• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vietnamese Cuisine.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
meh....after five years...it gets boring
smile.gif

just back from Hanoi - generally I dont like northern Vietnamese food (take southern, remove taste) - although I did have some really good bun cha yesterday.

bun cha is the best in the north. the southern stuff, i could eat the rest of my life, actually have been. i'm assuming you have been to pho pasteur? that was my fav place in saigon

the only thing i have grown out of is the coffee. the condensed milk is much too sweet for my liking now

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Hue food is gooooooood.

there is one dish particular to hoi an I found really tasty. don't recall the name now, will dig through that

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Vietnamese food is excellent.

Unfortunately most the items you find in restaurants, Vietnamese people don't actually eat on a regular basis, except for pho perhaps.

Well, most people usually don't eat family-style when they go to Vietnamese restaurants. You can definitely have an authentic Vietnamese meal if you know what to order. If not, just leave it to a knowledgeable waiter for recommendations. At least, it should have a meat or fish dish, a vegetable dish, and a soup.

Pho can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any time in between. If a restaurant is particularly known for its broth, people will even order that and use it as a soup for their dinner meal.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i'm assuming you have been to pho pasteur? that was my fav place in saigon

You mean Pho Hoa on Pasteur Street? Yah, Ive been there, it kind of went downhill. Personally I think the best place in town is Pho Phu Vuong on Le Van Sy Street in Phu Nhuan. It is on the way out toward the airport, so if you come through again, give it a try.

there is one dish particular to hoi an I found really tasty. don't recall the name now, will dig through that

Despite being in the same neck of the woods, Hoi An/Danang food is really different to Hue food, but at a guess I would say you either had Cao Lau or My Quang

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aside from beef pho, I also like the chicken pho.

I don't care for the sprouts, mint leaves and sauces some people add, however.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy Vietnamese food, but good Vietnamese restaurants are hard to find in my neck of the woods. I have to drive to Chinatown or drive to "Little Saigon" in Orange County to get good/decent Vietnamese food. When I'm in Honolulu, there are several that I go to and are excellent.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I eat pho all the time in the fall and winter time in Houston. It's too hot for me to eat in the spring and summer in Houston.

Pho places open and close all the time here in Houston since it's so competitive with a boat load of pho places here (probably over 150 stores at least).

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are some good Vietnamese restaurants around San Jose? I know of the King/MacLaughlin, King/Tully areas, but don't really have the time to go sample all of the places.

I'm looking for some good bun bo hue, com tom (crushed rice dish with pork chop and egg meatloaf?), REAL banh mi thit (not Lee's, though sometimes it is really good), and bun cha. Thanks!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Well, most people usually don't eat family-style when they go to Vietnamese restaurants. You can definitely have an authentic Vietnamese meal if you know what to order. If not, just leave it to a knowledgeable waiter for recommendations. At least, it should have a meat or fish dish, a vegetable dish, and a soup.

Pho can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any time in between. If a restaurant is particularly known for its broth, people will even order that and use it as a soup for their dinner meal.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm Vietnamese and most meals were plain and consisted of rice, lean meat, and vegetables in some way. It's nothing like the exotic well prepared cuisines that constantly consist of tropical greens in every bite, grilled meats and such. I speaking out of bitterness, though.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
What are some good Vietnamese restaurants around San Jose? I know of the King/MacLaughlin, King/Tully areas, but don't really have the time to go sample all of the places.

I'm looking for some good bun bo hue, com tom (crushed rice dish with pork chop and egg meatloaf?), REAL banh mi thit (not Lee's, though sometimes it is really good), and bun cha. Thanks!

isn't san jose chock full of viets

Originally Posted by Lel
Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm Vietnamese and most meals were plain and consisted of rice, lean meat, and vegetables in some way. It's nothing like the exotic well prepared cuisines that constantly consist of tropical greens in every bite, grilled meats and such. I speaking out of bitterness, though.

yeah, and a lot of fish too

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mom makes amazing pho, the best part is, we're not actually Vietnamese.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel

It varies a bit depending on income level, lifestyle, and geographic location. But generally, I'd agree with this.

yeah, and a lot of fish too

We eat fish all the time.
bounce2.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many Vietnamese places also sell imported French goods and victuals such as assorted baked goods, cookies and items as diverse as Instant Potato Au Gratin, French Onion Soup and condensed milk.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cafe Sua Da aka Vietnamese coffee is utterly sublime and I wonder if it's a solely Vietnamese thing or if I can get it in places outside of Vietnamese restaurants, perhaps french cafes?

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
You mean Pho Hoa on Pasteur Street? Yah, Ive been there, it kind of went downhill. Personally I think the best place in town is Pho Phu Vuong on Le Van Sy Street in Phu Nhuan. It is on the way out toward the airport, so if you come through again, give it a try.

Despite being in the same neck of the woods, Hoi An/Danang food is really different to Hue food, but at a guess I would say you either had Cao Lau or My Quang

Isn't there a Pho Hoa and a Pho Pasteur right next to each other on Pasteur Street in HCMC? I remember passing by them just a few months ago and thought it was funny because the two big pho chains in Boston are Pho Hoa and Pho Pasteur. Also HCMC has a Pho 2000, which we also have in Boston.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads