• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bag stuff

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry a Monocle x Porter black canvas tote bag on a daily basis...

Just got one of the new BR leather totes as well.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HermesGuy
If you live/work in the city you need several things. Phone/wallet/agenda/keys/phone/writing instrument/eyeglasses/sunglasses/paper/business cards

True, but that still does not seem like enough stuff to come close to filling a tote bag.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Logoed messenger bags scream "gay" to me. Especially egregious would be something like a D&G messenger bag with a huge D&G on it.

Some Prada ones can be acceptable, but they also seem to be very much a "gay" thing. Perhaps, Prada is stealth gay; Larry Craig probably had a Prada nylon bag.

I hope you are not referring to those cheap, chintzy nylon jobs that I keep seeing at Saks. A plastic shopping bag from Publix would be a better option IMO

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
I hope you are not referring to those cheap, chintzy nylon jobs that I keep seeing at Saks. A plastic shopping bag from Publix would be a better option IMO
Do you mean Prada or D&G? As for Prada, they put out a lot of crap, but their top-end bags are still quite nice. As well, not all of the "Nylon" bags are created equal... they numerous levels even within the black nylon series... some are crap, some are very nice. As well, they are priced accordingly... an entry-level black nylon duffle might run $695 or so, compared to $1100-1300 for one of the top end ones (these usually won't be sold at Saks... but at the Prada stores). They'll look rather similar, but everything from the nylon to the leather to the zippers will be different/better. "God is in the details," as Mies said. As for D&G... I think Domenico and Stefano have been laughing all the way to the bank with this one for YEARS.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
There are TONS of old, German made, MCM in Japanese recycle shops at very cheap prices. The stuff is hideous, but as you mentioned, in a kitchy way. I almost picked up one of their old coated canvas wallets in that tacky ochre-yellow-mud color and black MCM logo with terracotta lining and a big gold plaque on the inside. I passed, just because I never would have used it... but it was hilarious...
Are recycle shops like consignment shops? Anyways, I think the MCM stuff is considered quite passe. Of course, Vuitton was considered dated at one point, but look at it now. MCM is so dated, it should be in now. Totally and uninhibitedly hip. Apparently, there is an appreciation for the brand in the hip-hop community as it's old school: http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/200...mcm-briefcase/ http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/200...08-collection/
tisa-mcm-suitcase-1.jpg

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HermesGuy
I'm bumping this thread to continue discussion on what I see as a trend that is only going to continue to get bigger and bigger:
Bags (totes, messenger, etc) for men. (I'm not referring to briefcases)

I am not a fan of shoulder/messenger bags, for several reasons. If you carry a shoulder bag and are wearing a suit or sportcoat, the bag pulls the jacket down, off the shoulder and makes for a sloppy look. If you are wearing a sweater, it will enventually cause that area on the shoulder and across the arm to pill.
I do however love a tote, or book bag. I prefer one with a shoulder stap so that if you are in need of both hands suddenly, you can throw the bag on your shoulder, momentarily.
Attached is my favorite bag (I have several other bags but this one is perfect). This bag is hand made using saddle stitching, matte crocodile, lined in reindeer. Inside are several pockets. The trim is box-calf leather...and the handle is one continuous piece of leather. It's light and incredibly utilitarian.
What are your opinions and thoughts on this trend?

- nice.. I want one! Please PM me about where etc.

Originally Posted by Sartorian
My many female friends here in the city have been asking me about the stylish men wearing tote bags out and about. I dress up on a consistent basis, but I'd not use a tote bag unless it was cloth and for groceries. I think this is a trend that will remain only with gay men. None of my female friends think it's something a straight man should be carrying around. It seems a fairly strong and visible signifier of your demographic, akin to wearing women's jeans. (No, I'm not homophobic, but I'd prefer women aren't confused about my sexual orientation.)
- Pah! I'm straight & no GAY man has ever confused me for being on their team.. Th only men & women that I don't associate with have given me that "look"..
- FWIW I use a Filson one & am looking at another one (one like the above would be ideal)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are TONS of old, German made, MCM in Japanese recycle shops at very cheap prices. The stuff is hideous, but as you mentioned, in a kitchy way. I almost picked up one of their old coated canvas wallets in that tacky ochre-yellow-mud color and black MCM logo with terracotta lining and a big gold plaque on the inside.

I passed, just because I never would have used it... but it was hilarious...

I'm also reminded of Fendi, which hasn't seen the kind of appreciation that Gucci or Vuitton has seen. They have that Zucca logo and that striped canvas.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
True, but that still does not seem like enough stuff to come close to filling a tote bag.

Mine currently has a lot of other odds and ends in it. I didn't realize that it was a requirement that the bag must be filled at all times. LOL

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What you posted, LK, is EXACTLY the sort of stuff you can get at the Recycle Shops. They're basically like used clothes/bag shops, only Japanese styled, which means instead of twenty year old LL Bean shirts with broken buttons, you get LV, Fendi, McM, and all sorts of nifty stuff you didn't know existed (I've found neat old Thierry Mugler items, for example). They're really great...

Aspiringtobe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Which Brigg briefcase did you buy? Which color? Which style?

I have owned a leather brief bag made by Atlas of Boston for 13 years now, and it is still going strong, after much abuse.

The 18 inch "Churchill" model in dark brown:

http://www.classicluggage.com/BRIEFCA....01.html

The leather just looks better and better with age, although I've had to replace the handles once, and get some of the stitching resewn.

If my trusty Atlas ever wears out, I would consider a briefbag by Brigg. They look similarly sturdy.

Kai

+1 on this bag. I love it and I get a ton of compliments on it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What you posted, LK, is EXACTLY the sort of stuff you can get at the Recycle Shops. They're basically like used clothes/bag shops, only Japanese styled, which means instead of twenty year old LL Bean shirts with broken buttons, you get LV, Fendi, McM, and all sorts of nifty stuff you didn't know existed (I've found neat old Thierry Mugler items, for example). They're really great...
I expect it's the sort of place that fashion editors get their next big influence from--forgotten designers from MCM to Azzaro are all sitting in those shops, unloved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads