• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff Styleforvm overrates

djs488

Reaction score
For all the fuss (IMO, appropriate) made about proper fit, I find people are rarely willing to pay for fit, only quality. This is particularly apparent in the lower price ranges in SW&D. People will rarely buy H&M or Zara -- generally good, slimmer fitting clothing -- at the same price range they would buy worse fitting, but better quality clothing. Perhaps this is indicative of some quality minimum that people just aren't willing to breach. One exception to this, albeit at a higher price range, would be BoO. People often buy BoO at retail for its unique fit, but the construction is not all that.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'm about as interested in Anne Hathaway's ass as I am the rest of her.

What is it with you guys and butt sex? Its like the holy grail to you.

+1, boning the butt is overrated (unless you are gay, I guess)

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Now that I think about it, I actually cannot recall a single instance of Manton directly influencing what someone else then wears.

Then let me stand as a counterexample. Manton has often extolled the virtue of the double-breasted waistcoat, inspiring me to get two suits made up with them. I like the look, and it's served me well.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Really?

Now that I think about it, I actually cannot recall a single instance of Manton directly influencing what someone else then wears. This is because when he discusses dress, he usually addresses the relationship of style to historical antecedants, as Sator does to, uhm, pre-history. In the case of both gentlemen, the discussion of history is inevitably related to what was correct. What was correct once is often a great improvement to what is worn today.

But, I don't really see many people trying to dress like Manton, or Will, or Sator, or FNB, all of whom offer a bit of pedagogy in their posts to varying degrees of success. In contrast, I see quite a few people trying to dress like iammatt...and he's got no pedagogy going for him at all.

It's the difference between being interesting and influential.

- B

I try to dress like Will.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Then let me stand as a counterexample. Manton has often extolled the virtue of the double-breasted waistcoat, inspiring me to get two suits made up with them. I like the look, and it's served me well.

Dang. That reminds me that I'm thinking of getting a DB waistcoat myself, but I swear it isn't Mantonian in origin...then again, the mind plays tricks on you.

Originally Posted by texas_jack
I try to dress like Will.

That's an excellent way to look like a gentleman.

- B

millionaire75

Reaction score
Just gotta say, this thread is so refreshing....a lot of posters venting about stuff that I have been thinking but too afraid to say (lol)

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
pocketsquares

I'm a fan, but if you dont wear one it looks fine too. I'd rather see no pocketsquare than some of ways they're put into the pockets on this forum, like plants sprouting up with all these tendrils sticking out

Plant tendril-style is a legitimate medium.
(For SOME) <- Styleforum's only real rule: If you have to ask...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
...and Edmorel's perverseness

fella seems like a normal red blooded American man to me

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
tiger02's meaty thighs
vox's tight bike shorts/bike pic
conne's douchiness

jealousy

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flat fronts (they don't work for everyone)
Trousers with no break
Wild socks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads