• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Dumbell Workout

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
My scheduled over the summer was pretty tight. I looked up a few quick dumbell workouts so I could get in and out in 30 minutes or less. It was a big shift from the usual 4 day split but I must say it was a nice change.

This is a workout I grabbed from Mens Health.

Dumbell Workout

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
decent workout but learn the exercises another way than those pictures, which don't do it well. I think single arm snatches are better than dumbell cleans, since the idea of doing a clean with heavy dumbells seams unstable and awkward at best.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any workout that contains tricep kickbacks I can not take seriously.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

b., what's your beef with kickbacks?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321

I'm not a fan either. Seems like a lightweight exercise. Do dips or french curls or something a little heavier.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I'm not a fan either. Seems like a lightweight exercise. Do dips or french curls or something a little heavier.

i do dips and prefer skull-crushers over french presses, but i like to superset pull-downs with kickbacks, it gives ya such a nice burn.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
+1. How about this one? Mon - squats/shoulder press (20mins & 10mins) Wed - bench press/dips (20 & 10) Fri - dead lifts/chin ups (20 & 10) Always take the stairs.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a student and living in small apartments, I trained with dumbbells exclusively for many years because of space considerations. Biggest hassle with an all-dumbbell workout as I see it is the frequent need to change poundages, and you have to make sure the collars are on very tight or the consequences may be disastrous!

Just a few thoughts:

Power cleans with heavy dumbbells are a perfectly good exercise.

For lower back work, I liked overhead swings, starting with a pair of reasonably heavy dumbbells between your legs.

I always thought one handed rows with a very heavy dumbbell were a better exercise than bent-over rows with a barbell--less chance of hurting your lower back.

Training alone, I always shunned conventional bench presses for safety reasons but favored incline work with heavy dumbbells. It is supposed to develop the upper pectoral more, which is more shapely and masculine looking anyway.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
+1.

How about this one?
Mon - squats/shoulder press (20mins & 10mins)
Wed - bench press/dips (20 & 10)
Fri - dead lifts/chin ups (20 & 10)

Always take the stairs.

That's a helluva workout right there. Good stuff.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321

Because they're a simple way to pretend to lift with minimal actual benefits. There are so many other tricep exercises that you should spend your time on. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to isolate your triceps in thirty different ways to get them to grow. Choose a few real lifts like dips, skullcrushers, close grip bench press, etc., go heavy and leave the girl exercises to the females.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
... leave the girl exercises to the females.

Speaking of which, doesn't the French press have another meaning?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Speaking of which, doesn't the French press have another meaning?
If you mean for lifting, the french press is the same thing as the skullcrusher. It's also a device used for brewing coffee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads