• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post workout meal

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys eat directly after a work out?

I usually cook up a four egg omelet with peppers and cheese, but I'm thinking about switching to a banana, peanut butter, protein smoothie.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My famous smoothie (patent pending) (not really):

Few scoops of Yogurt
few scoops of cottage cheese
Almonds
Little honey
Banana
milk
water

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the last two weeks I've been drinking whey + water + dextrose* and some dates on the side.

The majority says that your muscles immediately need glucose to recover and the glucose will carry protein with it, so drink sugars with at least a 3:1 ratio of glucose to fructose and don't eat anything that will slow digestion (milk, fat, etc). There is a vocal minority that says that all that matters is eating a high-carb, high-protein meal within 3 hours of lifting and you shouldn't worry about exactly what form that takes.

* Corn syrup because I haven't gotten around to picking up powder yet.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
greek yogurt
metabolic drive lo-carb
honey
colustrum supplement
creatine
2%milk
frozen rasberries. blend.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll sip a 2:1 carb-protein blend midway through my workout and finish the rest immediately after. I'll follow that up with something that's relatively low in fat, high in protein and includes some sort of fast-digesting carb (i.e. bread).

I agree with the high-carb, high-protein aspect of it. That's the prime time to refuel your muscles, so you should be eating your most calories then (aside from maybe breakfast). That doesn't mean go scarf down a pizza, but it's vital to replenish your body as soon as you can post workout.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scivation Xtend during.
ON 100% whey and a banana after.
Good meal within 3 hours.

smujd

Reaction score
Choc milk
Toast
Scrambled eggs with cheese
Coffee

PrinceAli132

Reaction score
Originally Posted by from another forum that I am on

I read a lot of you dudes asking about all kinds of supplements, prohormones, steroids and whatnot when I'm sure many of you are ignoring the natural chemical factories that are your own bodies. A big key to my success in building lots of muscle without the use of steroids etc. has been paying attention to the biochemical processes of my own body. This manifests itself in my POST-WORKOUT SHAKE.

It's such a simple thing. The shake is really just 2 scoops of whey protein and a boatload of sugar, but when all of that enters the body a lot happens. The real key to this mixture is the sugar. Ideally one uses a 50:50 ratio of dextrose to maltodextrin (however pure dextrose is acceptable). Dextrose is simply another name for glucose. Glucose is the sugar used in the metabolic processes in your body. There are many other kinds of sugars (starches and the like), but these are what are known as oligo/polysaccharrides. An oligo/polysaccharide is made up of individual glucose units linked together. In order for the body to use these sugars enzymes must break these linkages until individual glucose molecules are freed. Consequently, these sugars are not highly bioavailable (and why we don't eat pasta post-workout). In a pinch one can use table sugar (chemical name sucrose). The issue with sucrose is that it is a disaccharide linking a molecule of glucose and a molecule of fructose. It is quickly broken down into glucose and fructose (it's monosaccharide counterparts), making for a high bioavailability, but fructose acts differently than glucose. It's not ideal for building muscle as it acts on liver glycogen and NOT the glycogen contained in your muscle cells. Fructose also is low on the glycemic index, meaning it will not spike your blood sugar (very important to the next part of this post). Glucose on the other hand is the highest thing on the glycemic index and will readily spike your blood sugar.

Now what exactly does spiking your blood sugar have to do with muscle growth? IT TRIGGERS THE RELEASE OF INSULIN! Insulin is really a miracle molecule. It's properties are everything you could want after a workout that has just broken down and depleted your muscles. It acts on the metabolic processes of your cells to: increase glycogen synthesis in the muscles (so you have energy for your next workout), decrease proteinolysis (the catabolic process by which proteins are broken down), increase amino-acid absorption (this is why it is combined with whey protein in the shake as it is a highly bio-available protein source), and relax the arterial walls to increase bloodflow (aiding in the transport of these nutrients to the cells).

The synergy between the sugar and the protein are based around this bloodsugar spike that releases insulin to promote the anabolic processes described above. My typical shake includes 2 scoops of whey protein powder and upwards of 75 grams of sugar (50:50 dextrose:maltodextrin). If you plan on using table sugar you should go for more than 75g as only half of it will be absorbed as glucose. Also, if you're using a supplement like creatine or BCAA's it is ideal to add these to your post-workout shake as they will also be able to reap the benefits of the increased nutrient uptake due to insulin.

I know this is a longish post, but please try to read and understand the whole thing as this is valuable information. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Taken from here

And roughly an hour after working out I'll eat a higher protein meal (I usually work out at night)

PrinceAli132

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84

I usually cook up a four egg omelet with peppers and cheese, but I'm thinking about switching to a banana, peanut butter, protein smoothie.

What time do you work out usually? Are you able to go home to prepare and eat your meal after working out?

Ali

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84

Breakfast which usually involves a bowl of cereal and a couple eggs. But, I never feel as good as I do when I have egg whites on a bagel with cheddar. I have no idea why, but I always feel great after eating this after working out.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
For the last two weeks I've been drinking whey + water + dextrose* and some dates on the side.

The majority says that your muscles immediately need glucose to recover and the glucose will carry protein with it, so drink sugars with at least a 3:1 ratio of glucose to fructose and don't eat anything that will slow digestion (milk, fat, etc). There is a vocal minority that says that all that matters is eating a high-carb, high-protein meal within 3 hours of lifting and you shouldn't worry about exactly what form that takes.

* Corn syrup because I haven't gotten around to picking up powder yet.

Corn syrup won't replenish your glucose effectively. And most people don't deplete enoughy glucose in a workout to require huge replenishment PWO. What ou cite above is pretty outdated (with all respect)- the fat/milk slowing digestion really isn't the issue people made it out to be either.

You certainly should get carbs (starchcomplex) within about 90 minutes if you're being critical but for average joes, just eating right will be enough.

When bulking I use waxy maize and a protein blend PWO. When cutting or maintaing I usually mix protein with oatmeal.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
When cutting or maintaing I usually mix protein with oatmeal.

Replacing fast carbs with slow carbs PWO has really done a tremendous amount for the efficacy of my cutting phases. And I can't see any muscle-loss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads