• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me select my next 3k suit!

plotter

Reaction score
So, I now have a budget for a $3,000 suit. I need suggestions for brands, features to look for, and so on.

So far, I am considering Thom Browne, Bottega Veneta, and RLPL.

Do any of these brands provide suits actually worth 3k? Any of them skimpy on handwork and uses a lot of glue?

What features make a suit worth $3,000?

What brands do you recommend that cuts slim fit suits?

I am a US 36, EU 46.

Preferably, single breasted, two button, peak lapel or narrow notch lapel. grey or blue.

direct links to candidate suits would be great!

plotter

Reaction score
Can you give me specific reasons to your selection, hard2fit?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Isaia MTM.
+1. If you're going to spend $3000, then an Isaia MTM would be a good option. They have a good selection of fabrics, and you can specify the details you like.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go see what you can get for 3k at Thom Browne, Bottega Veneta, and RLPL.
Then go see what you can get with 3k from a carrier of Isaia that offers MTM.
Listen to the sales pitches, feel the fabrics and try on models.
You'll have to wear the suit so I'll let you decide what you prefer.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Go see what you can get for 3k at Thom Browne, Bottega Veneta, and RLPL. Then go see what you can get with 3k from a carrier of Isaia that offers MTM. Listen to the sales pitches, feel the fabrics and try on models. You'll have to wear the suit so I'll let you decide what you prefer.
Good advice.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by plotter
Can you give me specific reasons to your selection, hard2fit?

Thom Browne, Bottega, RLPL all have a hefty designer name price increase. The price you paid is not all toward the quality but toward their respective advertising budget.

Quality of Isaia is as good as, if not outright better, than any of them, you get to do it exactly the way you like, the fit should the best short of bespoke.

Motol12

Reaction score
If you like trad suits, you can't go wrong (IMO) with the J. Press MTM program.

The suit I got their fits wonderfully, much better than my other MTMs (although obviously still not as well as bespoke suit.) The man who handles the program, Jay Walter is a wonderful person. He never rushes you or tries to pressure you, and will give as much time as you want to all aspects of the process.

Mine came to be about $2100 (I don't know if the price has gone up since March,) but with the better wools you could get the price up even further.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb here and say my choice would be Golden Fleece MTM and pocket the difference; or better yet, buy a pair of shoes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Tom Ford
I love TF but for $3000 you aren't going to get a lot in the suit category from him, so I don't recommend this route. I agree with Isaia MTM. If you want a major designer, then also try a JIl Sander Tailor-made or the MTM there, as well. The RTW suits run in the low $2000s and have a wonderful fit.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think there could be this much consensus on this.

plotter

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I can get anything from Tom Ford for less than 4k.

As for Isaia, since its getting so much support, are all their suits fully canvassed?
Are there different grades of Isaia?
Where can I procure one in New York city, which is where I live?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads