• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

your best kickass chili recipe

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
just cooking a chilli and wanted to know everyones best recipe

I normally cook it in two pans, one for meet (pork and beef mince) onions, tomatoes etc.. and the other for the onion,celery, carrot base with beef stock and beer.

apart from cummin and coriander does anyone have any other secrets to the best chilli.

andyw

Reaction score
Instead of chili powder from the bottle found on the supermarket shelves, I use ground New Mexican chile peppers which is found in specialty markets or the gourmet aisle of larger supermarkets. It has almost the same granularity as the bottled powder but is much more flavorful. I also brown the ground chile pepepers in the pan with the other spices to release more flavor.

My chili tastes best with a really really cold beer....like a Dos Equis.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Throw a dash of dark chocolate or chocolate powder in your chili. It gives it a subtle... something. something goooooood

I serve with a bit of cheddar cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream

Or with a hot dog below

K

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is VERY relevant to my interests.
Where are the recipes?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fulcannelli
just cooking a chilli and wanted to know everyones best recipe

I normally cook it in two pans, one for meet (pork and beef mince) onions, tomatoes etc.. and the other for the onion,celery, carrot base with beef stock and beer.

apart from cummin and coriander does anyone have any other secrets to the best chilli.

You can spell coriander but not meat?
eh.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly, ground chiles are not chili powder. Notice the difference in spelling. Without the cumin and paprika it doesn't taste right.

Secondly, ground spices don't really brown, they burn.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I read an article a few years back that recomends adding a sardine to the mix. sort of adds a subtle salty meaty flavor. Can't say I've tried it but sounds interesting... food for thought.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get an assortment of dried peppers (anchos, anaheims, pequin, etc), brown them in a skillet over medium heat, soak them, remove stems and some of the seeds, puree them with some of the soaking water, use that as your flavor base. Use chipotles sparingly, or not at all, they overwhelm the flavor of the other chiles. Use Mexican oregano, its not the same as regular oregano. If you use tomatoes, buy Rotel brand. If you use canned beans, use the jalapeno Ranch Style brand beans, but drain and rinse them as their sauce will dominate the flavor of your chili, add them just long enough before serving to heat them up. Agree with comment above, add a small amount of unsweetened cocoa powder about an hour before the chili is finished, you can also use brown sugar in a pinch. Add about a tbsp of fresh lime juice 1/2 hour before serving, it cuts any greasiness and brightens the flavor of the chiles you used. Top with raw red onions and sharp cheddar cheese, to eat it the old school Texas way, serve it with saltines, not tortilla chips.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I read an article a few years back that recomends adding a sardine to the mix. sort of adds a subtle salty meaty flavor. Can't say I've tried it but sounds interesting... food for thought.

Chili is pretty full of umami to to begin with, but a sardine, or probably better an anchovy, couldn't hurt.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saint
Chili is pretty full of umami to to begin with, but a sardine, or probably better an anchovy, couldn't hurt.

Yeah, my bad. I meant Anchovy

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
You can spell coriander but not meat?
eh.gif

LOL, sorry I dont cook without drinking and so my undying reverence to the english language is the first to go, I do wake up sobbing, haunted by the dispicable spelling mistakes I have made in my past if this is any concelation and quells your hatred.

I can only ask your forgiveness, pray for me as I can never forgive myself for this outrage.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL, sorry I dont cook without drinking and so my undying reverence to the english language is the first to go, I do wake up sobbing, haunted by the dispicable spelling mistakes I have made in my past if this is any concelation and quells your hatred.

I can only ask your forgiveness, pray for me as I can never forgive myself for this outrage.

laugh.gif

OK, I will pray as requested, naughty naughty rascal..

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you meant "consolation" and "despicable". Cut back on the cooking. It will be ok.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided I'd make some chile con carne today.

I don't really have a formal recipe, but here are the basics:

beef stew meat
chipotle chiles
ancho chiles
green bell pepper
onion
can of crushed tomatoes
cumin
allspice
chicken bouillon cube
lime juice

So far so good. The chiles are giving it a nice smoky flavor. I'll serve it over rice, add some cheese on top, and have a slice of avocado with it.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sounds great.

I haven't made chili in months but really like this step mentioned by a previous poster:
Originally Posted by saint
Get an assortment of dried peppers (anchos, anaheims, pequin, etc), brown them in a skillet over medium heat, soak them, remove stems and some of the seeds, puree them with some of the soaking water, use that as your flavor base.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads