• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are your banks so s****y?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly. Like, months ago they wouldn't cash a money order even with a hold on it. Now they're all going out of business. Look to Canada for a responsible banking system. LOL.

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Ive got mine neatly stacked undernieth my mattress
wink.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Honestly. Like, months ago they wouldn't cash a money order even with a hold on it. Now they're all going out of business. Look to Canada for a responsible banking system. LOL.

But you can buy beer 24/7 at the corner store in the US. And the LCBO really sucks hard.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
But you can buy beer 24/7 at the corner store in the US.

???

Not in the last three states I've lived in...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But you can buy beer 24/7 at the corner store in the US.
What US are you talking about?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But you can buy beer 24/7 at the corner store in the US. And the LCBO really sucks hard.

This is true. It's a real pain ********** trying to buy wine. If you want something specific, you have to order through the SAQ. You can't buy direct from the vineyard.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Investment banks are different than the quasi-governmental deposit banks in Canada dumbass. The closest you get to a Canadian bank in the U.S. is Bank of America and Citibank, and I think either could swallow the entire Canadian banking sector whole with the spare change they have lying around in executive offices.

Investment banks like Lehman and Morgan Stanley have not existed in Canada for some time, when Canadian chartered banks were permitted to buy securities dealers. This resulted in a banking model that looks like B of A, Citi, and Wachovia, which are all regulated more heavily than i-banks, and cannot use as much leverage as traditional investment banks could use. These aren't "banks" that are failing so much as large, institutional hedge funds, at least compared to the chartered banks in Canada.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You hate our freedoms.

Hazad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Investment banks are different than the quasi-governmental deposit banks in Canada dumbass.

I've been amazed by the number of people who cannot fathom this distinction.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hazad
I've been amazed by the number of people who cannot fathom this distinction.

I think you're all being hard on the state of Canada and it's banking system.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
J and Crazy, I've lived in a few states now. Around the clock booze at "party stores." Remind me to stay away from your places!
laugh.gif

And still...the LCBO really sucks.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Investment banks are different than the quasi-governmental deposit banks in Canada dumbass. The closest you get to a Canadian bank in the U.S. is Bank of America and Citibank, and I think either could swallow the entire Canadian banking sector whole with the spare change they have lying around in executive offices.

Investment banks like Lehman and Morgan Stanley have not existed in Canada for some time, when Canadian chartered banks were permitted to buy securities dealers. This resulted in a banking model that looks like B of A, Citi, and Wachovia, which are all regulated more heavily than i-banks, and cannot use as much leverage as traditional investment banks could use. These aren't "banks" that are failing so much as large, institutional hedge funds, at least compared to the chartered banks in Canada.

That is pretty much it in a nut shell. Pure luck that Canada has avoided this for the most part and only due to the fact that we could not use leverage to the same degree.

That said it is not like the Canadian banking sector has gone with out its stories of losses and bad ideas. Thankfully our NY guys only went out drinking with the big US players once a week and not 5 nights or we would be just as hurting. When you hang around with the big boys your going to get into the same mess.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its a little scary that WaMu got destroyed buy a run on deposits though...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The deposit-taking banking model is grounded on trust and faith. That goes, there's nothing left.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads