• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bands You Want to Like More than You Actually Do

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Bowie
Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Beach Boys

agree, except i love zeppelin

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
They (especially the beatles) could play around with song structure with a natural ease that has never been replicated. In addition art's greatness is correlated to its popularity. The beatles were a straight pop band (albeit still impressive for aforementioned reasons) that then went to the opposite end of the spectrum and became extremely experimental. The Beatles are great in the same way Shakespeare is great. This all applies to the stones to a lesser degree.
These things. I understand these things. Totally. With very few exceptions (Hey Jude, Let it be) I still don't like their music though. Which I guess is kind of the point of this thread. I know that buried in among all those albums is all kind of brilliance and innovation. I want to like this. Unfortunately I just dont like how their innovative brilliance sounds.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jenaimarr
Which is why I can't completely follow the herd mentality in dismissing modern manufactured boy bands (backstreet boys, nsync, etc) and bubble gum pop artists like britney spears and the like. It'd be hypocritical to completely disregard them strictly because they were products created by the music industry. Most revered Spector era motown bands were also created by some conglomerate with sheet music handed to them (if they were even fortunate enough to be able to read it) on a silver platter.

Although their musicality and songwriting abilities are craptastic, I still recognize their relevancy as a social barometer (as well as kitch value). Also, it's undeniable that some mainstream pop artists just have a good voice and should be recognized for it. I'm not (too) ashamed to say I was thoroughly entertained when I saw Christina Aguilera w/ Destiny's Child in concert back in 2001. There's a certain unparalled entertainment factor to large budget production values. The caveat is that you don't approach them with the same expectations that you would with a small little indie garage band playing in a smoky dive bar on a Tuesday night.

The apparent distinction, however, seems to be that Spector's music was critically well-received in its day whereas a lot of the manufacturer pop these days is not critically well-received.

I suppose there are some contemporary pop acts with some critical relevancy--I have the impression some Cher and Madonna things are considered good quality.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any death/black metal band. besides their stupid ******* names....the singing/lack of it.

rage against the machine
kanye west

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good thread (and responses). I've no listening experience with a lot of these bands/artists, although many of the names are familiar. Despite a ravenous musical appetite earlier on, kids and life have put a real damper on my 'music time' over the last 5 or 6 years. Even before that I found it difficult to keep up with new sounds - Radiohead? Oasis? Coldplay? Don't think I've heard a song, except for 'I'm a Creep'(?)....

My all time 'don't-get-it' band is Steely Dan.
eh.gif
Also, I'm definitely not down with rap.

It's interestng to see people naming the Beatles & Rolling Stones. Keeping in mind that the Stones haven't released a decent record in over 25 years, are folks really referring to their pre-1980 music?
confused.gif

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum
any death/black metal band. besides their stupid ******* names....the singing/lack of it. rage against the machine kanye west
I know death/black metal seems really silly at first but it's worth a try. You have to take in mind there is a fair amount of camp involved even in the extremes of the genre (one of my personal favorites, Wolves in The Throne Room has certainly alluded to the silliness of their D&D - esque name) I recommend easing your way in with something like Mastodon and then trying the roster of Southern Lord or Battle Kommand, two excellent American black metal labels (and you don't have to deal with all the mess that is European and Scandinavian black emtal.)

sonvolt10

Reaction score
TV on the Radio (but am actually digging (for now) the new one)
Akron/Family
Calexico
M.I.A.
Bloc Party (first album had a few good tracks, everything else...bleh!!!)
Okkervil River
Oneida
Sleater-Kinney
Beirut

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that claim that they have a tough time getting into Radiohead, my advice to you is to continue listening to their music. They are tough to get into, but there will be a moment when you will realize their music is awesome and you will truly become a fan. Or, if you have a chance, check them out live. That should do the trick.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I recommend easing your way in with something like Mastodon and then trying the roster of Southern Lord or Battle Kommand, two excellent American black metal labels (and you don't have to deal with all the mess that is European and Scandinavian black emtal.)

Not sure I would classify Mastodon as black metal, but I could see how it could ease someone towards that genre. I guess I've never quite understood black metal either. Perhaps Mayhem isn't the best band to start with, but I've always gravitated towards thrash. Also, speaking for the campiness of black metal. Watch any music video by the band Immortal. Pure hilarity, and I'm sure the band does it intentionally.

As far as bands I want to like more than I do...

M.I.A.
- Good, yet slightly irritating.

The Cool Kids
- I like them, I just can't sit through an entire album

Radiohead
- Yes, I realize how mind-blowingly talented they are. I just can't get into them.

Tool
-Zzzzzz...

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any death/black metal band. besides their stupid ******* names....the singing/lack of it.

rage against the machine
kanye west

Kanye is fun and lyrical, really have to pay attention to what he is saying because his beats often aren't that catchy.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I know death/black metal seems really silly at first but it's worth a try. You have to take in mind there is a fair amount of camp involved even in the extremes of the genre (one of my personal favorites, Wolves in The Throne Room has certainly alluded to the silliness of their D&D - esque name) I recommend easing your way in with something like Mastodon and then trying the roster of Southern Lord or Battle Kommand, two excellent American black metal labels (and you don't have to deal with all the mess that is European and Scandinavian black emtal.)
mastodon....i've seen live and have no problem with. i am familiar with southern lord thanks to boris.
Originally Posted by ama
Kanye is fun and lyrical, really have to pay attention to what he is saying because his beats often aren't that catchy.
i've heard that...the lyrical part...said about him. it might be the fact he is a douche of epic proportions and his voice is about as annoying as lil waynes that i can not get past.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Seriously? Kanye is one of the definitive producers/beatmakers of contemporary hip hop.
mastodon....i've seen live and have no problem with.
I think you could definitely do some USBM then. Play around on the Southern Lord website and see if you find anything you like.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
Question:

With so many people who claim to not like Radiohead as much as they would like to... how is it that they sell so many records/sell out arenas all the time? Vanity?

Presumably because other people do like them a lot.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take Outkast, Jurassic 5, Gorillaz, Jay-Z and a whole host of others over Kanye. I think that Kanye's beats are just too slow for the content of his lyrics often times.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Switchblade Symphony

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads