• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tell me if this would be overtraining

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
If that's true then why do so many crossfit people I see (pics on crossfit.com and founders) look out of shape?

As a Crossfitter since 2003, I am well aware of the pros and cons of the program. Greg Glassman (founder of CF) has a bad back from his days as a gymnast. He doesn't do Crossfit. Bill Belichek is out of shape too, yet has been the best coach in the NFL since 2000. I wouldn't hold Greg Glassman's physical shape against CF.

Pros:
As a 44 year old, I appreciate the brief, intense workouts. With 3 kids, I don't have time to spend 1-2 hours each day working out. CF keeps me in good all-around shape with a minimal investment

The athletic workouts (o-lifts, sprints, rowing) keep me fairly flexible without a separate stretching program.

The shorter workouts seem to have excellent carryover to longer cardio events. I haven't run over 4 miles in 20 years, yet finished in the top third of a 15K race this summer using only CF for conditioning.

Considering how infrequently the heavy lifts come up in the WOD, the poundages lifted are pretty good. I do heavy DL maybe 10 times a year, yet I can DL 2X my BW at any time. 2X bodyweight DL is no great feat (yet I see very few guys who can do it), but those who DL more than that are working at it a lot more and usually can't run worth a crap.

Looking like you're in shape often has little to do with actually being in shape. Dan John says that the most important muscles are those you need a mirror to see (back, butt, hips). Most people spend 90% of their time pumping up their pecs and biceps. I see way too many peacocks strutting around the gym who look very imposing yet can't squat or DL nearly what I can.

Cons
The cult mentality. Jesus, it drives me nuts! The (CF) forum squashes any serious questions about the effectiveness of CF.

I don't find that it necessarily builds "bodybuilding" type muscle. Now, to be honest, I have never been able to put on much mass in my chest or arms. I'm not blessed in those areas which is what 99% of most guys want. CF rarely does heavy bench presses and never curls. They do a decent amount of dips (usually ring dips) and does an incredible amount of pull-ups, but my chest or biceps haven't seen much difference. Of course, my chest and biceps didn't see much difference when I did regular type workouts either. Since most guys want to look like bodybuilders, I would say that CF is not the best way to get there.

CF is a yuppie sport. Look at the pictures of the CF certifications. They look like a Republican convention. 99% white and many over the age of 35. These are people who don't think twice of paying $1000 to go to a CF certification for 2 days or paying $150 a month to workout at a CF affiliate. EDIT: what I mean by this is that I think one of the weaknesses of CF is that it's such a homogeneous group and doesn't look for/easily accept other ways of doing things. It's talk radio mentality: you hang out with a group of people who believe exactly what you believe, so you find it hard to believe that there is a whole world out there with different beliefs.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Unfounded rumours! There is no reason for you to assume IFBB pros to be engaged in homosexual activities.
Many are happily married or divorced to be with another. Woman of course!

When one achieves a masculine god-like stature, what mere woman could possibly suffice?

lefty

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
When one achieves a masculine god-like stature, what mere woman could possibly suffice?

lefty

Based on this post, I can safely assume your post on Jay being a peg boy is just a malicious rumour started by you for God knows what rationale. For shame!!!

To answer your post, which many would beg me not to, I can say Ms Olympia or Ms Olympia Fitness participants.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To answer your post, which many would beg me not to, I can say Ms Olympia or Ms Olympia Fitness participants.

You'd think so, but then how does one explain the male only action after the Arnold BB comp?

lefty

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
You'd think so, but then how does one explain the male only action after the Arnold BB comp?

lefty

What on earth are you on about now? Which one are you referring to?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
You are an idiot as well. You are one of those morons who miss substance over form.
Really? A guy who worships the oil that pools at Jay Cutler's feet is going to lecture me about substance over form?
laugh.gif

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Really? A guy who worships the oil that pools at Jay Cutler's feet is going to lecture me about substance over form?
laugh.gif

You are an unmitigated moron.

You think someone like Jay is a hollow shell?
You think he is not as strong as he looks?
Ronnie is undoubtedly one of the strongest man alive if he choose to focus on olympic lifts.
Ditto even a low IFBB ranked bodybuilder like Donnie Jackson.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Ronnie is undoubtedly one of the strongest man alive if he choose to focus on olympic lifts.

And yet he doesn't. And you don't worship the people who do, you get a hard-on for the "male boobies" of the people who train solely for aesthetics. I realize you're incredibly dense, and probably immune to irony, but this can't be THAT hard for you to figure out.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
And yet he doesn't. And you don't worship the people who do, you get a hard-on for the "male boobies" of the people who train solely for aesthetics. I realize you're incredibly dense, and probably immune to irony, but this can't be THAT hard for you to figure out.

He doesnt for many many legitimate reasons. You obviously miss my last post. These aint people who train solely for aesthetics. These are FUNCTIONAL muscles.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He doesnt for many many legitimate reasons. You obviously miss my last post. These aint people who train solely for aesthetics. These are FUNCTIONAL muscles.

Considering that there are powerlifters and o-lifters who have much less mass yet they are significantly stronger, I would question how functional their (pro bodybuilders) muscles are. They (pro bodybuilders) are very strong, but they work out for muscle size; strength is largely a by-product. Other than the heavyweights, lifters try and get as strong as possible without gaining much weight so that they can stay in lighter weight classes.

I can appreciate the incredibly hard work that goes into being a pro bodybuilder. Not a whole lot of functionality to it, though.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Considering that there are powerlifters and o-lifters who have much less mass yet they are significantly stronger, I would question how functional their (pro bodybuilders) muscles are. They (pro bodybuilders) are very strong, but they work out for muscle size; strength is largely a by-product. Other than the heavyweights, lifters try and get as strong as possible without gaining much weight so that they can stay in lighter weight classes.

I can appreciate the incredibly hard work that goes into being a pro bodybuilder. Not a whole lot of functionality to it, though.

I would disagree with your point on not a whole lot of functionality because many IFBB pros can lift many times their bodyweight. I would agree if they are in effect human balloons.

Also, please note if not for their training, some can lift more. Jay don't lift as much as Ronnie but thats because of his frenetic pace in the gym.

All in all, would you like to look like Jay or some stunted powerlifted with bad acne on his back? Enuff said.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beasty;1334794 said:
I would disagree with your point on not a whole lot of functionality because many IFBB pros can lift many times their bodyweight. I would agree if they are in effect human balloons.

Also, please note if not for their training, some can lift more. Jay don't lift as much as Ronnie but thats because of his frenetic pace in the gym.

All in all, would you like to look like Jay or some stunted powerlifted with bad acne on his back? Enuff said.[/QUOTE]

I'd be ashamed to look like either.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Considering that there are powerlifters and o-lifters who have much less mass yet they are significantly stronger, I would question how functional their (pro bodybuilders) muscles are. They (pro bodybuilders) are very strong, but they work out for muscle size; strength is largely a by-product. Other than the heavyweights, lifters try and get as strong as possible without gaining much weight so that they can stay in lighter weight classes. I can appreciate the incredibly hard work that goes into being a pro bodybuilder. Not a whole lot of functionality to it, though.
Beasty doesn't seem to understand one of the core principles of training; specificity. If you train for hypertrophy, you get big. If you train for strength/power, you get strength or power. DUH I know it's obvious but I thought it needs to be said. Second, pigeonholing power lifters as hulking masses of indistinguishable muscle and fat and bodybuilders as glorified balloon animals are both incorrect. There are bodybuilders who many people who like to look like, and there are bodybuilders nobody in a healthy state of mind would like to look like. Many lean/lightweight power lifters have physiques which more people would find attractive than bodybuilders, not to mention more functional as well. Again, if you're training solely for looking attractive, then work out like a model and leave actually being healthy to professionals. I wonder which subgroup beasty looks like. Something tells me, none of the above.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I wonder which subgroup beasty looks like. Something tells me, none of the above.

Or aspires to? My guess is squeezing himself into the middle of these robust fellows:

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics