• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
Hello,

I am looking for a pair of jeans with a similar cut to the Levi's 507's. Meaning, I'm looking for a cut that is slim through the thighs, low rise, slight flare to a bootcut. It's surprisingly hard to find this type of cut, especially in raw. I'm not very happy with some of the lower quality denim that Levi's uses and it's just not very high quality, imo.

I'm looking for any jeans that have the 507-type cut. Not necessarily raw denim, but anything really. I've tried a whole ton of different brands and I can't ever seem to really get the fit that I'm looking for. The next pair that I want to try is the Earnest Sewn Hutch. Anyone know how this compares to the 507?

Suggestions on other brands that carry a similar jean?

Also, any suggestions on where I can get denim patches? Preferably some higher end denim.

Nudie Bootcut Olas.

Nudie also does provide a denim repair kit to its customer upon request.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
(cough) custom (cough)

Post-wash 38"+? Nice.

Ande Whall, perhaps?

rice rocket

Reaction score
Here's a question for all of you.

I've made a spreadsheet of how all my jeans measure up so I can pick my "ideal jean" when the time comes. I've come across a weird issue though.

I have a Nudie Bootcut Ola that measure 9.75" in the upper thigh (BiG measurements), and a Rag & Bone RB15 that measures the same 9.75". However, they fit totally differently. The RB15 is much more of a flattering cut and follows the shape of ****** nicely all the way down to the knee. However, the Nudies have a whole backpocket full of air to the point where it looks like I'm sagging but I'm not. The thigh area remains tight on my thunderthighs on both jeans. Knee measurements differ (Nudies are 8.25", RB15's are 7.75"), but this should affect the lower thigh tightness, not the ass, right?

One possible variance I found is measuring the jean staight across the crotch area, and the Nudies are 20" across while the RB15's are only 19.25".

Any ideas?

rice rocket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Nudie Bootcut Olas. Nudie also does provide a denim repair kit to its customer upon request.
DocHunter, it's your lucky day.
smile.gif
I own two pairs of ES Hutch and a pair of Bootcut Olas. They're cut pretty differently. The top box is pretty similar, low rise, tight in the thighs...but the Hutchs flare pretty heavily from the knee down, while the Bootcut Olas flare less. Both of mine have a 30.5" inseam. But leg opening and knee measurement on the Hutch is 9" and 8", and it's 8.5" and 7.5" on the Nudies, respectively. Problem I have with both jeans (as I mentioned in my post above) is the ass is really baggy, to the point where it looks like I'm sagging but I'm not. Maybe I need to do more squats and deadlifts...

rice rocket

Reaction score
Difference in front rise, back yoke, pocket placement, pocket size...
Ah...that makes sense.
worship.gif
Too bad the back yoke isn't a standardly listed measurement.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Nudie Bootcut Olas.

Nudie also does provide a denim repair kit to its customer upon request.

Any idea what the leg opening measurement on the Olas is? Can't seem to find that measurement anywhere.

What about washed denim? You know any pre-washed stuff that is cut similarly?

And I checked the nudie website, but how do I contact them to request a repair kit with a patch?

Any help is supremely appreciated.

rice rocket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
Any idea what the leg opening measurement on the Olas is? Can't seem to find that measurement anywhere. What about washed denim? You know any pre-washed stuff that is cut similarly? And I checked the nudie website, but how do I contact them to request a repair kit with a patch? Any help is supremely appreciated.
lol, seriously? Did you not read my post, where I took the effort to give you exact measurements of everything you were asking for?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need help looking for a pair of jeans in size 35 with some percentage of elastane/spandex in it.

Any brands that might have them? Most brands in size 34 is a little tight for me but size 36 is too loose.

bure

Reaction score
hey, i'm looking for a quality pair of jeans that i can sag and wear low. to do this, do they need a low rise?

i'm 5'8'' 160lbs, true waist 32'', hip is ~35''... so am i looking for something that will stretch to 33.5-34''?

i currently have size 28 apc ns and they've stretched to 33" in the waist, but they can't be sagged down and they are tight in the crotch and thigh...

i've been looking at the sugar cane sexsc02 cut or the flathead se05bsp/f310. can these be worn the way i want?

also, any other suggestions? thanks!
eh.gif

photofabix

Reaction score
I just got my first pair of slim fitting jeans Levis 514 Color oil slick (99% cotton 1% Lycra), since I'm inbetween a 34 and 36 waist I purchased a 36 on ebay (no one local sells them here)

Now to the question, they seem to fit everywhere but the waist has already stretched out quit a bit, so I need to find a belt. Should I look into getting a 34 or would they look to tight all over if I down size? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by photofabix
I just got my first pair of slim fitting jeans Levis 514 Color oil slick (99% cotton 1% Lycra), since I'm inbetween a 34 and 36 waist I purchased a 36 on ebay (no one local sells them here)

Now to the question, they seem to fit everywhere but the waist has already stretched out quit a bit, so I need to find a belt. Should I look into getting a 34 or would they look to tight all over if I down size? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Hard to tell from the pic but those look overall too loose for that cut. Then again I'm not sure a 514 is really your cut if you have a ~35" waist.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(cough) custom (cough) Post-wash 38"+? Nice.
Ande Whall, perhaps?
Guess it would depend on the rise, too.
Custom? Seriously? I just want to be able to cuff them 2" and still have them rideable. I guess I'll check out Ande's stuff.
frown.gif
Edit: okay, I measured my Uniqlos and they are 36.5" inseam post wash. So I guess that is long enough. Any options now? Always been tempted by the Guitar Wolf Jet Jeans, although they are a little $$$. Edit edit: All dimensions of the Uniqlo selvedges I'm talking about: Size 32 Waist 34" Inseam 36.5" Front rise 11.75" Rear rise 16.75" Thigh (not sure where this is measured usually) 12" @ about 2" down from the crotch, 13" at crotch Knee 9.5" Leg opening 9" I'd be happy with something a little slimmer and with a little lower rise than these, but not by a lot. They need to have room for airflow and movement, and I might consider having Kevlar/cordura/leather and/or armor sewn inside, so the leg needs to be reasonably full. Anything similar to this? I'll go thru SE's specs and see if anything seems close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads