• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff Styleforvm overrates

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Ralph Lauren. A lot of it may be great, purple label especially, but I own quite a bit of the supposedly better Polo stuff as a result of forum encouragement and it is just sort of meh.

Really? I think, particularly on sale, the Made in Italy Polo stuff represents a solid value. In my experience, they're one of the few RTW brands whose trousers routinely have forward pleats.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Over-priced plastic furnitures.

Stop making fun of Anne Hathaway's nose!
devil.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obsessing over style rules.

At the end of the day, you should wear what you think looks good, and what you feel like wearing. It is quite possible for people to wear black suits, or cuff links without jackets and pull it off.

Fussing over some of these rules without accepting the fact that at the end of they they are just clothes can be a little over the top.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Really? I think, particularly on sale, the Made in Italy Polo stuff represents a solid value. In my experience, they're one of the few RTW brands whose trousers routinely have forward pleats.

I'm not saying it's bad... just saying it's overrated. It seems to have taken on mythical status here on SF... a mythical status that has not squared up with my personal experiences.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sleeve pitch
Shell cordovan
Knit ties
DWR cookie-cutter interior design
Brigg umbrellas
2" cuffs
"Classic" style
High-waisted trousers with braces
Stowa Antea
Aviator shades
RM Williams (MC)
Allen Edmonds (MC and SW&D)
Pauls Smith shoes (SW&D)
Common Projects (SW&D)
"Truly free" markets

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Proper "fit"
Quality
Value

repressedm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
This is too easy. First, there's way too much attention to fit, and especially the degree to which fit is more important than quality or just sporting a storied label.

Styleforum also overrates photography skills. Natural light, clean your mirror, tripod, BAH HUMBUG. You can't see the details? Use your imagination for crissakes.

Styleforum also overrates buying on discount. You want the item, pay full retail I say.

Finally, Styleforum overrates wit. This is not a comedy forum. Everyone tries way too hard to be funny. People should tell it like is and leave well enough alone.

At first I was going to post F--- but I have decided you deserve A+++++

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
This is too easy. First, there's way too much attention to fit, and especially the degree to which fit is more important than quality or just sporting a storied label.
fail.jpg
I think the opposite is true. If you wear a $10K Brioni suit that doesn't fit, it looks like you are wearing someone else's suit. I'd rather go to Target and have it fit like a glove. Allen Edmonds I could never wear either because they are too old-fashioned looking. Love knit ties though.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Sounds like Dewey wants AAAC.

I think you missed it.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I won't mention any names for fear of starting a flame war, but I think there are a few watch brands that get blown a little out of proportion here.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I won't mention any names for fear of starting a flame war, but I think there are a few watch brands that get blown a little out of proportion here.

+10000.

I will, though. Panerai comes to mind, of course.

Followed by other watches whose functionality could be had from $50 quartz watches with more reliability and better quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads