• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you forced to dress conservatively because of your occupation?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By "pressure" do you mean?

• official corporate dress-code
  • real peer pressure
  • perceived peer pressure (meaning you THINK peers might not approve even though you have no proof)

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a student, almost everyone around me is dressed like they were just mowing the lawn and went to school in a hurry. My dress is entirely my own choice, but that does put me in the "that guy" bracket. While I am just wearing fairly conservative business dress, I am sure that more extravagant items like bowties and (gasp!) pocket-squares in a conservative environment will be looked upon in the same manner as my ordinary silk ties in school. On the other hand, I'm fairly sure that I can now pull off suspenders and fedoras as well now, since I'm already known as "that guy" - so taking it a step further surely won't damage my image any more.

If you look at those items with envy, then why not try just one of them? Then later on, try an additional item, and so on.

jhao

Reaction score
Yes, I work as a lawyer in a small solo firm ( my father´s), so I have more freedom than other lawyers, but don't want to push it too far. My "stylish" things are linen PS and sometime knit ties.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the client.

With some clients, the only statement that I can make is with my tie and cuff links. With other clients, I wear my briskly colored shirts to stand out.

At the current client that I'm at (in the southwest), it's quite casual, so we mostly show up in slacks or dress jeans and a dress shirt. This gives me more flexibility to wear interesting clothes; however, it also means that I cannot use the portions of my wardrobe that I am most proud of (i.e. formal wear).

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope! Work as a graphic designer so I'm afforded a lot of freedom when it comes to the clothes I can wear...

orthofrancis

Reaction score
Most of the times yes. I'm a surgeon at a major university, and have a variety of patients that I treat.
When I'm seeing pts on the rich side of town, I'll wear my suit, links, PS, and a tie.
When I'm seeing poor pts on the other side of town, I wear a suit/jacket without a tie, no links, no PS, or a white coat over a shirt and tie.
People need to identify with you, and be comfortable with you.
The rest of the week I spend in scrubs, paper gowns, lead apron and rubber clogs(Calzurros, not Crocs), with my suit in my office. No, I have not tailored my scrubs like that train wreck of a surgeon from Dr. 90210

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am the international sales director of a midwestern corporation. what drove me to dress well was, early on (maybe 20 years ago) career options. now, I actually have the ability to dress pretty much as I want. the limitation is not to seem to much of a dandy to my customers (even though that isn't a direction that I am interested in, anyway) . but I have more flexiblity than the guys who report to me, because being higher up on the totem pole gives me some leeway there.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My job (management consulting, first year out of undergrad, at a firm that, according to some, promotes conformity) allows me to indulge in most of my more unusual desires: for example, pocket squares, cream silk suits, ribbon belts, even espadrille-like shoes on Fridays in the office. I don't think I would be comfortable wearing bow ties, braces or a vest, or even a tie everyday (business casual office), but these days I wouldn't be wearing them on my own free time, either.

I do dress conservatively when meeting/working with the client.

Personality and reputation play a big role in what one can "get away with". An abrasive striver who dresses less conservatively will be viewed quite differently from a congenial fellow who dresses the same way. Attitude matters a lot in dressing. And in this case, producing good work also matters a lo

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Personality and reputation play a big role in what one can "get away with". An abrasive striver who dresses less conservatively will be viewed quite differently from a congenial fellow who dresses the same way. Attitude matters a lot in dressing. And in this case, producing good work also matters a lot

+1

Agreed totally. I wear more or less what I want to work, and work with a broad range of the public and a fairly broad range of colleageus. Don't be a wanker and you can get away with a lot in terms of dress.

Obviously, some professions are VERY conservative and you just have to knuckle down and dress soberly. But in most, the only thing stopping you is yourself, I think.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience is more of being forced to dress casually/boringly (I work as an IT consultant). When I wear a tie, I'm usually the only one... When I wear a PS, I'm *always* the only one. Hell, I'm often the only one wearing a suit.
frown.gif

On the plus side, I seem to get away with dressing how I like just fine.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in law and nobody is making me dress like a drone.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads