• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steamers are worth their weight in gold

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
To the OP - I agree, with a caveat. Some fabrics do NOT react well to steam. They shrivel up to a degree that is hard to restore by pressing. So use with care.
I will keep this in mind. So far I have been lucky and nothing has been damaged. And no, no LV steamer here. I really need to change my name. LOL.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really tend to use my steamer only when I get a new garment from W.W. Chan. For the rest, I just let the jacket or suit (on the rare occasions when I wear a suit) hang in my bathroom for a day so the steam from my shower can affect it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Here's a quiz: What are these threads about?

Men's Clothing: Steamers are worth their weight in gold.

Social Life, Food and Drink: Steamers are worth their weight in gold.

Body Consciousness: Steamers are worth their weight in gold.

Dumb Threads: Steamers are worth their weight in gold.

Anne Hathaway.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please please please do not steam a suit!

Wool is a hair like the stuff on top of your head; when a suit has been finished, about an hour is spent pressing it, molding that hair into a shape, much like when a woman puts her hair in curlers. Pressing is an art form in itself which, when badly done, can destroy a suit. Likewise, steam in the hands of the inexperienced can ruin the careful shaping that the pressing has given it. Think of how women squeal about their hair when it is humid or rainy out; that's what steaming is going to do to your suit.

I hesitate to even suggest you take your suit to the cleaners for a pressing as most of them will do a poor job as well; find a reputable tailor and ask him who does his pressing, as the chances are very good that he sends his work out to be done on specialized equipment. Failing that, find the best cleaners in town and have them give it a pressing. A good suit will recover between wearings, and little creases in the elbow, knee and back can be gently removed with an iron and a little steam (use a rolled up towel in the sleeve).

Your suit will love you for it.

lordofpi

Reaction score

And we were still able to take it in a whole other direction with steamer trunks. Sometimes our tangents are good!
wink.gif

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That one is especially disturbing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd

Wool is a hair like the stuff on top of your head; when a suit has been finished, about an hour is spent pressing it, molding that hair into a shape, much like when a woman puts her hair in curlers. Pressing is an art form in itself which, when badly done, can destroy a suit. Likewise, steam in the hands of the inexperienced can ruin the careful shaping that the pressing has given it. Think of how women squeal about their hair when it is humid or rainy out; that's what steaming is going to do to your suit.

I hesitate to even suggest you take your suit to the cleaners for a pressing as most of them will do a poor job as well; find a reputable tailor and ask him who does his pressing, as the chances are very good that he sends his work out to be done on specialized equipment. Failing that, find the best cleaners in town and have them give it a pressing. A good suit will recover between wearings, and little creases in the elbow, knee and back can be gently removed with an iron and a little steam (use a rolled up towel in the sleeve).

no

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Puffy man says "hello" to this thread:

TJ10500-Small.jpg

- B

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
devil.gif

ceaton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd

I don't think anyone is recommending steaming lapels, but for backs and pants??? come on...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ceaton
I don't think anyone is recommending steaming lapels
I do. I steam the lapels of my suits and coats to give them back their roll after travel or if they've been compressed flat in my (narrow) closet. Works like a charm

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
373250041_vzv6K-O.jpg

- B

You have no power here- begone before somebody drops her house on you!
-Glinda

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads