• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am thinking of having a shirt made

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I decided to make this thread because I don't really feel it would get any attention on the other side of the forum, and most of my questions tend to get overlooked in the small questions thread.

if doing so was a bad idea, flame away...

Alright.

so I was in my local salvation armani a month or so back and saw an older Wrangler chambray.
It was red, and I had to have it. Atleast for the split second I was holding it in my hands lusting over it before I saw it was a 16 3/4 by some other number that is too big for me.

I searched and searched, and wrangler doesn't make anything even remotely similar.

I've ebayed like crazy, I've called just about every western wear store in a 200 mile radius... nothing.

And because I would be wearing this shirt for work at Target, the amazing Flathead shirt kiya has seems impractical.

I feel like buying some fabric like this :

AFAB111_bg.jpg

and taking it to a reputable tailor/ shirt maker is the best option.

Is it the best option?

What should I expect to pay to have a tailor make a western cut chambray shirt for me? With fabric, tailoring costs, etc would it be more cost effective to just buy the FH from kiya?

Would a tailor, shirt maker even do this; or should I just scour the patterns and break out my fiances singer?

It is very rare i find a piece that I want, that I still want 3 months later. Any help, advice would be appreciated.

Rock

Reaction score
I like the idea of a red chambray for target. I doubt you'd be able to get a shirt mtm for much less than $80 anywhere (I guess Jantzen could be an exception), and I have no idea whether most tailors would/could actually make you a western shirt from scratch. If they did, I guarantee it wouldn't be their bread and butter operation, it might even be their first time making such a shirt. That means there is little chance that the quality/detailing would be as good as the Flathead shirt. Plus, I assume fabric costs alone will be at least in the $30 range, nice fabric ain't cheap. In my massively unscientific estimation, at a minimum you'd be looking at a $110 shirt. That's pretty speculative, but I think that seems about right.

I actually bought this exact Flathead LS chambray size 40 in red on B&S for $120. I probably got a little lucky, but if budget is a concern, I suggest looking there if you aren't desperate for a shirt by tomorrow. Or give Kiya a call. I've gotten plenty of compliments on my shirt, and I think the detailing, color, cut, exclusivity, etc warrant the price.

Be aware however, the shirt is very slim, and, in my estimation, has short arms and body. I could see that being annoying if you lift a lot of stuff. Might want to size up one.

Honestly, your best option might have been just buying the damn Wrangler and having that tailored. If it was reasonable in the shoulders, a tailor could fix just about everything else for pretty cheap.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
bump.

more than one opinion would be greatly appreciated

k thx bai

robbie

Lawl.

Reaction score
I liked Rock's wrangler idea. 1. Buy cheap wrangler 2. Bring to tailor for them to base your shirt off of 3. Make adjustments 4. Give them fabric 5. 6. Well fitting shirt in the fabric you wanted!
biggrin.gif

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Salvation Armani= Salvation Army

the shirt which was probably made in the mid to late 60's was not only stained, but has long since been gone.

XeF4

Reaction score
It would be at least $100 to have the shirt made, and even then you don't know what you are going to get. Getting that shirt made is not a good idea. Just bite the bullet and buy the Flathead if you want that kind of shirt so badly.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get the Flathead shirt. Getting a bespoke shirt is probably going to be very expensive, unless you're feeling creative and want a DIY project. A good tailor will most likely charge you $200+ to make a shirt from scratch.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
A good tailor will most likely charge you $200+ to make a shirt from scratch.

Not in Omaha. Else he would already be out of business.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
My brain tells me I might use bleach and/or RIT color remover and Red Rit Dye.

26$- Wrangler Chambray
3$- color remover
3$- red dye

Even if it sucks, I've saved myself lots of money. Plus, if some kid spilled an ICee on my $$$ Flathead Chambray, i'd probably say or do something that would cost me my job.

robbie

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't use rit...

use procion mx.. colour is super rich and vibrant.

google it.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I don't know the proper term, but those aren't chambray... they are more twill, like a sport shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics