• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask Me About Magic

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
speaking of hynosis, is it true that you can only hypnotize someone who believes in it or otherwise subconsciously believes it's possible....that you can't hypnotize a sceptic?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
Best of luck with it, and if I am ever in the area, I'll definitely drop in! and incidently,
wink.gif
: edit: btw, have you read "Carter beats the Devil" by Glen David Gold, or some of Clive Barker's works? And a great magician's turnaround song that I like: The Police's "Wrapped around your finger"

I've never read Barker - he is a horror writer? I do enjoy some Steven King, so give me a good specific title to read. Carter Beats The Devil has been on my to-do list. Maybe I'll finally pick it up this weekend.
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Are the gracefully palmed joy buzzer and the deftly concealed whoopie cushion considered magic ?
I wouldn't....
Originally Posted by savage
why don't magicians say "Abracadabra" anymore?
Plenty of magicians actually do use it. I like to present my work in a serious light so I avoid many of the campier conventions (magic wands, bunnies etc) There are some very talented magicians who do use and say these things - but this is not my style.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
speaking of hynosis, is it true that you can only hypnotize someone who believes in it or otherwise subconsciously believes it's possible....that you can't hypnotize a sceptic?
Essentially yes. This is a really interesting and complex area. Strong hypnosis definitely requires the participant being willing and wanting it to work. You can hypnotize a skeptic because many skeptics enjoy magic and hypnosis and allow it to happen - but if you have someone staunchly not wanting it to work it probably won't. I use a gentler technique, a sort of applied hypnosis, that many magicians refer to as "Suggestion." I also generally use young females as my participants (it doesn't work better on women, but they tend to be much more responsive when it does work.) This, in tandem with my devilish grin and charming persona ensures I rarely fail.
devil.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the stuff where david blaine balances on a 100 foot pole for a couple of days, or is underwater for a few days or living in a box for a month,

that is not illusory tricks anywhere, just plain old him bearing it out and doing it? these are not just magic tricks but just endurance tests , no?

what i dont get is if these are actual endurance tests, he should be breaking some world records or setting them, but they dont go in to guiness world records, so that implies to me there is some trickery involved. no?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Fixed.
teacha.gif

plain.gif
.....just wait till we have a magic-off!
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
the stuff where david blaine balances on a 100 foot pole for a couple of days, or is underwater for a few days or living in a box for a month, that is not illusory tricks anywhere, just plain old him bearing it out and doing it? these are not just magic tricks but just endurance tests , no? what i dont get is if these are actual endurance tests, he should be breaking some world records or setting them, but they dont go in to guiness world records, so that implies to me there is some trickery involved. no?
Indeed. Most of Blaine's physical feats have been genuine. There is a long tradition of magicians mixing feats of physical prowess and endurance with magic. This first really came in to the public eye with Houdini. IT's a cool area but one Ihaven't really explored.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I've never read Barker - he is a horror writer? I do enjoy some Steven King, so give me a good specific title to read. Carter Beats The Devil has been on my to-do list. Maybe I'll finally pick it up this weekend....
Yes, Barker is a horror/fantasy writer (remember the character "pinhead"?). He has several books which revolve around the 'Art'. One his novels that I am rather fond of is called "The Thief of Always".

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the animals ever injured/killed as part of a trick? (Like in The Prestige where the bird is crushed in the collapsing cage).

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Are the animals ever injured/killed as part of a trick? (Like in The Prestige where the bird is crushed in the collapsing cage).

The death of animals used to be a common motif in magic. There was a particularly gruesome effect where a picture of a chicken would be stabbed in the neck, causing a nearby, actual chicken to die.

This was gone by the mid twentieth, largely due to changing public sensibility. Nowadays great precautions are taken to make sure everything remains humane for animals in magic.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Which do you like better as a movie...The Prestige or The Illusionist?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
The death of animals used to be a common motif in magic. There was a particularly gruesome effect where a picture of a chicken would be stabbed in the neck, causing a nearby, actual chicken to die.

Oh man, that would be so sweet to watch. Do you know how that was done or if there is any footage of said trick?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever used magic to do what is advertised in a big number of spam e-mails, without a surgery?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Which do you like better as a movie...The Prestige or The Illusionist?
I prefer the Illusionist. Which is odd because i'm a huge fan of the whole Nolan clique (Christian Bale, Micheal Caine e.t.c. The Illusionist is just a very fun, beautifully shot fantasy piece. Paul Giamatti always steals the show and Ed Norton is excellent. The Prestige, which started out very well, ended up toppling under the weight of it's sci-fi conceit. Still both are well worth a watch.
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Also, what do you think of Uri Geller?
Mixed opinions. I have a lot of respect for his success and think he was a great performer. On the other hand, I find the ethics of the situation unfortunate - I think it's very wrong to claim genuine psychic powers. ...still I almost feel as if the people who got duped, deserved it.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Oh man, that would be so sweet to watch. Do you know how that was done or if there is any footage of said trick?
Haha, no. The performances of effects like this predate television/cinema.
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Have you ever used magic to do what is advertised in a big number of spam e-mails, without a surgery?
I've thought about it, but who really needs a wand bigger then 8 inches anyway?
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads