• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a sport coat yourself. Is it possible?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently took a Tim Hamilton sport coat over to my parents house, to get their opinion on the fit. My mom asked me how much the sport coat cost, and I told her they retail for around $1000. She then told me that was insane, and a huge rip off, and said that she could (and is willing to) make me a sport coat of the exact same or better material, fully lined, and vented, for less than 1/4 the price. (She actually said she would only charge for material, assuming she can complete it.) I told her this is a very difficult task, but she seemed very confident that she could do it, saying she would even reproduce the working buttonholes on the cuff.

She has made blankets, jackets (with and without lining), dresses, pants, almost all my alterations, etc, and has been tailoring in her spare time for 40+ years.

She plans to use a template for the coat.

Here are my questions:
1. Even with a template, is this going to be more than an amateur tailor is capable of?
2. Where do you find templates? More specifically, where do you find modern cut templates?
3. If no template is available, is going bespoke completely out of the question?
4. What kind of material would be good for the exterior of the jacket? (I would like a medium weight fabric)
5. What would be good for the lining? I was thinking 100% silk. Is silk more difficult to work with than say polyester?
6. Overall, what is the hardest part in constructing a sport coat?
7. Any other tips or suggestions you can give?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding has always been that men's tailoring... especially men's jackets is a whole different ball game from tailoring women's clothes, alterations, etc. I'm sure if someone with a background like your mother could do it if she really set her mind to it and did her homework on it, but I'm guessing it would take a few tries to get it right.

We already have one forumite who makes his own bespoke shoes, I would love to see someone who has homemade jackets.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me thinks that she'd be in way over her head if she's never done it before.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will it be fully canvassed?

The guts of a mens jacket vs. the guts of a typical womans jacket are way different.

MaxJones

Reaction score
If she's interested in doing it then why not? You'll be out $250 and she'll miss a little CSI, but what does that matter?

I say go for it and post picks. It will be an education.

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
+100000 to all Mom may be a hell of a seamstress but a fully canvassed sport coat is tottally different then tailoring anything else. I wish i still could find the thread there was a guy who went over the steps, and he has been making bespoke clothes(as a trade) since he was a child. It is truely an art in and of itself

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
1. Even with a template, is this going to be more than an amateur tailor is capable of?
2. Where do you find templates? More specifically, where do you find modern cut templates?

Here's one...it's life sized:

gingerbread_man2.jpg

You need two pieces just cut from this template. Then you sew around the edges, taking great care not to sew through where your head, hands, feet, and wee wee have to poke out.

7. Any other tips or suggestions you can give?

You mentioned blankets, and those are an excellent starting point. Ed Morel, a senior member of this forum, often uses blankets for the materials in his jackets. His verdict: "Comfy!"

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One would imagine she also needs to be a very talented cutter as well.

"Oh, mommmmmiieeeee..."

psycho3.gif

- B

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe she moonlights in Martin Greenfield's shop?

Onion,

I'd say to let her go ahead with it even if you never wear it. Doing an unstructured, unlined coat might be the easiest, and by template I assume she'd use one of those patterns that you can find in packs at hobby shops: http://i3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/3.../o_vog2585.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
cheap fabric first. Even professional tailors rarely get it spot-on first time round....buy her the 10 buck a meter Chinese fabric, and see how she goes. If it fails, no harm done. It it goes well, elevate...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, if you're serious, why not start by buying your mother something like this as a thank you present:

She might find it interesting.

- B

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
will it be fully canvassed?

The guts of a mens jacket vs. the guts of a typical womans jacket are way different.

It would not be canvassed. It would also have no shoulder pads, which I feel is another difficult process in itself. Also it would have nothing other than patch pockets.

Also my mom has made women's blazers (Hildog style). While different, they still have a lot in common.

Originally Posted by MaxJones
If she's interested in doing it then why not? You'll be out $250 and she'll miss a little CSI, but what does that matter?

I say go for it and post picks. It will be an education.

No, no. I told my mom there was no way she could do it. Thus she said I would only have to pay for materials upon completion. I'm out nothing if she fails miserably.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It would not be canvassed. It would also have no shoulder pads, which I feel is another difficult process in itself. Also it would have nothing other than patch pockets.

Also my mom has made women's blazers (Hildog style). While different, they still have a lot in common.

Hildog Clinton?
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics