• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need New trousers, Opinions

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Can I get an opinion on these three pairs of trousers? I'm planning on using them for nights out with some nice shirts, and they just dropped in price.

Brown Striped:
05D03TBRN_large.jpg

Black Pinstriped:
05D01TBLK_large.jpg

And Black Checked:
05F04TBLK_large.jpg

Cheers.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
I think I'll definately get the browns, but I'm not so sure about the black pins/checks.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
idk the low pockets look really girly to me

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i'm not really feeling any of those trousers...they look like something from the racks of a mall store.

+1 on what Chrono said.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look like mall pants becuase they are mall pants (or at least the British equivalent). They are from Burton, which is owned by Arcadia Group--the same folks who own Topman and Topshop.

I'm guessing "smart trouser" translates into "dress" or "suit" pant in US English?

Given the terrible, disembodied photos, they all look as though they were modeled by invisible women. The weird pocket designs and flares don't help them look any more masculine. They are all made of icky synthetic blends--polyester + viscose.

I would vote no on all three. The only thing they have going for them is that they are fairly cheap (about $40 US). But given the terrible materials, that isn't really a bargain. I would only get them if they somehow look amazing on you (which is doubtful). They certainly aren't something I would pair with "nice" shirts.

Instead of buying two or three ****** paints, I would invest in one quality pair. I'm a poor student as well so I know the allure of buying a bunch of cheap things in place of one nice thing. But it almost never works out well.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I tried on some Topman trousers and while they fit well enough, they were unlined and the workmanship was, overall, pretty bad. I don't remember if the fabric was poly + vicose (aren't they the same thing?) but it sure wasn't 100% wool.

Patrician

Reaction score
I'd pick the black pinstriped and go with a white shirt together with a black waist-length jacket/coat, looks sharp.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
They look like mall pants becuase they are mall pants (or at least the British equivalent). They are from Burton, which is owned by Arcadia Group--the same folks who own Topman and Topshop.

I'm guessing "smart trouser" translates into "dress" or "suit" pant in US English?

Given the terrible, disembodied photos, they all look as though they were modeled by invisible women. The weird pocket designs and flares don't help them look any more masculine. They are all made of icky synthetic blends--polyester + viscose.

I would vote no on all three. The only thing they have going for them is that they are fairly cheap (about $40 US). But given the terrible materials, that isn't really a bargain. I would only get them if they somehow look amazing on you (which is doubtful). They certainly aren't something I would pair with "nice" shirts.

Instead of buying two or three ****** paints, I would invest in one quality pair. I'm a poor student as well so I know the allure of buying a bunch of cheap things in place of one nice thing. But it almost never works out well.

I never understood the point of shopping at places like Marks & Spencer, or even Zara/H&M. The Gap offers much higher quality, well tailored trousers at a lower price than a lot of these high street stores.

Or maybe you can do something like buy a simple Prada shirt & trousers combo and then take them to a MTM place to make multiple replicas of that. I think that is a more reasonable option than go out looking like you just got off work from an entry level position.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
^ I tried on some Topman trousers and while they fit well enough, they were unlined and the workmanship was, overall, pretty bad. I don't remember if the fabric was poly + vicose (aren't they the same thing?) but it sure wasn't 100% wool.

Viscose (often listed as "rayon" on tags) and polyester are distinct materials.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
None of them. What do nice shirts mean? I can't really tell what kind of look you're trying to achieve given your past fits and these pants.

I was going to use them for nights out, and I dress much differently when I go to a bar. Slim fit shirts, leather shoes, and (potentially) trousers.

Originally Posted by mulansauce

It seems these trousers have been murdered overnight by the SF, I better get the white chalk.

I reason I'm buying trousers I guess is to get away from the shirt with jeans look that you see at every bar. Its overdone and looks kinda douchy. I'm not trying to emulate his look, but if you look at Get Smart in the WAYWT, the arrangement of shirt and trousers always looks good.

Are we talking stores like Moss Bros. for this quality pair? Or GAP like FtB suggested.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in the new world and have never visited your island, so I'm not familiar with Moss Bros or any UK exclusive brand. From browsing their site, they seem like a more stylish version of the Men's Warehouse.

GAP is useful for casual basics, but I doubt you will find much in the way of "smart" trousers there.

If you are looking for a good price on a slimmer, quality wool pant I would suggest clicking over to the Men's Clothing Buying and Selling thread. Many Incotex trousers are quite slim and can often be had for under $100 US. I have also gotten some good deals on Yoox during sale season.

Again, I have never encountered a Burton store, nor seen their clothing in person. I'm simply basing my opinion off what I take to be similar US brands. But if you have tried them on, are satisfied with the cut and quality, and don't have high expectations for their longevity then I wouldn't cross them off the list. Just be aware that you can likely find much better pants for only a bit more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads