• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG for RLPL: Good News and Bad News

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG still makes shoes for RLPL and my local Dallas store now has a pretty wide variety. Most of the stock the last 6 months has been black, but now they are carrying browns as well.

Here is the good news:

The Grant is back in Dark Oak. It looked sublime.
The Mackay is available in a gorgeous suede.
The Eden was also available in Dark Oak and looked pretty stunning.

These and many more styles were available in black as well.

I know a lot of people have been wanting the Grant in Dark Oak.

The bad news:

The price is now $1250 per pair!!!

I can't believe EGs went from $950 to $1250 in one season. To be fair Ralph's were underpriced in comparison to the rest of the market at $950, esp. because they included trees.

But at $1250, even including trees, these are priced slightly more than a pair of MTO from LeatherSoul.

The real killer is I had been hoping they would introduce a pair of Mackays in brown suede for this season as I am on a suede shoe hunt. But at these prices, it's certainly out of the question.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had to happen and we did get fair warning from the Mansion on the price increase.

As for Mackay in suede, I've had coffee suede for a few years and recently picked up mink suede for $150 courtesy of another SFer!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not too bad. $950 with trees was downright underpriced during the last few years of weak dollar.

Of course, I am only waiting for the 40% promo.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't say that it wasn't coming, with the weak dollar and all.

Aren't RTW EG's about the sam price too? And it's without trees.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with all of you, but $300 in one season is fairly steep. I think RTW that shops like Leathersoul and Skyvalet are now $1000-1050. So Ralph's are indeed a little more, even factoring in the trees. I think the styles unique to Ralph though are the best, imo, out of the EG catalog. The Mackay (better medallion than Asquith) and the Grant and Barksdale loafer are superb.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
You can't say that it wasn't coming, with the weak dollar and all. Aren't RTW EG's about the sam price too? And it's without trees.
+1.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the EG Asquith better than the mckay, but the Grant in Dark Oak is seriously the best EG product that I can think of right now.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I like the EG Asquith better than the mckay, but the Grant in Dark Oak is seriously the best EG product that I can think of right now.

Word!!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Austerity brogues f'ing rule

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Austerity brogues f'ing rule

Z...did yousee these that I got in shell from EG?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know $950 with trees was a very good price point, but it's still hard to swallow a price hike of more than 30% especially at this economic climate. Weak dollar as a reason for the hike doesn't hold as the dollar has been strengthening againt the sterling for the past year, at least until two weeks ago.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Z...did yousee these that I got in shell from EG?

Sweet...not to threadjack too much, but it is interesting to compare those to these F-last Vass in cordo that I have (in the foreground):

285302684_WaqXa-O.jpg

- B

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the grants are my favourite single monkstrap shoes that I'd never be able to grab a retail orice

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Sweet...not to threadjack too much, but it is interesting to compare those to these F-last Vass in cordo that I have (in the foreground):

- B

Love the F last B!

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eden's still @ $950

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics