• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew prices are laughable

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have some things in the lower price range from them. i think its not bad before i found this forum most of my clothing came from the mall and i was paying almost the same price. i used to mostly shop at banana republic.

a lot of that stuff is priced high those jackets i don't even bother looking at. i mostly just browse the sweaters.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

800$ for a leather jacket is pretty silly though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
$800 for a good/decent leather jacket is on the cheaper side. $800 for a JCrew jacket? who knows, it could be well made and worth it. Is the hate on it just because it's "J Crew"...cuz i think their quality has gone up in the last couple years and in the grand scheme of full retail priced clothing is priced ok for what it is.

But if you're gonna drop $800 you have more options at your disposal than J Crew

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
Yup agreed. Some of their stuff is a bit crazy, other essential items are reasonably priced. It seems like the quality has gone up since the late 90s early 2000s.

At the same time, they have pretty good sales.

repressedm

Reaction score
Only $720 if you're a student...
smile.gif

briansee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by repressedm
Only $720 if you're a student...
smile.gif

Actually, $680 because they bumped the educator/student discount to 15%
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't see J. Crew in the same league as American Eagle and Abercombie. I agree their prices are sometimes out of whack. You can go to BR and find much better quality and style for much less. But at least from what I've seen, they cater to a more grown-up customer.

ashenwreck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briansee
Actually, $680 because they bumped the educator/student discount to 15%
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

There's a 20 percent off code good for today only, too, on purchases $175 and up. Code is "PRIVATESALE".

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I don't see J. Crew in the same league as American Eagle and Abercombie. I agree their prices are sometimes out of whack. You can go to BR and find much better quality and style for much less. But at least from what I've seen, they cater to a more grown-up customer.

ummm...no

j. crew has much better quality than br, i don't even bother setting foot into a br anymore and for people complaining about the prices at j. crew, i guess you must be shopping at a different store than i am. i think the prices are more than fair and they're always sending me emails with 20% OFF codes and if you stack that with the student/teacher in-store discount that's 35-40% OFF, so how is that over-priced??? i mean you get a $60 for $35 and if that's too expensive than i must be in the wrong forum then because last time i checked people here were paying $200+ for BoO shirts and even more than that for denim...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
The thing with jcrew is, you can find pretty much anything at 20% or 50% (if you wait for sales). Most everything will reach sales so you just need patience. Otherwise, it's not that expensive. I mean, for the retail price, you could probably just save up a little more and buy something else, but good for when you need something quick. Otherwise, take advantage of sales. It's not like jcrew has a ton of MUST HAVE items at the beginning of each season

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seriously jcrew sales, shirts for $14.99? How can you beat that

Banana republic quality is trash, everything i own from there has fallen apart, besides the boxers

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
The thing with jcrew is, you can find pretty much anything at 20% or 50% (if you wait for sales). Most everything will reach sales so you just need patience. Otherwise, it's not that expensive. I mean, for the retail price, you could probably just save up a little more and buy something else, but good for when you need something quick. Otherwise, take advantage of sales. It's not like jcrew has a ton of MUST HAVE items at the beginning of each season

that's exactly my point, i don't think i have ever paid full-price for an item at j. crew. the fit is actually great for me and i wear it mostly for work which is exactly what i love about the place. i save money on my work wardrobe, so i can buy more expensive pieces for my personal collection. i'll be damned if i ever wear one of my BoO shirts to work where i might spill coffee on myself, get ink on the sleeve or any other little stain that's bound to happen, but i don't mind if it's one of my j. crew shirts cause i know it's easily replaceable...

Oxnard

Reaction score
I don't understand a lot of the hate for j.crew...for years now it has been my go to place for cheap shirts and sweaters, really I see the shirts as being a pretty good deal at retail and even better on sale, and considering all the discounts and such most of the shirts can be had for $40-$50. They use a lot of classic patterns and styles (tartans, gingham checks, etc), which places like Banana Repulic simply do not have. I went into a BR the other day and at least 75% of their shirts were the same crappy, multi-colored stripes that resonate with kids who dress up for the club scene. If you don't believe me, I just checked their website too, their "casual shirts" have really gone down in the last few years...its all stripes!
http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...y.do?cid=34921
I could see why many would consider an $800 leather jacket from them to be outrageous, but really in the grand scheme of things there are many high end designers who pump out outerwear that is of inferior quality and is yet three times the price. Though I agree that jacket in particular has a pretty nasty color to it. Ive noticed that many times each season, J.crew releases what they refer to as "specialty collectors items", which usually come in the form of $800 jackets or $200 belts, as well as their "collaborative" efforts, such as the $150 Thomas Mason shirts, etc., which is really such a jump from their usually price bases. I know I would never pay that kind of money for a jacket from J.crew simply because I have better options, but for the average mall shopper who is ignorant of any sources outside of the mall, they can really do a lot worse than what J.crew has to offer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads