• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellow (?urine/groin sweat) stains on trousers???

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
I used to thrift store shop quite often and for this exact reason the thrift store affectionatly became known as the "PISS BIN". Yes always check the crotch if buying a suit or pair of pants in a thrift store there are some prostate problems out there and nothing seems to soak up the piss like a good quality pair of wool trousers. As far as dry cleainign IDK i would just get rid of them.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
I was thrifting the other day and was checking out a suit when I noticed that the white cloth "groin area" and to a lesser extent, the pockets, were stained a yellowish colour which I presume to be urine. Firstly, for those of you who buy thrifted suits, do you take this into account when considering whether or not to buy a suit (all things equal) and if you do buy suits with trousers stained as described, how do you deal with this (as the word on the street is that you should only dry clean at most once a year)? Secondly, for everyone who has ever had trousers altered, do you dry clean your trousers (if not brand new) before taking them to the tailor or do you expect your tailor to work with possibly urine stained trousers?
confused.gif

More likely it's just old sweat stains. You'll find the same stains in the armpits of old jackets as well and I don't think anyone pees out of their arms.

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
I can tell you i have passed on an Armani suit in this condition, but its all on you you can probably get dry cleaned but that stain isnt coming out. Ive tried to get them out through dry cleaning that stain has been in that suit for years.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Hmm, would you pass up on a cheap thrifted Oxxford/Kiton/Brioni etc suit that was otherwise perfect except that for the fact that the trousers were heavily stained with urine/groin sweat?

I don't thrift myself, but if I did, I would have to answer in the strong affirmative.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Generally it's best just to let them go. I found a fantastic pair of large herringbone trousers from Cable Car Clothiers the other day that I discovered were so decorated. Although it pained me, I let them go. I think one could have the crotch guard replaced, but the only time I asked a tailor about it he seemed reluctant to do it.

From a purely rational standpoint, simply having them dry cleaned should neutralize any possible issues, but it won't get out the stain.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
No it is not normal. Like i said i think alot of it comes from old men and prostate problems not being able to get the last shake in.

Interesting.

I hate to say it, but biomedicine is not helping, either, since the volume of urine from old men is forecasted to increase.

flomax.4mg.jpg

That, plus all that bottled water being sold...the mind reals.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics