• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
-I'm thinking of doing the topmost button at neck, and the cuff buttons in a smoky grey MoP while the rest of the buttons down the front placket would be clear MoP, just for a slight visual interest

yea? nay?

i think all smoky grey MoP buttons on a white shirt would look awesome IMO...

highball

Reaction score
Yes it's going to be made, I just need to figure out what type of white fabric, and get my first samples to see what needs to be tweaked.

Here's a vote for pinpoint. Or something like oxford cloth/twill, but I don't think you mentioned those as options

-I'm thinking of doing the topmost button at neck, and the cuff buttons in a smoky grey MoP while the rest of the buttons down the front placket would be clear MoP, just for a slight visual interest

yea? nay?

I like the idea but I don't think I would actually wear it. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. so....nay.

all clear, or all smoky gray would both be cool though. btw, I think the shirts are a great idea.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The shirts arent going to be oxfords since the overall style isnt suited for it. I'm probably going to go with the pinpoint, since that kind of fabric is dressier than oxford but not as polished as poplin. Shirt wont be buttondowns, not these at least. They will be small collar'd (regular spread) simple minimalist white dress shirt, something that will fit appropriately with most of my suits.

I have a white dress shirt with grey MoP for all the buttons, it's cool for sure. I will probably end up going with all buttons the same, the more I think of it. Tho my samples will have the off color buttons I mentioned.

bohemianmidnight

Reaction score
Woo, small collars are exactly what I want. I think grey buttons on the cuffs and top button could be a great subtle addition... can't wait to see it.

korce

Reaction score
Finally got around to taking some pics of my suit...it's a charcoal flannel 2B, peak lapel house cut, with jacket lengthened by 1" from house cut. I'm pretty satisfied with the fit, but am definitely interested to hear feedback from Jason and others. My main beef is that the pants seem too snug in the thigh and butt (as you can see in the pics without the jacket on), which seems to be causing the rear part of the pant opening to move backward. The hems look almost "flared" in the "profile" pics as a result...there's definitely something funky going on. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated. (Or any other suggestions for alterations/how to improve the fit). Thanks!

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got an email saying my suit has shipped.

15 days after i placed the order
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Korce, the seat can be let out a bit, about 3/8-5" on each side of the seam should be just right for you (same for thigh if you need it). hard to tell since it's dark pic, but the trouser look like another 1" lower on the hem might give you the just right "no break" point, right now it looks a smidgen short

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Would appreciate any critiques of mine as well. 2-button conservative cut, charcoal pinstripe. Intended to have 1" break (probably did too much -- my fault, not Jason!). I have a 10" drop so that explains the extreme taper. Wearing with AE Drydens and a bespoke shirt from Ernesto's in Philadelphia. Ok I can't figure out how to upload the pics like korce did ... I hate clogging up threads with huge pics. Front and rear
TaTSuitfrontredactedLarge.jpg
TaTSuitrearredactedLarge.jpg
Left and right
TaTSuitleftredactedLarge.jpg
TaTSuitrightredactedLarge.jpg
Remainder of pics, including some w/o jacket so slacks are more visible, are here in this Photobucket album. Any help/comments are greatly appreciated! Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and once I get the overall design tweaked, I'm gonna order more ... got a wedding to attend in Tokyo in a few months and the TaT suits would be perfect for that.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Would appreciate any critiques of mine as well.

2-button conservative cut, charcoal pinstripe. Intended to have 1" break (probably did too much -- my fault, not Jason!). I have a 10" drop so that explains the extreme taper. Wearing with AE Drydens and a bespoke shirt from Ernesto's in Philadelphia.

Ace, I think you need to get the suit pressed first. But from the pictures it looks like the sleeves could be shortened. You also need a slimmer tie to match the lapels.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...wore my (2nd TaT, medium grey) suit this past weekend, and it was enough to convince that a third is in order.

I almost want to be a full time academic solely so I can suit it up for work everyday.

I'm pretty sure I'm going tweed this time. Jason, expect an email soon, I only need to adjust one measurement this time around.

gamblor

Reaction score
I suspect some of the issues people have with the pants is due to the very low rear rise. Typical modern low (not extreme) pants have something like 10" front and 14.5-15" back rise.

My first pair came with about 10" front and 13.5" back, worn at what I think is the right height the rear seam pulls in (unsightly) and the back drape is thrown off. My second pair I went to about 15" back rise and these problems disappeared.

Here are pictures of 2 pants from tobi, the low rise ones are 13.5" back the others a still low 14.5", front rise is the same.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Ace, I think you need to get the suit pressed first. But from the pictures it looks like the sleeves could be shortened. You also need a slimmer tie to match the lapels.

Ouch ... the suit actually had come back from the dry cleaner's for cleaning and pressing.
laugh.gif

I agree that the sleeves could use shortening to show a bit more shirt (and also on the tie comment).

highball

Reaction score
Jason, I noticed on the site that the 'standard wool' does not appear to be available in navy. Are there plans to add any standard navy colors?

The only non-flannel navy wool seems to be the 'dark navy' upgraded wool, but this looks to be a bit lighter than what I think of as a typical navy (could be my monitor). Do you have any pictures of this fabric in the flesh?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
Jason, I noticed on the site that the 'standard wool' does not appear to be available in navy. Are there plans to add any standard navy colors?

The only non-flannel navy wool seems to be the 'dark navy' upgraded wool, but this looks to be a bit lighter than what I think of as a typical navy (could be my monitor). Do you have any pictures of this fabric in the flesh?

no there arent any good 'standard' navy fabrics that I like

the upgraded navy i have is quite dark, it's similar to midnite blue, maybe not that dark, but it's definitely not light at all (in color)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads