• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Shine & Co -- 15000% endorsement

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
After reading about A Shine & Co (http://www.ashineandco.com/) on Will's blog (asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com) several times, I stopped by one of their locations when I was in SF last.

I have never had any pair of my shoes look this good. I am floored.

I walked in in a pair of Polo RL Darlton penny loafers (by C&J) in brown cordovan. The kind and fun women on the staff immediately struck up a good conversation with me about shell cordovan, Aldens, and shoes in general (these women REALLY knew their stuff -- I was impressed).

The shoes started out not badly scuffed at all, barely in need of a shine (it's shell, so it always looks pretty good). The woman helping me went to town on them. First a heavy-handed horsehair brushing, then toothbrush and water around the welt, then THREE separate complete coats of Lincoln wax (the last 2 with a spritz of water in the can first). My shoes are sparkling now. I can actually see my reflection in them.

This was incredible. Fun, good conversation, and my shoes look better than ever. I want to bring all my shoes with me next time.

Highly recommended.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it's great that there is a well-organized group offering this service, but is it really humane to pay recovering alcoholics to sniff shoe-shine fumes all day?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was this the one in the Galleria? I always get a great shine there.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing about the sniffing all day.

No camera with me now -- pics later perhaps!

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I think it's great that there is a well-organized group offering this service, but is it really humane to pay recovering alcoholics to sniff shoe-shine fumes all day?

That's a sensitive comment isn't it. Did you think about it for long?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I go to the Galleria outpost when I can. Always a great shine.

TintinATL

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend a good shoe shine place in Atlanta?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
The shoes started out not badly scuffed at all, barely in need of a shine (it's shell, so it always looks pretty good). The woman helping me went to town on them. First a heavy-handed horsehair brushing, then toothbrush and water around the welt, then THREE separate complete coats of Lincoln wax (the last 2 with a spritz of water in the can first). My shoes are sparkling now. I can actually see my reflection in them.
You've described what can only be called a very thorough polishing, and I guess the effort is commendable, but this applying of three coats of shoe polish to shell cordovan would have to be considered completely contrary to all advice on the subject of the care of shell cordovan from those who know the most--Horween and Alden (Alden, in the leaflet that they include with their shell cordovan shoes, recommends just an occasional very thin single coat of polish). Shell is very dense and practically impermeable, and thus does not absorb polish well at all. Slathering on three coats of polish, as was done, can be expected to lead to an undesirable wax buildup.

Actually, the whole process, as you've described it--although energetic--would also be quite sub-optimal if it were applied with calf as well, given the absence of any leather conditioning, either with an all-out conditioner or with a cream. There's very little to be gained by repeated coats of a wax polish (and a wax buildup is inevitable). Instead, with calf (not shell), the overall effort is better expended with application of other--particularly moisturizing--products (conditioner and cream) prior to the one coat of wax needed to ensure protection against the elements and a higher shine (the latter can be a spit shine, as was done here, if that's desired).

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
You've described what can only be called a very thorough polishing, and I guess the effort is commendable, but this applying of three coats of shoe polish to shell cordovan would have to be considered completely contrary to all advice on the subject of the care of shell cordovan from those who know the most--Horween and Alden (Alden, in the leaflet that they include with their shell cordovan shoes, recommends just an occasional very thin single coat of polish). Shell is very dense and practically impermeable, and thus does not absorb polish well at all. Slathering on three coats of polish, as was done, can be expected to lead to an undesirable wax buildup.

Actually, the whole process, as you've described it--although energetic--would also be quite sub-optimal if it were applied with calf as well, given the absence of any leather conditioning, either with an all-out conditioner or with a cream. There's very little to be gained by repeated coats of a wax polish (and a wax buildup is inevitable). Instead, with calf (not shell), the overall effort is better expended with application of other--particularly moisturizing--products (conditioner and cream) prior to the one coat of wax needed to ensure protection against the elements and a higher shine (the latter can be a spit shine, as was done here, if that's desired).

You are correct and the Shine & Co. process in reality is just it should be. Based on the price paid by the OP, the additional "coats" would have been conditioning products.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raising this thread up from the semi-dead to alert Manhattanites that A Shine & Co. is up and running in their new Chelsea Market location here in NYC. I first heard of them via Will and others in the SanFran area, who really had nothing but great things to say. I met them at the MRket trade show in January - they had a stand set up sponsored by Saphyr. I got a great shine that day - they used light brown saphyr cream on the body of the shoe and then (surprisingly, to me anyway) a small amount of black saphyr cream to further accentuate the EG burnishing at the toe box and back quarters. All in all, I thought they were pretty good and probably the only outfit that regularly offers a saphyr shine outside of Nick V. at B. Nelson on 55th. So, a great shine option to have in Manhattan!

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-chelsea-market-and-manhattan.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics