• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks help!!!

neilallen777

Reaction score
if a gentleman HAS to wear socks with white linen pants and brown loafers, what color should they be?

i normally match my socks with my trousers, but not sure if white socks/hosiery would look right. and i normally wouldn't wear socks with linen pants and loafers but i have to this time

suggestions?

highball

Reaction score
hmm, good question. Cream or beige maybe?

82-Greg

Reaction score
Are the pants really white or cream colored?

There is a reason white dress socks are made.

And if your pants really are white, don't eat, drink or sit while wearing them or they will be stained (permanently if the are expensive).

neilallen777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
hmm, good question. Cream or beige maybe?

hmmm, yeah i was sorta thinking the same. gonna run down to brooks brothers now to see what they have. i need to wear them tonight!

neilallen777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 82-Greg
Are the pants really white or cream colored?

There is a reason white dress socks are made.

And if your pants really are white, don't eat, drink or sit while wearing them or they will be stained (permanently if the are expensive).

yes, they are really white not cream. so, are you saying i should wear white dress socks?

neilallen777

Reaction score
*bump*

i just took a look at the pants again and they are off white. not cream or ivory, just off white.

any other i deas?

82-Greg

Reaction score
If the pants are truly white, then the rule says white socks.

Alternatively, if this a casual event (and wearing loafers would imply it is), consider some highly colored Nagrani socks to match the shirt, coat and/or tie. The are online here: http://www.vknagrani.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=112. Others have similar multicolored patterned socks.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neilallen777
*bump*

i just took a look at the pants again and they are off white. not cream or ivory, just off white.

any other i deas?

I wore RLPL 'cream' (but really off white) linen pants with some plain linen socks and light brown shoes. The linen socks were kind of in between the pant and shoe shades and looked fine.

Later I was in Brooks Bros and found a couple pair of summer argyles that went very well with the combo, so I'd say you're on the right track nipping into BB. Good luck!

daveboxster

Reaction score
Nagrani's would work.

Argyles might be best.

Or (GASP!) maybe a pair close to your shoe color. I realize this isn't the rule, but face it... a lot of people match their socks to their shoes. And it look fine.

neilallen777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
I wore RLPL 'cream' (but really off white) linen pants with some plain linen socks and light brown shoes. The linen socks were kind of in between the pant and shoe shades and looked fine.

Later I was in Brooks Bros and found a couple pair of summer argyles that went very well with the combo, so I'd say you're on the right track nipping into BB. Good luck!

i went to brooks bros and found out that they they have already switched over to autumn merchandise and didn't have anything left in storage that would work with my outfit!

Prince

Reaction score
if a gentleman HAS to wear socks with white linen pants and brown loafers, what color should they be?

i normally match my socks with my trousers, but not sure if white socks/hosiery would look right. and i normally wouldn't wear socks with linen pants and loafers but i have to this time

suggestions?

I'd go for a different colour, like pink. In fact, I wear this combo often with pink socks.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went to brooks bros and found out that they they have already switched over to autumn merchandise and didn't have anything left in storage that would work with my outfit!

Check the website - they had them on sale for $9.00 - use them next year.

Styk33

Reaction score
Like the other poster said, pink. Red works too. Your socks will not be seen through your trousers, so it is not of concern if they will be seen. If they can bee seen, then what other under garmets are you wearing
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads