in a leather trench coat, from an objective standpoint.

Those without an ideal body shape (tall and slender, i.e., model type) can just forget it.

Even those who are tall and slender will have to put up with the snickers one will surely attract by wearing a leather trench.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads