• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best steak marinade?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I accidentally posted this in the General Chat forum...sooooo

I'm just looking for some new and interesting (but tried and true) steak marinades. My go-to is Maggi sauce with minced garlic and pepper. Salt after cooking.

What are yours? And do you change up marinades depending on different cuts?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
garlic salt rub and fresh ground pepper. Not too much salt though. Perfect for a NY or Rib Eye.

Swank

Reaction score
I don't marinade any kind of steak house cuts, just sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

for skirt steak or flank steak though the Stubbs beef marinade is fantastic
and not too salty.
it's the only pre-made product of any kind I buy

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ghee, ground red pepper powder or finely chopped serrano peppers, sherry vinegar, soy sauce.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Ghee, ground red pepper powder or finely chopped serrano peppers, sherry vinegar, soy sauce.

Eck. Why in god's name would you ruin a steak with sherry vinegar and soy sayce?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dry rub...garlic salt, cracked black pepper, and brown sugar. It's the brown sugar that makes it out of this world.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others, I'm a fan of the fresh ground salt and fresh ground pepper "rub." Quality salt and quality pepper do make a difference.

When the cut calls for something extra, I enjoy adding minced shallots to the above, as well as a light blend of quality extra virgin olive oil. Sometimes I'll throw in a touch of fresh micro-minced garlic as well.

The basics, IMO, are the best.

I've had Stubb's on other BBQ and find it to be a stand out among dry rubs comercially available.

On occasion, I've enjoyed a peppercorn sauce with beef as well. That's not a rub or marinade but accomplishes some of the same effect (giving the beef a different taste).

I'll admit to a soft spot for Lawrey's Season Salt as well. Growing up, it was not uncommon for garlic salt or Lawrey's to be used on steak (as well as A-1 when served), so I still enjoy this "familiar" taste, although I do not consider it appropriate for such strong and "manipulative" flavors to be put on true exceptional cuts of beef.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont marinate except flank / skirt steak.

Other cuts get salt and pepper before cooking and a bit of butter while resting.

K

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Eck. Why in god's name would you ruin a steak with sherry vinegar and soy sayce?
The really good steaks get only salt, fresh ground pepper and a tiny bit of olive oil. For flanks, the sherry vinegar helps to marinate the meat, the soy adds salty flavour and is interesting when it caramelizes on the grill. Finely chopped onions also add flavour. I sometimes poke tons of holes with a skewer into the meat. Helps the marinade get inside. An alternate is to use yogurt, not the typical store kind. But like the Russian/Turkish or Indian (Dahi), which are tarter and have more bacteria. I add shallots, chopped serranos, roasted cumin(tiny bit), almond oil and crushed cardamon seeds. This works well for flank steaks. This is a very fragrant steak. A pesto of fresh coriander and almonds is good accompaniment.

lithium180

Reaction score
dry rub. 40% uniodized sea salt 60% finely ground espresso beans

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stubbs is the best store bought marinade I've used. Their chicken and pork versions are great as well.

JohnRov

Reaction score
I'll glaze a flank steak after I turn it once. Acidic marinades just break down the tissue on the surface of the steak, not actually tenderizing it but making it a bit mushy. Salt and olive oil are all I use most of the time. Garlic burns when you grill it, making it bitter and anything with brown sugar is going to burn as well.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
honey, sherry vinegar, black pepper, salt, olive oil, oregano

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads