• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 3-Piece Thred

Winot

Reaction score
Can't a moderator change it? It's doing my hed in.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
i know. i hit edit and its wont let me edit the title. apologies, all.

You should be able to edit the thread title in advanced mode.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I have quite a few (even in Florida) and wear them to the office in the winter.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks is showing some new three-pieces this season. It's interesting that they don't make any without a lapelled vest.

I think the top outfit is especially well put together:

316K_Grey_enlarged.jpg

290K_Tan_enlarged.jpg

299K_Grey_enlarged.jpg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Roger Sterling on Mad Men rocks some beautiful 3-piece suits.
madmenslattery.jpg
Ep10_03_MG_0933_restrict_width_792.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like the way the Sterling character dresses differently than everyone else. He wears DB (the only one to do so) and 3 piece (Sal wears odd vests, or odd trousers, with a jacket and vest that match, but no one else wears a true 3-piece that I have noticed).

I assume the costume designers are saying that Sterling has a huge wardrobe from the 40s through the mid-50s, and has not replaced it, nor has he changed his style. It's a nice touch, and a nice contrast to the others.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Roger Sterling on Mad Men rocks some beautiful 3-piece suits.
madmenslattery.jpg

Ep10_03_MG_0933_restrict_width_792.jpg

Has anyone heard where they're getting all of the great suits for this show? It's hard to believe that there's this much in a studio wardrobe.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing - it seems to me that Sterling is wearing his bespoke wardrobe from the post war era, and Draper is wearing more a post Korea wardrobe, and Pete Campbell is wearing a very contemporary early 60's wardrobe, with thinner lapels, shorter pants and jackets and bolder colors. I also noticed that Duck Phillips was wearing odd vests and the occassional tweed jacket when he first joined the firm (and had just come from a stint in London). And now Phillips has settled into more a New York look.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
Has anyone heard where they're getting all of the great suits for this show? It's hard to believe that there's this much in a studio wardrobe.

In fact, my girlfriend has been shopping at a place where the costume designer for the show has found a lot of the wardrobe - at least on the women's side. She's not sure if they have a good men's collection, and I haven't made it over there yet. Once I have a chance to check it out I'll pass on the news.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact, my girlfriend has been shopping at a place where the costume designer for the show has found a lot of the wardrobe - at least on the women's side. She's not sure if they have a good men's collection, and I haven't made it over there yet. Once I have a chance to check it out I'll pass on the news.

Thanks

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing - it seems to me that Sterling is wearing his bespoke wardrobe from the post war era, and Draper is wearing more a post Korea wardrobe, and Pete Campbell is wearing a very contemporary early 60's wardrobe, with thinner lapels, shorter pants and jackets and bolder colors. I also noticed that Duck Phillips was wearing odd vests and the occassional tweed jacket when he first joined the firm (and had just come from a stint in London). And now Phillips has settled into more a New York look.
Let's just hope that Mona doesn't do the classic "I am divorcing my husband so I am going to cut all of his nice suits into tatters and spread them on the front lawn."

And damn, poor Freddie! We have never encountered that particular suit problem on this board....

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tricky question. I am not sure if it is going a bit too far...though most would say a three-piece is going pretty far. I guess if it is good enough for Brooks, it is good enough for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads