• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Abercrombie makes amazing slim fitting shirts, I just wish they didnt put the moose logo on the pocket.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a really cheap, decent looking and very fitted shirt is the Selected tight fit line.

it's easily my cheapest dress shirt but it fits great....very tight in the waist but not "euro-trash" looking.

8bpc

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Brooks Brothers Slim Fit Original Polo Button-Down Oxford Dress Shirt. It fits pretty close on the sides and the arms do not seem too baggy, but like all slim or modern fit shirts I pick up, once I tuck them in I end up having what I feel is excessive fabric in the back. The shirt fits close in the chest but it balloons out in the back and I have bunched fabric at the sides and back of the waist.

I've flipped through this thread, but haven't really determined what it is I need to ask my tailor to do to get my shirts to fit correctly. I leave it to you Style Forum, please share your fit wisdom.
smile.gif

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
How about Brooks Brothers custom-made shirts? Do they have a good slim-fit line?

I've used them. If you use their digital tailoring or their custom tailoring, they will fit better than any off the rack shirt, especially if you are "athletically" shaped. (Big chest/shoulders, skinny waist.) They're not perfect by any means, but definitely a better fit. Of course, one could go real custom and visit a custom shirtmaker and it would be even better.

Originally Posted by 8bpc
I've flipped through this thread, but haven't really determined what it is I need to ask my tailor to do to get my shirts to fit correctly. I leave it to you Style Forum, please share your fit wisdom.
smile.gif

You have 2 options: 1) ask for darts to be taken out of the back or 2) ask for the waist to be taken in from the side seams. 2) is harder than 1) and will probably cost a little more.

I explained most of this stuff here:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=466

saremile

Reaction score
I think all this talk about which brand has a slimmer fit is totally useless. Many people don't ever include their chest size, height, weight, etc. It's better if you provide measurements of the shirts. I particularly like the fit of H&M shirts. But it's a little too tight in the shoulder. I wear a size small. So here's the measurement. I only care about shoulder length and chest length. Shoulder length-appr. 17.5 inches across. Chest length (bottom of armhole)-about 19.25 inches across. And if anyone out there can point me to a brand with such a measurement. It would be great. My budget is about 50 bucks per shirt. Thanks

Again, it would be great if you can provide measurements of the shirt. That way we all can see if it's really slim or not.

saremile

Reaction score
I have to say that i don't particularly shop much...so that's probably why i can't compare shirts...anyway if anyone's got some suggestions, that'll be great

8bpc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai
You have 2 options: 1) ask for darts to be taken out of the back or 2) ask for the waist to be taken in from the side seams. 2) is harder than 1) and will probably cost a little more.

I explained most of this stuff here:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=466

So I visited a tailor the other day and they wanted $40 to slim a shirt so I walked since posts I've read mention $10-$20 price range. The method they were going to use was to take in at the side seams and claimed it would be more expensive because more work was involved because of the french seams. I asked about darts and received a crazy look - those are only for woman's shirts. If they were to do that they said they would only be able to take out around 3 inches. I believe the final pinning for removal from the side seams was going to remove around 5-6 inches. $40 seems like a lot, am I wrong?

Are any of the shirts you guys are having altered have box pleats in the back? I guess this just adds to the extra fabric, which isn't the direction I want to be headed. The Brooks Brothers Slim Fit Original Polo Button-Down Oxford Dress Shirts I picked up have box pleats... was this a bad choice? Should I return them and look for something else... that will still need to be altered. The shirts feel nice, I just need to get rid of the ridiculous balloon of fabric in the back!

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need some suggestions as to what my options are for dress shirts. I have 16 inch shoulders and about a 35 inch chest; however, my Robert Talbot shirt size 15.5 is too tight in the neck. Looks like I should have went with a size 16 in this brand. I also have a Thomas Pink slim-fit shirt in size 14.5 which fits perfectly in the body and shoulders but obviously too tight in the neck to allow a tie. Now is there any OTR brand that would fit my physique without tailoring? I think it's odd that I have a slim build yet my neck size is 16. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hey SF, finally getting around to my first post here because I'm getting desperate to find the right fit. I'm a total ectomorph, standing 6'1" and about 155lbs. My chest is 34" around and my waist is 31", and I have an incredibly hard time finding shirts that fit well even among so-called fitted/slim fit/modern fit labels.

For reference, I'm a 15" around the neck and my sleeve measure is 33 1/2" ideally. What labels can I wear that won't make me look like a 9 year old boy trying on his father's clothes?

nat3291

Reaction score
New to site.
I recently just started wearing theory shirts. they fit slim and the quality is superb. Highly recommended. Look for their slim fit shirts. about 125 a shirt but can be cheaper on sale. found a nordstrom, saks, etc. I have giorgio armani, prada, etc. but none fit the way these shirts do. anyway cheers.

Proof Rock

Reaction score
Where is a good place to order decent shirts online? I live in the middle of nowhere.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Proof Rock
Where is a good place to order decent shirts online? I live in the middle of nowhere.

My only advice is to have a shirt copied when using the online tailors. Either send them the shirt or give them the exact measurements of it.

TheClearanceGuy

Reaction score
Boxy shirts like Polo should be banned. Slim fit or tailored such as Brooks are much smarter. However, you can get some off the shelf at Kenneth Cole, French Connection that come close to a tailored fit if you have a slender build.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads